Need help with smog! (CALIFORNIA)

blahdo_s197gt

forum member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, this year I have to smog my stang and I want to prepare for it. I'm in the shitty state of California which is the hardest when it comes to smog, however they did change there smog procedures which does somewhat help.

There is no longer a sniffer for smog, they do everything through the OB2 (Onboard Diagnostics) of the vehicle. One thing the vehicle must have is the stock tune, anything showing the states computer that the ecu has been flashed or tampered with will result in a fail. (Correct me if i'm wrong and you have figured out a way to cheat this)

These are the things it checks for:
Visual Inspections:
Crankcase Emissions Controls
Fuel Evaporative System (EVAP)
Exhaust gas after treatment systems
Exhaust Gas Re-circulation (EGR)
Ignition Spark Controls
Fuel Metering Systems
Air Injection System
Computers, Sensors, and Switches
Other Emissions Related Components
Liquid Fuel Leak
Visible Smoke Test
Functional Inspections:
On-Board Diagnostics (OBD)
Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL)

Passing visual isn't a problem, I just need to find a way to not throw CEL with my offroad h pipe. Since there is no sniffer, I don't have to worry about the sniffer picking up the emissions, I do however need to worry about my Oxygen Sensors throwing a code after driving with the stock tune for 100 miles. How can I prevent my 02's from throwing a code. I'm thinking if i zip tie them somewhere outside of the socket will it prevent my ecu from throwing a code? If I use a MIL eliminator I don't think that will work either, as the check engine light would essentially still be there right?

I'm thinking of either hanging them outside of the socket or getting something like this, http://www.42draftdesigns.com/o2-sensor-spacer/

Will that work^^?

I really don't want to have to take my midpipe on and off, especially when I decide on putting long tube headers on the car. If I can prevent the CEL from coming on then it should pass. Anything such as my JLT Intake and Boss manifold is easy to take off and put back to stock.

Any tips & suggestions are greatly appreciated, thanks guys!

Vehicle is a 2011 Mustang 5.0

Note: My understanding is when they plug there tool into the ECU is also reads the vin on the ecu to match the car, so I don't think using a stock 5.0 would work. Correct me if i'm wrong!

Last edited:

05gtowner

forum member
Reaction score
First thing first is the long tube headers isn't going to work. There is no provision or LTH on the market that are CARB EO certified. So whether you have a offroad H or LTH it isn't going to matter. They are both illegal anyway. There is no way around it and headers will not pass a visual inspection anyway. There are a few tunes that are CA legal, mine for example is as it came with the FRPP power pack and has a carb EO number. You would be better served in the long run to just supercharge it with any of the few CA approved kits. Roush, Ford Racing, Saleen etc are just a few that come to mind. I don't know what mods you have on the car now but chances are they aren't going to make as much power as even a low boost forced induction system. With that said it isn't cheap. So for the right now my advice is to save the grand you would spend on good long tubes and put it toward FI. Also removing the ORH pipe is eight bolts and you are done. Put your stock one back on smog it then reinstall your ORH if that is what you want.

Have you already received your notice from the DMV requesting proof of insurance, fees and a smog cert? Remember some cars trigger a STAR program smog which will still require you to go on the rollers. Here is some more info. https://www.bar.ca.gov/Consumer/STAR_Program/STAR_Program_Fact_Sheet.html
While most cars just do the new OBD II testing but if your car is 'likely' to fail a smog test due to age or because you have failed before you will have to do a STAR testing. I personally think they target our cars as I have had to go onto the rollers almost every time with my wife's 02 and my 05 mustang. Both have never failed a smog test either.

