New front control arms, clunk clunk clunk

Shok

forum member
Reaction score
On my 05 GT the lower BJs were going out so I ordered new control arms. They are supposed to be an upgrade that was on the GT 500 but the box says 07 Cobra, that's only a mild WTF.
The big WTF is after I put them in there is a lot of clunking, it sounds like the wheels are loose. I also put a CHE k member brace at the same time, and triple checked that I tightened everything. Is this set up just known to be extra noisey?

I put it up on rhino ramps for now and am letting it cool off before I go check the bolts again. Any ideas?
Thanks.

Shok

forum member
Reaction score
Ok solved. I have no real idea why, but the tops of the struts loosened up a ton.
I rechecked all the bolts from the control arm installation and as soon as I test drove to the end of the driveway I heard the clunk again when going off the edge of the curb.
Went back and forth on that spot with the hood open and saw the struts jump and figured it out.

I may or may not have ghostrided it down the driveway to watch the suspension and figure this all out. :)

CJ-

forum member
Reaction score
Ok solved. I have no real idea why, but the tops of the struts loosened up a ton.
I rechecked all the bolts from the control arm installation and as soon as I test drove to the end of the driveway I heard the clunk again when going off the edge of the curb.
Went back and forth on that spot with the hood open and saw the struts jump and figured it out.

I may or may not have ghostrided it down the driveway to watch the suspension and figure this all out. :)

lol hey atleast you fixed it and no one died. Was it the 4 strut mount nuts or the large nut that holds the strut to the mount that had loosened?

Shok

forum member
Reaction score
It was the large nut.
Just got back from the alignment shop, they inspected it and set the toe. They said some camber bolts wouldn't hurt but I'm good to go.
They want 70 per side for the bolt, won't be doing that soon!

thump_rrr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
It was the large nut.
Just got back from the alignment shop, they inspected it and set the toe. They said some camber bolts wouldn't hurt but I'm good to go.
They want 70 per side for the bolt, won't be doing that soon!
$70 per side installed or just for the bolt?
My front tires are worth nearly $800 a pair.

Shok

forum member
Reaction score
I didn't really ask but I think installed, I knew I wasn't gonna be buying them anytime soon.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back