North Carolina Inspection

demarcom

forum member
Reaction score
Folks,

I have asked before, but it goes back a long way... i am now in Union County in North Carolina and will need to register my 2005 3v in NC... However, coming from NJ with a collector car registration, I have not had emissions tests. I have NO cats and rear O2 sensors are NOT turned on.

What is my best option here? I know there are ways to turn on the sensors and put extenders on to pass, but what about visuals? Any "special" places to go that will help me out? PM me with any ideas.

Thanks

95ragtop

forum member
Reaction score
I just went through the same thing last year. I tried to do it, and a little hole in the wall place failed me for no cats. Bit the bullet and bought a catted H-pipe that gets put on once a year.

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
How the hect did you get collector plates for an 05 in NJ? Anyway, visual you will have to have some type of cats on there, maybe hollowed out ones that slip on over the pipe? As for tune, Lito can tune it so you pass with the rear o2 sensors turned on even if you do not have cats, but he can't help you with the visual.

Badd GT

forum member
Reaction score
it's an OBD II test and at least in wake county you pass with 1 "not ready". Find some mustang guys/club in your area they could point you to a place to go.

ford20

forum member
Reaction score
How the hect did you get collector plates for an 05 in NJ? Anyway, visual you will have to have some type of cats on there, maybe hollowed out ones that slip on over the pipe? As for tune, Lito can tune it so you pass with the rear o2 sensors turned on even if you do not have cats, but he can't help you with the visual.

What he said! I wanna try that for New York and see if it works hahaha.

demarcom

forum member
Reaction score
I have a Saleen... so I sent in my letter stating production numbers, paperwork and pictures, and done!! It's a Collector Car registration, not Classic Car... It'sWonderful thing if you get the person at DMV that knows what the hell you are talking about.

All you need to do every 2 years is bring it to the NJ inspection station office and they just verify your odometer works... you drive a mile and come back and you're done... they give you a sticker.

This is not a chance thing. my Brother in law has a Saleen also and he had no issues. I think if you have a standard GT, it will be tough, but the Laguna should certainly be OK. Not sure what they have in NY state.. Sorry to leave it behind, but I may stretch it and get one more year out of it. I still have NJ plates and license and just got my registration renewal. Yes $50 bucks in NJ!! vs. 1% of value in NC....

Don't get me started on "how much cheaper it is in NC vs. NJ". Property taxes is about it, but they get you coming and going in NC. Trash removal? you pay separate. Car Insurance? Cheaper if drive a shitbox I am sure. Want a cheap house? Sure live 20 minutes from anything.

Anyway... I will stop the rant. Thanks for all the responses guys. I will milk this year and probably do the cat thing. easier if I ever sell.

So another question!! I know cats are a no-no on Supercharged motors, but which are the best of the worst? I know SLP makes them for 200 per pair, and Kooks has the Green cats for an arm and a leg...

Rasmus

forum member
Reaction score
Don't get me started on "how much cheaper it is in NC vs. NJ". Property taxes is about it, but they get you coming and going in NC. Trash removal? you pay separate. Car Insurance? Cheaper if drive a shitbox I am sure. Want a cheap house? Sure live 20 minutes from anything.

Anyway... I will stop the rant. Thanks for all the responses guys. I will milk this year and probably do the cat thing. easier if I ever sell.

But it is cheaper? I do prefer privacy, and have gotten too old for metropolitan life again.

For car insurance, I can recommend Hagerty. I think three of the cars at home are on Hagerty right now. The process is a little more involved than your average insurance company's, and they do require you to have an alternate, daily-driven car in addition to the one they cover, but that's about it.

So another question!! I know cats are a no-no on Supercharged motors, but which are the best of the worst? I know SLP makes them for 200 per pair, and Kooks has the Green cats for an arm and a leg...

Kooks have unraveled on more than one occasion. I don't know if they changed their manufacturing process, but I know of at least three GT500s that ended up with engine rebuilds because of clogged Kooks cats.

demarcom

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks, I will say the collector car insurance on the Mustang is cheaper than NJ... about 1/2, but regular car insurance is not a bargain for 2-2014 luxury cars... On the Mustang I have Heacock and they grandfathered me in with some company called Infinity (I think) and I have 41K of full replacement for 350 a year. Heacock normally doesn't write in NC.

I have heard the same issues with the cats.

In NC I am still trying to get used to not driving 1/4 mile to 2 miles max to get to everything I need....

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have bassani high flow carted x pipe on my Saleen SC'd 05 for about 8 years now.

Boone

Automotive Enthusiast
Reaction score
Go see Dan Desio at Pro Dyno and see what he has to say. He's close by in Fort Mill, SC. I'm sure he knows the ins and outs of the inspection requirements in the area.

drive_55_not

forum member
Reaction score
Go see Dan Desio at Pro Dyno and see what he has to say. He's close by in Fort Mill, SC. I'm sure he knows the ins and outs of the inspection requirements in the area.

Dan tuned my car and disabled the I/M monitors to get it to pass, I tried the non-foulers and other tricks to get my monitors to go ready,, never would so disabled they are.

Disabled monitors work for the most part, they plug in and the OBD2 reports not supported and you PASS.. however there are newer scanners hitting the market where that won't work, those kick out a COMM FAIL and while not a failed inspection,, you don't pass either..

As far as insurance goes,, Sorry but Charlotte has some of the HIGHEST insurance rates ..

Charlotte has some seriously bad /aggressive drivers, Depending on which part of town your in, A RED light doesn't really mean STOP, just like a STOP sign, just Slow To an Observant Pace ..

We had a guy transfer in from Phoenix which I figured would had higher car insurance but he said it was cheaper out there.

I hope you don't find out the hard way either but Charlotte also has one of the HIGHEST rates of uninsured/under-insured drivers out there.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back