Last edited:

07 Boss

Reaction score
Yep. The OR pipe will not pass the visual. As far as fooling the OBD on the rear sensors is concerned I made a set of O2 sims that work but don"t think they will work on the 5.0. I've seen some spacers that have a mini catalytic substrate in there that might work but I haven't actually seen for myself if they actually work or not.

http://bigdaddiesgarage.com/

Glad I don't live in Cali and more.

travelers

Reaction score
Yep. The OR pipe will not pass the visual. As far as fooling the OBD on the rear sensors is concerned I made a set of O2 sims that work but don"t think they will work on the 5.0. I've seen some spacers that have a mini catalytic substrate in there that might work but I haven't actually seen for myself if they actually work or not.

I think I'll keep that site in my fav. that might work as the '11+ are wide ban verses the older ones using a narrow ban.

01yellerCobra

forum member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter the tune that's in the car. The test computer isn't going to know if it's been flashed by the dealer or with an FRPP Procal. They look for the readiness monitors. I think you're allowed one or two not ready, but don't quote me on that. I had my 2008 Expedition smogged with an aftermarket tune in it and it passed fine. The tech liked my Borla exhaust too.

gtkid

forum member
Reaction score
Not sure about the coyotes, but for the 4.6 they can detect the aftermarket tune and the after market air box, it is illegal to upgrade any of them in ca. i just waited to do my mods in my 4.6 because i know i have to take them off to smog. just smogged the other day then putting my mods in tmw with my registration due in 2 months.(a clean smog test in cali is good for 90 days)

blahdo_s197gt

forum member
Reaction score
First thing first is the long tube headers isn't going to work. There is no provision or LTH on the market that are CARB EO certified. So whether you have a offroad H or LTH it isn't going to matter. They are both illegal anyway. There is no way around it and headers will not pass a visual inspection anyway. There are a few tunes that are CA legal, mine for example is as it came with the FRPP power pack and has a carb EO number. You would be better served in the long run to just supercharge it with any of the few CA approved kits. Roush, Ford Racing, Saleen etc are just a few that come to mind. I don't know what mods you have on the car now but chances are they aren't going to make as much power as even a low boost forced induction system. With that said it isn't cheap. So for the right now my advice is to save the grand you would spend on good long tubes and put it toward FI. Also removing the ORH pipe is eight bolts and you are done. Put your stock one back on smog it then reinstall your ORH if that is what you want.

Have you already received your notice from the DMV requesting proof of insurance, fees and a smog cert? Remember some cars trigger a STAR program smog which will still require you to go on the rollers. Here is some more info. https://www.bar.ca.gov/Consumer/STAR_Program/STAR_Program_Fact_Sheet.html
While most cars just do the new OBD II testing but if your car is 'likely' to fail a smog test due to age or because you have failed before you will have to do a STAR testing. I personally think they target our cars as I have had to go onto the rollers almost every time with my wife's 02 and my 05 mustang. Both have never failed a smog test either.

Kooks makes a long tube header with a catted "green" h pipe that doesn't throw codes with the stock tune, however thats way out of my price range. As stated above visual inspection isn't the problem, it's just not getting the codes to pop up on the monitor.

blahdo_s197gt

forum member
Reaction score

I think this may work, I just need to prevent the ecu from throwing a code and it'll only be used for smog, after that i'll just take it off. Would I need to put my stock airbox back on, or would my jlt 110mm intake be fine with the stock tune? I just can't throw any codes and i'll pass.

blahdo_s197gt

forum member
Reaction score
Not sure about the coyotes, but for the 4.6 they can detect the aftermarket tune and the after market air box, it is illegal to upgrade any of them in ca. i just waited to do my mods in my 4.6 because i know i have to take them off to smog. just smogged the other day then putting my mods in tmw with my registration due in 2 months.(a clean smog test in cali is good for 90 days)

Did your ecu run vin? Maybe I could use another coyote?

chair

forum member
Reaction score
i passed smog with an OR pipe in california. i just cleared the MIL lamp and drove the car nonstop until all the monitors passed and drove straight to the smog place before the MIL light triggered again. i bought the car with an OR pipe and the rear O2 sensors werent turned off so this was my route around that. They didnt check the visual or i would have failed that for sure.

