New Motor Smoking??

bry9

forum member
Reaction score
What are your opinions? It puffs white smoke at startup... If idling for 1 minute or longer it starts to smoke.... If driving around it seems ok.... But when i come up to a stop sign using the motor to slow down.. (stick car). It puffs alot of smoke upon accelerating??.... If I run the car for a while,then turn it off,and immediatly start it up again it puffs alot of smoke... It all smells like oil???

Valve seals or oil rings???

I already changed out the Turbo,and its still the same.........

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
head gasket possibly? leaking coolant? thats what comes to mind for white smoke. i believe Don had the same thing, turned out to be the heads i think

bry9

forum member
Reaction score
head gasket possibly? leaking coolant? thats what comes to mind for white smoke. i believe Don had the same thing, turned out to be the heads i think

I did put heads from BBR on it upon rebuild. I am thinking valve seals.. Its definitly oil,you can smell it...

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
definately get it checked out and let us know!. hopefully it isnt too bad

bry9

forum member
Reaction score
Ya, Im going to pull the heads this weekend... It almost seems like there are no valve seals in the heads..... I pulled the plugs,and I can see oil sitting on top of the pistons in the valve reliefs..

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Paco Pony has the same issue with his stroker. Been fighting it for a couple of months now. Has smoked since the day it went in.

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score
Zackly... I had a crack in the head. Adam diagnosed it in a matter of minutes by using some sort of "sniffer" tester that could detect gasoline in the coolant overflow tank.

BTW, is your coolant level dropping or holding steady? My would slowly drop, which also was a good indicator.

bry9

forum member
Reaction score
Zackly... I had a crack in the head. Adam diagnosed it in a matter of minutes by using some sort of "sniffer" tester that could detect gasoline in the coolant overflow tank.

BTW, is your coolant level dropping or holding steady? My would slowly drop, which also was a good indicator.

No coolant loss, it has the distinct oil smell out the exhaust.. I am pulling the motor this weekend.... Thinking the rings did not seat properly..

I have changed out the Turbo ,and no change,so its either the heads or rings.....

matt texass

Reaction score
i have heard somewhere of others with BBR heads having this problem dont remeber where maby it was on that .......other site

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
i have heard somewhere of others with BBR heads having this problem dont remeber where maby it was on that .......other site

i seem to remember that too but cant place the person at the moment

matt texass

Reaction score
all i know is that ive heard horror stories about bbr and will stay clear of them

s8v4o

forum member
Reaction score
Is it white in color or a very light blue? Why not perform a compression test?

bry9

forum member
Reaction score
Is it white in color or a very light blue? Why not perform a compression test?

Motors out. Heads are ok.. Its the rings.... I know of 3 other cars having the same problem right now.... wonder if a bad batch of rings got out??

MikeVistaBlue06

Inventor: Asshole Points
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
What kind of oil are you using? Break it in on dino oil--do not use synthetic for break-in.

Those rings may need to scuff in better to seal, especially if they are moly coated rings.

Hope this helps.

Mike

bry9

forum member
Reaction score
Update..

Pulled the motor apart. The ring depth was wrong... received new set of rings,and they have a .044 difference.. I bought the pistons,and rings from somebody as a set.? I guess I should of checked them closer.....
The car made 650RWHP with the wrong rings..
Will have it running again this weekend.....

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back