Need input on mods

Chilliwack 42

forum member
Reaction score
I'm just looking on some input on my future plans for my car. I have a 2007 GT with a manual. My best ET so far is 12.45 and I trap between 108-110 MPH. I think there's room for improvement with my current mods. The 12.45 was with a 1.702 60' and I have been able to pull a 1.656 60', but I've been running into issues with the shifter not going into gear resulting in an even slower ET. I'm hoping motor mounts, torque limiters and an aftermarket shifter will help with that. Below is my current mods...

JLT CAI with Bamachips email 93 race tune, Comp Mutha Thumpr Cams, CMCV Delete Plate, Steeda Pulleys, BBK Shorty Headers, Flowmaster 40 series, O/R X-Pipe, Coastline Driveshaft, 4.10 Gears, Truetrac Posi, Moser Axles, MSD Ford Launch Master, SLP Line Lock, Steeda Billet Strut Brace, Steeda Rad Support, Steeda Billet LCA's and Relocate Brackets, Koni Yellows, Eibach Drag Springs, 15" Bogarts all around, ET Fronts and ET Drags.

My plan for the quest to 11's is to switch to long tube headers, Ford Racing Intake Manifold, Ford Racing Throttle Body, Meziere Water Pump, and getting it dyno tuned properly.

Eventually I would also like to get some Livernois Stage 3 Heads, TSS Oil Pump, and switching to the 2 valve chain tensioners. I just have some questions.

- I currently have Comp Limiters, how much of a loss will I see switching to lockouts and is the loss worth the reliability for a guy who's staying N/A?

- I have Comp Mutha Thumpr cams now, how much of an additional gain would I see switching to the Comp #127500 cam or would the #127600 be a better choice?

- Also is this cooling mod http://s197forum.com/forum/showpost.php?p=393245&postcount=522 worth it for a street car?

- Any other suggestions to get as close to 11.5 while staying N/A on a daily driver?

- Should I be upgrading to 39 lb injectors?

- What would switching 4.30 gears be a good idea for this setup?

Sorry for the long post.

BlackPony

forum member
Reaction score
you are getting good numbers!!!
That is only a dream for me to get 12's

GrnBullitt08

Dale Jr
Reaction score
You said your shifter isn't going into gear and it looks like your still runnin on your stock clutch and flywheel. May want to look into the slave cylinder and clutch as well. But torque limiters, new shifter, and motor mounts might help out with that issue also. It looks like your heading in the same direction as MAtt D.

If you plan on staying NA skip the 4.30s and go 4.56 all the rest of the mods look good.

Possibly a tubular k member would be a nice addition as well.

Chilliwack 42

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah I've read most of Matt D's threads. I wish I could say I'm shooting for 10's haha, but I'm not planning on adding a bar and our local track requires one. My car isn't going on the Matt D diet, but I'm sure I'll eventually put a Tubular K-Member in. I drive on the highway alot, my street tires are 27.2" tires and my ET Drags are 26". I think 4.56 would be too low of a gear for me. The clutch is holding up alright for now. I'm pretty sure my gear change issues will be solved with mounts and limiters. I can actually feel the shifter move around when the tranny and car move around in corners. When it comes time to replace the clutch I'll probably go with an Exedy Mach 500, don't think I need a 600. I wonder if it's a smart idea to invest in the Jesel Solid Lash Posts or stick with the stockers. I wish the Jesel Roller Rockers were more affordable, but I can't justify spending that much for a 20-30 HP gain.

RedFire07GT

11sec N/A 3V
Reaction score
I guess i can say im no the same boat as you buddy, Im debating on ripping out my FRPP 4.10s and switching over to some 4.30s or even a 4.56... But if i do this then a 28" tire is coming with some bogarts, so it wont be till Tax return season lol.

Goodluck no your build!

08gt4u

forum member
Reaction score
just food for tought my friend with a manual was having the same issues of shifter not going into gear and it ended up beign the tranny itself that needed a rebuilt.he said it used to feal like if there was something blocking the shifter when going into 2nd and 3rd.shortly after the whole tranny took a crap.

Chilliwack 42

forum member
Reaction score
It shifts fine on the street even if I drive hard. It's only at them track using slicks that I'm running into problems. Sometimes it catches when shifting into second or sometimes third. The stock shifter is weak and isn't mounted directly to the transmission. From what I've read it seems pretty common for the shifter to start catching when running lower times, plus those cams are giving the stock motor mounts a work out. I'm switching to prothane motor mounts and installing torque limiters. I'm not going to worry about it until I've atleast done that. Is anyone on here running the 127600 cam?

08gt4u

forum member
Reaction score
his started out like that.on the street was fine but anything over 5k rpms or so it was a mission to get it into 2nd then a month later it was 2nd and 3rd.eventually had to get rebuilt.

queenbeeGT

grab her
Reaction score
I'm just looking on some input on my future plans for my car. I have a 2007 GT with a manual. My best ET so far is 12.45 and I trap between 108-110 MPH. I think there's room for improvement with my current mods. The 12.45 was with a 1.702 60' and I have been able to pull a 1.656 60', but I've been running into issues with the shifter not going into gear resulting in an even slower ET. I'm hoping motor mounts, torque limiters and an aftermarket shifter will help with that. Below is my current mods...

JLT CAI with Bamachips email 93 race tune, Comp Mutha Thumpr Cams, CMCV Delete Plate, Steeda Pulleys, BBK Shorty Headers, Flowmaster 40 series, O/R X-Pipe, Coastline Driveshaft, 4.10 Gears, Truetrac Posi, Moser Axles, MSD Ford Launch Master, SLP Line Lock, Steeda Billet Strut Brace, Steeda Rad Support, Steeda Billet LCA's and Relocate Brackets, Koni Yellows, Eibach Drag Springs, 15" Bogarts all around, ET Fronts and ET Drags.

My plan for the quest to 11's is to switch to long tube headers, Ford Racing Intake Manifold, Ford Racing Throttle Body, Meziere Water Pump, and getting it dyno tuned properly.

Eventually I would also like to get some Livernois Stage 3 Heads, TSS Oil Pump, and switching to the 2 valve chain tensioners. I just have some questions.

- I currently have Comp Limiters, how much of a loss will I see switching to lockouts and is the loss worth the reliability for a guy who's staying N/A?

- I have Comp Mutha Thumpr cams now, how much of an additional gain would I see switching to the Comp #127500 cam or would the #127600 be a better choice?

- Also is this cooling mod http://s197forum.com/forum/showpost.php?p=393245&postcount=522 worth it for a street car?

- Any other suggestions to get as close to 11.5 while staying N/A on a daily driver?

- Should I be upgrading to 39 lb injectors?

- What would switching 4.30 gears be a good idea for this setup?

Sorry for the long post.
are those mutha thumpers lopey?

Chilliwack 42

forum member
Reaction score
Yes ma'am they are. There's plenty of clips on youtube

Not my car and the audio sucks, but you get the idea. I've heard of gains from 30-35 HP even as much as 43 HP. You will lose low end torque which is why 4.10 gears are recommended. Also there are a lot of cams that yield higher gains.

I'm still debating between Comp #127500 or #127600. I think I'd have to switch to 4.30 gears the loss of torque would suck when driving around town. I think I'll keep the limiters as well to help keep low end loss to a minimum. Maybe the other option would be a custom grind with lower duration and a tighter lobe separation. Looks like I'm going to be looking through a lot of old cam threads to help me decide.

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back