01yellerCobra

forum member
Reaction score

You can run an aftermarket CAI on a 4.6. It just needs a CARB number. We have a K&N intake on ours and it's passed. Even though the jerk off tried to find something to fail the car for.

gtkid

forum member
Reaction score
You can run an aftermarket CAI on a 4.6. It just needs a CARB number. We have a K&N intake on ours and it's passed. Even though the jerk off tried to find something to fail the car for.

May as well just keep the stock one on then. I've always been told if it doesn't need a tune it's not worth it

07 Boss

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter the tune that's in the car. The test computer isn't going to know if it's been flashed by the dealer or with an FRPP Procal. They look for the readiness monitors. I think you're allowed one or two not ready, but don't quote me on that. I had my 2008 Expedition smogged with an aftermarket tune in it and it passed fine. The tech liked my Borla exhaust too.

I was reading the new smog computers can tell if a tune is the original or altered. Yes, depending on the year, you are allowed so many "not ready" but you have to have everything turned on.

Did your ecu run vin? Maybe I could use another coyote?

Swapping vehicles is not an option when doing OBD testing

i passed smog with an OR pipe in california. i just cleared the MIL lamp and drove the car nonstop until all the monitors passed and drove straight to the smog place before the MIL light triggered again. i bought the car with an OR pipe and the rear O2 sensors werent turned off so this was my route around that. They didnt check the visual or i would have failed that for sure.

This can be done but it is very tricky on the timing.

01yellerCobra

forum member
Reaction score
May as well just keep the stock one on then. I've always been told if it doesn't need a tune it's not worth it

The CAI was put on to dress up the engine compartment. I just wanted to point out some kits do have a CARB number.

I'm half tempted to take our 06 and get it smogged with the current tune. According to Lund none of the monitors are turned off. I need to see if I can take it to a guy I know and if he can just run the check to see if it'll pass.

Marble

forum member
Reaction score
There are counties in Cali that do not require any smog!!

Pick an address and change your registration. Insurance doesn't care. Pay your registration in time and you will never have you smog your car. Even if it's late you won't have to ever smog. Just a little extra coin for being late.

05gtowner

forum member
Reaction score
op
There are counties in Cali that do not require any smog!!

Pick an address and change your registration. Insurance doesn't care. Pay your registration in time and you will never have you smog your car. Even if it's late you won't have to ever smog. Just a little extra coin for being late.

This is true but, you should probably make sure the address you pick is either a relative or a friend. The DMV has started cracking down recently on PO boxes so that is now a dwindling resource. Remember too if you ever get stopped it is going to be a red flag for the officer as to why your vehicle reg and DL dont match. So if you get a ticket the notice is going to go to that address. Again not a huge issue for those who use a relatives or friends address or have a rental property in one of those counties. Realize though that you are potentially committing a crime if you use a random persons address.

Marble

forum member
Reaction score
Mostly true. You can change it right back afterwards.

Tickets issued in person go to wherever your driver license address is or the address you give the officer.

I hope the OP gets whatever he needs to get passed.

05gtowner

forum member
Reaction score
Whenever I wrote them I would always ask for license, reg and proof of ins then issue the citation to the registered address of the vehicle. If it was a moving violation it was what was on the DL. Also remember that the insurance co gets their rates at where the vehicle is 'housed'. So you may be paying more or perhaps less in vehicle insurance because the address of where the vehicle is located is a higher or lower crime rate than where you actually live.

OP, make sure whomever you take it too actually knows what they are doing. So many of these smog tech's don't with either new or old vehicles. I have had guys tell me that the CARB EO number is wrong (I brought along the actual state website paperwork showing it is right) or that certain parts are not factory. That will probably get you more so then anything else.

blahdo_s197gt

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback guys! I'm definitely going to try out that 02 simulator with the mini cat in it, that should do the trick. I just need something that will last me a little over 100 miles (after the ecu does its cycle for smog), then i'll take it right off. As for the rear 02's, would hanging them with zip ties out of the pipe also work?

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back