New Clunk!!!

Royski

forum member
Reaction score
OK, so we finally narrowed down my rear clunk to be most likely the slip joint in mypowerhouse driveshaft since it has some paly back and forth.

Now, after having the CHE K member brace/torque limiters installed, i've noticed that I have a clunk from the drivers side front end whenever I turn the wheel to the left and then back again (clunks going both ways).

At the shop today we put the car up on the lift and checked all over the place. Cannot find anythign that looks wrong/needs to be fixed. Nothing is rubbing or even close to rubbing and all bolts are tight. Front tires were also checked and everything is right.

Any ideas on anythign we might have overlooked to check?

Ken04

gm troll basher
Reaction score
OK, so we finally narrowed down my rear clunk to be most likely the slip joint in mypowerhouse driveshaft since it has some paly back and forth.

Now, after having the CHE K member brace/torque limiters installed, i've noticed that I have a clunk from the drivers side front end whenever I turn the wheel to the left and then back again (clunks going both ways).

At the shop today we put the car up on the lift and checked all over the place. Cannot find anythign that looks wrong/needs to be fixed. Nothing is rubbing or even close to rubbing and all bolts are tight. Front tires were also checked and everything is right.

Any ideas on anythign we might have overlooked to check?

check the upper sway bar mount ? Usually the most likely culprit. How about your stut mounts ? Original equipment ? They are junk if they are. I replaced mine and my car has just 34,000 on it even though it's an 05.

Royski

forum member
Reaction score
check the upper sway bar mount ? Usually the most likely culprit. How about your stut mounts ? Original equipment ? They are junk if they are. I replaced mine and my car has just 34,000 on it even though it's an 05.

Forgot to mention I have D-spec struts up front with steeda strut mounts (both a few months old). Car si also lowered about 1" on sport springs.

Not sure if we checked the upper sway bar mount, will have to look next time under the car.

irishpwr46

Official Site Vandal
Reaction score
i get a front clunk as well. usually when going lock to lock. im replacing the uppers with gt 500 mounts

NastyStang113

Made in U.S.A.
Reaction score
Strut tower mount if it's when turning the wheel back and forth. Purchase the GT500 mounts, they are cheaper and slightly stiffer.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
No front end noise here, but I am getting a rearend clunk, checked the sway, lca's, watts link, everything was tight im guessing it could be the uca as its the only thing i havent checked. It only does it when shifting weight at low speed turns 25mph, and its predictbale and repeatbale. I have a coast alum ds with the adaptor plate, it couldnt be that could it? These mods have been on the car for over a year and have never made noise before i have a J&M uca btw.

NastyStang113

Made in U.S.A.
Reaction score
It's the UCA, mine does the same thing. I guess the aftermarket UCAs just transfer more noise and harmonics compared to the factory soft bushing they use.

Royski

forum member
Reaction score
i get a front clunk as well. usually when going lock to lock. im replacing the uppers with gt 500 mounts

I'm already running steeda mounts. This clunk happens about halfway to full lock turning left, then will happen again at the same point going back to straight.

For my rear end clunk, it appears that its the driveshaft that has some play and because of the stiffer UCA, i'm hearing it more in the cabin.

Mylilpony

forum member
Reaction score
the steeda strut mounts suck big balls IMO. the o-rings need replacing after a while....errr at least they did on one of mine. I replaced the o-ring, and took them off the car bc they were noisy as hell. I wound up giving them to a friend... i believe he is running them without any issues. could be my luck though- never had luck with steeda stuff.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
It's the UCA, mine does the same thing. I guess the aftermarket UCAs just transfer more noise and harmonics compared to the factory soft bushing they use.

It only started doing it recently, weird, i figured it was the uca. Well looks like i will have to check that out soon. Anyway to stop this clunk?

08gt4u

forum member
Reaction score
im so tired of chasing clunks,rattles and shakes that is pissing me off to the point of getting rid of the car.i too get that clunk and i have it narrow down to uca.in reallity i think is the stiif uca mounts making the driveshaft clunk.mines started after the uca and lcas went in.the front strut noise i had ended up beign a loose strut nut.i torqued it down to specs and no problems in the front so far.my new thing now is when im doing a burnout as soon as the car gets to 5k rpms the car hops and rattles like it it was wheel hopping in the spot.

Last edited:

TfnG

forum member
Reaction score
my 08 has 5000 miles and i always get a clunk sound in the rear somewhere. car has a bone stock drivetrain and suspension minus the lca's i installed just today. while under there i looked around and saw nothing loose, damaged, etc. but i have been wondering what my clunk noise is too.

Back