Next gen Mach 1 coming?

Mustang259

forum member
Reaction score
Just read an article from Leftlanenews.com that reveals Ford has applied for a trademark patent on the Mach 1 nameplate, here is part of article:
The trademark application covers a number of goods and services category, but the important takeaway is “land motor vehicles”, suggesting Ford has bigger plans for the name than just selling Mach 1 T-shirts.

Ford's next-generation Mustang will make its word debut in December as a 2015 model year vehicle, but the Mach 1 won't likely show up until the 2017 model year. It remains unknown where Ford will place the Mach 1 within the Mustang lineup, but it will certainly sit atop the GT.

It's also possible that Ford could install the Mach 1 as the range-topping Mustang model. Ford will reportedly kill off the Shelby GT500, which could clear room for the Mach 1 as the new Mustang flagship.

We should learn more about the Mustang Mach 1 over the next few months.

Read more: http://www.leftlanenews.com/trademarks-reveals-fords-mach-1-plans.html#ixzz2ifANRwSr
Read more at http://www.leftlanenews.com/trademarks-reveals-fords-mach-1-plans.html#3VhPQpRyPsfKkbFl.99

dre256

forum member
Reaction score
I heard that before too. What I heard before and I find realistic is first year just a V6 and GT will be offered. Then can see a Mach 1 being the new BOSS trim and a GT350 being a coyote 5.0 being bored out to maybe displace 331 or 351 cubic inches.

DRock

Reaction score
If that is the case. Around 2017 I should be ready for a new project. I need a house first :/

MGT2009

forum member
Reaction score
I never understood why ford did the 03/04 mach 1 name along side a GT. The 69-73(?) Mach 1 was actually a GT replacement. It was literally just a GT with a different name.

ford20

forum member
Reaction score
I heard that before too. What I heard before and I find realistic is first year just a V6 and GT will be offered. Then can see a Mach 1 being the new BOSS trim and a GT350 being a coyote 5.0 being bored out to maybe displace 331 or 351 cubic inches.

You can't really bore the 5.0 into anything larger than a 5.1 from my understanding.

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
I don't see the Mach 1 becoming something that will sit on top of all the other renditions. It could be a next generation 5.0 N/A Roadrunner engine that would sit right below the next gen SVT/Cobra lineup.

Mustang259

forum member
Reaction score
One of my favorite all time mustangs was the 69 Mach 1, if they can re create the same look in a modern update I will be all in. But it better have a v8!

07TGGT

@user
Reaction score
One of my favorite all time mustangs was the 69 Mach 1, if they can re create the same look in a modern update I will be all in. But it better have a v8!

:thud: Ford is finished with the Retro look as of 2014 MY...

Haven't you read they're moving away from it?

Mustang259

forum member
Reaction score
I understand what you are saying, but I did say IN a MODERN update, meaning it won't be the same body as even the current s197, I thought everyone knew that as well.

I hope they will at least revive the badging and increase the HP above the 2016 or 17 GT.

Shotokan1509

forum member
Reaction score
I never understood why ford did the 03/04 mach 1 name along side a GT. The 69-73(?) Mach 1 was actually a GT replacement. It was literally just a GT with a different name.

I think 69 still had a GT version, it was just blasted out of the water by the Mach in terms of sales

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Reaction score
I never understood why ford did the 03/04 mach 1 name along side a GT.

I wrote emails back and forth with the Mustang Chief Engineer back in 2000-1 begging for the SVT Cobra's 4V V8 to be put into a dragstrip friendly GT with a solid axle. I'm sure I was just one of many people begging for that combo! He assured me that it was in the works, so color me delighted when the '03 Mach 1 was announced in 2002. I bought a brand new '03 Mach 1 to replace my '00 GT Coupe and the 4V V8 in the Mach 1 was much faster than the 2V V8 in the GT - nearly a second quicker in the 1/4 mile (13.0's vs 13.9's, in my case).

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I think 69 still had a GT version, it was just blasted out of the water by the Mach in terms of sales

Yes '69 GT's exist. They're kinda rare. The Mach One package was a performance package with several options. The GT package was not what we recognize a GT to be today. It was more of a V8 luxury sport touring kind of thing. By '69 the focus was muscle. Hence the popularity of the Mach One.

After all GT does stand for Gran Turismo.

Shotokan1509

forum member
Reaction score
Yes '69 GT's exist. They're kinda rare. The Mach One package was a performance package with several options. The GT package was not what we recognize a GT to be today. It was more of a V8 luxury sport touring kind of thing. By '69 the focus was muscle. Hence the popularity of the Mach One.

After all GT does stand for Gran Turismo.

There was actually a 69 vert with GT badges on it in my work parking lot few days ago, I need to find out who's it was.. I know verts & GT's were minority builds, so the combo makes it rare at only 1,127 per:

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vintage-mustang-forum/618165-69-gt-conv.html

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back