new clutch and flywheel=flashing check engine light

onebadgsx

Reaction score
driving home from getting my new flywheel and clutch installed, i got a random check engine light flashing. it did this prolly 6 times in a 45 mile trip. no codes, even while light was flashing. seems that power would drop off as this was going on.

did a search on clutch/flywheel installs but no definite answer on what to do?

do i need to get the crank position sensor reflashed, or something that needs to be reset? i asked the guy that installed it and he had no answers?

thanks

TrackWhore

forum member
Reaction score
Flashing cel means missfire. Could be that the crank or a cam sensor got damaged during the install.

gimpy

forum member
Reaction score
Sounds like you need the crank sensor relearn. When I did my mcleod install the same thing happened until I performed the relearn.

onebadgsx

Reaction score
where would the crank sensor be? i dont think it would be the cam sensor since they were not under the hood

gimpy

forum member
Reaction score
Flashing cel means missfire. Could be that the crank or a cam sensor got damaged during the install.

The car is detecting a misfire because the crank position sensor is slightly off from its original position.

where would the crank sensor be? i dont think it would be the cam sensor since they were not under the hood

The sensor is behind the flywheel.

Last edited by a moderator:

onebadgsx

Reaction score
Sounds like you need the crank sensor relearn. When I did my mcleod install the same thing happened until I performed the relearn.

how did you do the relearn, is this a dealership task? does this effect the aftermarket tune?

gimpy

forum member
Reaction score
how did you do the relearn, is this a dealership task? does this effect the aftermarket tune?

You need to have the dealer do the relearn unless you have access to a modis scanner with up-to-date files or the ford ids tool. It will not effect your tune. Hope that helps! :beer:

Implosive_disgorgence

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah like everyone said, take it to the dealer to do a crank sensor re learn. Don't drive the car hard until you take care of this

onebadgsx

Reaction score
well today driving i got a constant check engine light p0300 and p0304 i think. cant remember exactly but it was a random misfire and random misfire cyl #4.

i have an appt at 9 to do the crank position sensor relearn. i hope that will fix it.

btw what are yall guys paying to have it done? i have been quoted anywhere from 100 to 150. i found a non ford service repair guy that said he will do it for 100, he has the ids with fully updated software.

guilloe

Reaction score
It's happen to my car when the dealer changed the clutch, mine do the same thing but misfire on #3 and random misfire, after the relearn never happen again.

onebadgsx

Reaction score
Got it done this morning everything seems to be working like its supposed to. Dealer won't do it free as I changed the clutch and the car is modded.

collibr1

forum member
Reaction score
Got it done this morning everything seems to be working like its supposed to. Dealer won't do it free as I changed the clutch and the car is modded.
That sucks. What did they charge to do the relearn?

NA-Stang

AMC #8 aka "The Jockey"
Reaction score
Hate to drag up an old thread, but I just ran into this issue.

Installed a new clutch, and had the transmission worked on. I have had a flashing check engine light twice since, and once the light stayed on and read two codes: Misfire on cyl 4 and 7

Sounds like I need to have the crank sensor relearn.

I have a tune, and I see from previous comments this isn't an issue. Question is though, will I need to reload my tune, or will all be fine after the relearn?

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
Hate to drag up an old thread, but I just ran into this issue.

Installed a new clutch, and had the transmission worked on. I have had a flashing check engine light twice since, and once the light stayed on and read two codes: Misfire on cyl 4 and 7

Sounds like I need to have the crank sensor relearn.

I have a tune, and I see from previous comments this isn't an issue. Question is though, will I need to reload my tune, or will all be fine after the relearn?

You just need to have the crank sensor re-learn procedure done. No need to reload tune.

5lho

forum member
Reaction score
If you have an X4, you can do the crank relearn yourself, with it......

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back