Non-Intercooled Vortech?

eicht

forum member
Reaction score
SO, I have an 01 Cobra that I plan to add a supercharger to at some point. Car is never tracked in any way. Mainly for cruising. Is heat soak a problem with the Vortechs in spirited driving on the streets?

01yellerCobra

forum member
Reaction score
It really depends on the boost level. If you keep it under 8psi you might be ok. Anything more and you'd want to look into an intercooler.

That being said I always recommend running an intercooler. It's just safer. Plus there are so many ways to go about it nowadays it doesn't have to be super expensive.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

eicht

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for your continued help. I am planning on about 8 psi. No more then 10. But you are right, might as well just do it right the first time.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Heat soak is always present with a blower, the degree to which it effects the car’s power has a lot of variables. A intercooler is a worthy bang for your buck install when adding a SC. I debated it when I put a V2 on my 06GT, the added power for the added cost of the IC made it very worthwhile

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
I have a Vortech S-trim, no intercooler on my 91. with GT40 crate 302 (340 hp rated) I get 8 psi boost. Runs for 40 minute sessions at HPDEs without issues.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
What are your intake temps like?
I don't know for sure, but it has never exceeded the IAT limit I set in the tune. I have the IAT vs Timing function cutting timing 6* if IAT gets to 175*~ish. I forget the exact value I set, it's been a while since I put that tune together. 12.1 AFR, 18* WOT running pump 93.

46addict

Reaction score
I don't know for sure, but it has never exceeded the IAT limit I set in the tune. I have the IAT vs Timing function cutting timing 6* if IAT gets to 175*~ish. I forget the exact value I set, it's been a while since I put that tune together. 12.1 AFR, 18* WOT running pump 93.
Does it slowly ramp up to 6 degrees of timing retard or does it get all 6 degrees at 175F? Just curious.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Does it slowly ramp up to 6 degrees of timing retard or does it get all 6 degrees at 175F? Just curious.

Its 0* or -6* no ramp up. So it should be a noticable loss of power if it hit the temp limit. Also, I'm running the UPR intake. (MAF inside fender) so the incoming air is as cool as possible.

skaarlaj

Probie Former Pink Bus Rider
Reaction score
Its 0* or -6* no ramp up. So it should be a noticable loss of power if it hit the temp limit. Also, I'm running the UPR intake. (MAF inside fender) so the incoming air is as cool as possible.
I would doubt that it ever gets in that temp range at 8psi with a centri. But just a fyi, I used to just pull 5* of timing when using a 125 shot on my old 03 Lightning, and just to experiment, I made a pass without nitrous and the same -5* timing for nitrous anticipation, and it ran the same time / speed at the same track that it did before I added the nitrous and subtracted the timing. You might see something on a dyno, but my track times didn't change, and applications can surely vary. Long story told short, You might not notice if it ever pulled that timing you're mentioning.

01yellerCobra

forum member
Reaction score
175 degrees is pretty high in my opinion. I'd think it would start detonating before that. But I'm no expert.

I do know that even with my F1A spinning pretty decent IAT's were never more than a few degrees above ambient. That was with the Procharger 3 core intercooler.

skaarlaj

Probie Former Pink Bus Rider
Reaction score
175 degrees is pretty high in my opinion. I'd think it would start detonating before that. But I'm no expert.

I do know that even with my F1A spinning pretty decent IAT's were never more than a few degrees above ambient. That was with the Procharger 3 core intercooler.

I agree, I've seen high 150's spinning the hell of a small M112 Eaton on both a Cobra and Lightning that I'd nearly promise produces more heat than a centrifugal at less than 10psi

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
I'm going from memory on the 175* Could be a little less. The setup has been reliable for track dute

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back