Need an opinion on this exhaust set up

Phil1098

Reaction score
OK, so I bought FR500S mufflers and when the rest of the exhaust was stock, they were fine, had a nice sound to it. They were a bit too quiet, but not bad. I live in corn cob county and there is no emission checks here, so I put on Kooks long tube headers and an off road no cat H pipe. Now the car sounds fine at idle, but is REALLY loud when there is any throttle opening.

I do not want to add resonators, so here is my question: Does anyone have long tubes, off road H, and GTB Bullitt mufflers on their car?

I am considering buying the GTB mufflers and I'll just sell the FR500S mufflers. I can always try bolting the stock mufflers back on, but I suspect they will again be too quiet. Please let me know if you have this exact set up as I am not interested in any other mufflers at this time. Thanks, Phil

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
Not sure why you don't want to try the resonators?

The factory mufflers would be a free 15 minute swap and probably wouldn't cost you any power. Try them out.

The GTB's aren't much louder than the stock GT mufflers. They just have a deeper tone (IMO,) which makes them sound a lot better. Car is a sleeper, even blown with the stock bullitt exhaust, nobody gives a second look.

I'm ditching mine for KR's because I'm tired of watching roadkill and being jealous of their obnoxious stupid exhausts. Unfortunately the local police services will probably track me down this year.

AlbertD

forum member
Reaction score
I used to run GTBs with an off road h. As mentioned by eighty, they are barely louder than stock, but do have a much deeper tone especially so paired with the h pipe.

I still have my GTBs stored in the garage that I could sell you. If you are interested, let me know and I can PM you some pictures.

Phil1098

Reaction score
Not sure why you don't want to try the resonators?

The factory mufflers would be a free 15 minute swap and probably wouldn't cost you any power. Try them out.

I don't want to cut up the exhaust and make more joints so resonators are out for me.

I plan on trying the stock mufflers again, like you said, it's only a few minutes to try.

Phil1098

Reaction score
I used to run GTBs with an off road h. As mentioned by eighty, they are barely louder than stock, but do have a much deeper tone especially so paired with the h pipe.

I still have my GTBs stored in the garage that I could sell you. If you are interested, let me know and I can PM you some pictures.

I don't know what made such a difference in the volume, losing the cats or putting on the long tubes. Hell, maybe and probably both. All I know is it went from fairly mild sounding to really loud with this set up. Did you also have long long tubes?

Pauly

Way too loud
Reaction score
I had kind of the same problem. Had Borla s-type cat back . I believe the Ford racing stuff is Borla. Added Borla long tube headers, Borla x-pipe and no cats. It was way too loud. okay at idle, but too shreaky as the revs build. After much research, bought a MBRP race cat-back system. Got a real good price when it was on sale, and this solved the problem of the exhaust note. It is still loud per say, but much deeper in tone. Hope this helps.

Phil1098

Reaction score
OK, well putting the stock mufflers back on was a complete waste of time. The headers and off road H made a HUGE difference to the FR500S mufflers and almost none to the stock mufflers, WAY to quiet. Well fuck, back to the drawing board. Maybe I should look at MBRP or something else.

06redgt

forum member
Reaction score
OK, so I bought FR500S mufflers and when the rest of the exhaust was stock, they were fine, had a nice sound to it. They were a bit too quiet, but not bad. I live in corn cob county and there is no emission checks here, so I put on Kooks long tube headers and an off road no cat H pipe. Now the car sounds fine at idle, but is REALLY loud when there is any throttle opening.

I do not want to add resonators, so here is my question: Does anyone have long tubes, off road H, and GTB Bullitt mufflers on their car?

I am considering buying the GTB mufflers and I'll just sell the FR500S mufflers. I can always try bolting the stock mufflers back on, but I suspect they will again be too quiet. Please let me know if you have this exact set up as I am not interested in any other mufflers at this time. Thanks, Phil

I currently have the same headers and mid pipe as you with GTA's, and looking for a new sound as well. Did you ever try the GTB's? Curious on how they sound with our setup. I was thinking about trying the FR500S mufflers, but not now after how loud you say they are.

The GTA's sound good at full throttle and when I'm barely on the gas, but have a rasp that really annoys me at mid throttle. I thought about welding in some resonators but heard some clips and don't think I'd like them.

I might just put the stock mufflers on for a while until I find something else.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back