New PB

OhhFiveGt

forum member
Reaction score
Went to opening day at ATCO raceway last week had a new PB of 12.12 @ 116.84mph with a 1.85 60'

I was very happy with this but now my quest for 11s is in full. I was on a 275/40/17 mickey thompson I think this is what is stopping me right now. I'm looking to get my 60' down below a 1.5 and this should bring me into the mid 11s. I have Motoblue LCA cobra jet rear springs lakewood 50/50 shocks what can I do to lower my 60'? I'm looking into getting some 15s with mickey thompson et street pros on them which should make a difference but will that be enough to get me where I want to be.

I have plans to go on e85 soon but I would really like to break 11s on pump gas.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Congrats.

That mph is there for 11s as is the tire

What pressure in tire? How hard did u launch?

Damn, I didn't realize they opened already. Makes sense that they are.

Crowded?

dysan

Dis-Member
Reaction score
There were a lot of street cars there but only a handful of big tire cars running. I was there testing out the new engine and getting my tune dialed in with Lito remotely.

I was quite happy...my car did exactly what I was hoping for...at the same low boost I ran last year my car's first run went a 10.98 (6-8 psi of boost)...swapped in the new bosch injectors and went one pulley down (8-10.5psi of boost) and went a 10.64. Track conditions were garbage but that was to be expected on an opening day.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Hey phucker u were supposed to let me know.

Glad it was a successful day

OhhFiveGt

forum member
Reaction score
Congrats.

That mph is there for 11s as is the tire

What pressure in tire? How hard did u launch?

Damn, I didn't realize they opened already. Makes sense that they are.

Crowded?

I was leaving at about 3700 with the tires down to 10psi what is what seemed to work best anything higher kept breaking them loose

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dysan

Dis-Member
Reaction score
I was leaving at about 3700 with the tires down to 10psi what is what seemed to work best anything higher kept breaking them loose

I remember your car there and said to myself that it has very little sidewall on those back tires so I'm sure that is hurting you. Also, 10psi is ridiculously low on a radial and I'm pretty sure at that pressure you were spinning them on the rims. For a stick car you really need a bias ply tire or a slick, more sidewall and to get a good 60' on an n/a car you need to launch that bugger at 5500+ rpms.

The lowest I have ever gone on my radials was 14.5 and that was too low. Now that I'm using the Mickey thompson 275 pro radials I set them 16-17 psi but I'm an auto leaving on a trans brake, much less shock than a stick and clutch car.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I agree with James, too little tire pressure for a radial, I used MT ET SR IIs in a 265/40/18 and pulled 1.6x 60's

17 psi, 460 whp, 12 psi, dropping the clutch at 4700-5000 rpm

describe your burnout, gear, MPH seen, duration

dysan

Dis-Member
Reaction score
I think this was you...

DSC_0641_zpse712f8f2.jpg

OhhFiveGt

forum member
Reaction score
I agree with James, too little tire pressure for a radial, I used MT ET SR IIs in a 265/40/18 and pulled 1.6x 60's

17 psi, 460 whp, 12 psi, dropping the clutch at 4700-5000 rpm

describe your burnout, gear, MPH seen, duration

I started with 16psi and went down from there that was the best 60' I saw. I get the tires pretty hot burn out about 4k rpm for a pretty good amount of time til I feel them bite.

I think I need to get my front end up a little to help my 60' it sits very low. I think getting it a little more level and installing the line lock will be a big help.

dysan

Dis-Member
Reaction score
My front end is quite low as well, especially now with the iron block but I have no issue hooking...the big thing is you need struts up front that have a very low rebound which allows the front end to lift easily. I still have my stock struts but they are pretty much shot having over 135k miles on them so they lift very easy.

You need to get back to atco when the prep will be better...That Sunday was junk but I expected as much. Are you planning on running in either the import vs domestic on the 16th or the following Sunday the 23rd in the Modern Muscle race??? If the races happen I will be there and I can try to watch your car and see what it's doing.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I started with 16psi and went down from there that was the best 60' I saw. I get the tires pretty hot burn out about 4k rpm for a pretty good amount of time til I feel them bite.

I think I need to get my front end up a little to help my 60' it sits very low. I think getting it a little more level and installing the line lock will be a big help.

can't tell anything from your burnout description.

What gear?
What MPH? MPH much more important than RPM

a line lock is a big help in doing a burn out for sure.

still have your front sway bar in?

OhhFiveGt

forum member
Reaction score
No my sway bar has been gone for a long time. I do my burnout in first gear and never really paid much attention to mph.

Dysan I probably won't be down there again for a few weeks it sucks because I have to always borrow a trailer from someone because the car is off the road due to me not having a license.

dysan

Dis-Member
Reaction score
First gear is not nearly good enough for a burnout....second gear is a must! I do mine in second gear around 6000rpms until I see smoke and then roll out of the burnout.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
/\ treed - I took the time to to the calculations... xD

No my sway bar has been gone for a long time. I do my burnout in first gear and never really paid much attention to mph.

well there's a big issue then right there!

1st gear and 4000 rpm is only 22-23 MPH, that's not nearly enough!

Second gear and 50-55 MPH for 3-4 seconds, that's how you'll get good heat in the tire and not get them greasy.

I'd start with that change before you start changing parts/tires :thumb:

OhhFiveGt

forum member
Reaction score
I'm defiantly going to start doing that with the line lock it will be much easier but the tires are going to be changed anyway I want to get off the 17s

Falkinman

forum member
Reaction score
Yup the 60' sucks. Like others said, second gear burnout, get the MPH up and launch at 5500 or higher. If it doesn't hook then figure out why (tires?) and fix it. Should be pulling the front wheels with that car. And the MPH is good for 11's for sure.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back