No way! 5.0 over GT500?????!!!!!

b00stedgt

Reaction score
I would have to agree that compression was the major role in the results.

Germeezy3

forum member
Reaction score
We have not seen the pinnacle yet, the engine still awaits direct injection...which will allow more boost and high compression.

Wish I Had a Nice Car

forum member
Reaction score
i would still take a de-striped gt500 with the svtp package. Just for the fact that the 5.4 is a much better tested motor. Now my mind might be changed in 2 years when there are 5.0's running around with 600+hp over 30,000 miles.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Great post right here, and with the prices of early GT500's dropping and a lot of them having low miles the choice isn't so clear.

If you want an investment Mustang a GT500 will be the car to buy.

KJGT

forum member
Reaction score
i would still take a de-striped gt500 with the svtp package. Just for the fact that the 5.4 is a much better tested motor. Now my mind might be changed in 2 years when there are 5.0's running around with 600+hp over 30,000 miles.

I agree, the GT500 is a great car, you can pick up a nice 2010 with 10k miles for around 40 grand. Next year non svtpp will be the same. It really depends what you want, shelby buyers are buying the name and a factory hot rod. Myself I like low profile and do my own mods and play arpund with it.

If you figure I paid 27k for a base GT, 6k for the blower ( installed myself), 380 for the sct, 700 for rear wheels/drag radials and my powertrain warranty is gone a used 2010 GT500 doesnt look so bad. Myself all I care about is straight line stuff so Im happy with the supercharged GT.

Germeezy3

forum member
Reaction score
We know that the 5.4 S/C will do 700 rwhp and has done it many times before on stock internals. We have no idea what the 5.0's reliability and longevity at those power levels will be.

Rob72

No Japanese Mustang Here
Reaction score
The GT500 has forged rods and low compression. How long will the 5.0 last with a substantial amount of boost and a lot of competitive driving. I'm wondering since they put the forged crank in the 5.0 why didn't they put a good set of rods also?

pdmusgt

forum member
Reaction score
The GT500 has forged rods and low compression. How long will the 5.0 last with a substantial amount of boost and a lot of competitive driving. I'm wondering since they put the forged crank in the 5.0 why didn't they put a good set of rods also?

Did samething with early Cobras and 03-04 Mach1 manual trans car. Rods not the problem with current factroy power level and rpm

pdmusgt

forum member
Reaction score
The 5.4 has, I think, 8.3:1 and the Coyote I know for sure is 11:1. But you figure the 2+ additional points compression, higher RPM, 5.4L redline is like 6300 and the 5.0L is 7,000, plus the Ti-VCT, better flowing heads and some of the best factory exhaust manifolds ever put on a car and it's not very surprising that the 5.0L can out HP the 5.4L under boost.

The 5.0L has too much technology for a 400cc difference to account for under boost. People always say there's no replacement for displacement, but when you're talking about such a small difference in cubic inches, I'm not surprised at all the 5.0L would be on top at the same boost levels.

I think the Coyote motor will stand up very well to 9psi. Just reading the articles out there about what the Ford engineer's had to say about how they designed the block and heads will tell you that. Also, FRPP wouldn't sell a 675hp, 9psi kit if it were going to frag a motor in less than 30,000-40,000 miles.

I agree with you....Atleast Ford engineers had insite with this engine they knew in some point it will get supercharger and direct injection. The major other thing that allows this engine to get away with things that the engines before it is the piston coolers. I do know they wish they did do this on the first 4.6 mark/cobra blocks. I do think it would have gave them major advantage

06Mach1

forum member
Reaction score
The April 2011 issue of Hot Rod magazine did a comparison test of what breaks on the 3v, 5.4, and 5.0 motors in the 05-11 mustangs. They found the coyote's rear wheel limits to be between the 3v and the 5.4. So I'd be surprised if you could get sustainable results from the 5.0 over the GT500.

FlyByNight

Banned
Reaction score
Before too long the emissions certification for the 5.4 4V GT500 engine will expire and I doubt Ford will spend the money to re-certify the engine for one limited production car.
Not sure I'm on the same page here, but when I bought my 03 Cobra there was a serious gas guzzler charge included with the sticker price.

Grabber

Coyote Snob Member
Reaction score
Done a lot of googling lol, and I come to find the pro-dyno 201- GT500 with a frpp whipple made 662 on 17 psi. A vmp tuned GT with a whipple made 639 rwhp on 17.75 psi.

Very similar numbers, however, looks like the GT500 still makes more power. Especially when you start cranking up the boost. I've seen over 800+rwhp on a 2011 GT500 with over 23 psi on the stock motor. Don't see a 5.0 doing that.

Good find op.

2006torquefreak

forum member
Reaction score

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Not sure I'm on the same page here, but when I bought my 03 Cobra there was a serious gas guzzler charge included with the sticker price.

One word...

C.A.F.E.

Corporate average fuel economy. For the foreseeable future, much like the early 80's, we will have CAFE requirements driving a lot of production decisions.

FlyByNight

Banned
Reaction score
One word...

C.A.F.E.

Corporate average fuel economy. For the foreseeable future, much like the early 80's, we will have CAFE requirements driving a lot of production decisions.
It's amazing after all these years of watching cars become more advanced gas just keeps climbing, even as the baby boomers are getting old, dying off, and driving less. Maybe a reverse strategy is the answer, Big Blocks.:thumb2:

Germeezy3

forum member
Reaction score
this is somewhat misleading.

the rods are NOT forged steel. they are a powdered metal FORGING...the root word "forge" is what throws people off.

Bingo, the rods are the only weak link in the 5.4 S/C...but they will make 800 rwhp on stock internals. The Ford GT 5.4 will make 1000 rwhp with the stock fuel system and the only changes being swapping the blower for an intake and bolting on twin turbos. Get rid of the PMR's and pretty much the sky is the limit with the 5.4 you can make as much power as you want within the streetable limits.

zxmarekxz

Reaction score
Bingo, the rods are the only weak link in the 5.4 S/C...but they will make 800 rwhp on stock internals. The Ford GT 5.4 will make 1000 rwhp with the stock fuel system and the only changes being swapping the blower for an intake and bolting on twin turbos. Get rid of the PMR's and pretty much the sky is the limit with the 5.4 you can make as much power as you want within the streetable limits.

badass

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back