notchy shifting with occasional lockout

nasty281

MODIFIED STANG
Reaction score
My problem is that everyone knows 2011-12 mt82 are complete crap but 2013 had some revisions. Apparently no tsb exist for the 2013 mt82. Things that worked for 2011-12 do not work for 13. So that leaves me at what now situation.

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
Either settle for what it is, take it to a shop and have it rebuilt/upgraded on your own dime, or replace it with a different model on your own dime.

If a dealer and Ford won't address it... those are the only real options I see. You may not even have any legal recourse. The dealer and/or Ford can say, "That's just how they all work. There is nothing wrong with it."

Me personally, before I spent any big money, I would try to realign the shift linkage and shift handle range limits since its an adjustable remote shifter. I would also try some high-end gearbox fluids in different fixed and variable viscosity to see if I can get it right. I would even replace the clutch line with a braided stainless steel line and get some high performance clutch fluid. When the car sits for a while or when its cold, the fluid and clutch master/slave assembly my not be pushing the pressure plate far enough out. I would even try a different clutch kit.

You can do all of that for a reasonable price. Aftermarket clutch kit is about $500. Aftermarket throwout bearing is about $180. Braided SS line is about $60. All new fluids will be about $150-$200 for premo stuff. Have the pilot bearing replaced while its out. They are only $8. Unless you are skilled in this stuff, labor is the only crap shoot. Parts would be under $1,000 though.

Last edited:

back n a stang

Sick wid it!!
Reaction score
My 12 has not been a problem under no situation other than just the prefer fluid swap, so I don't have to wait for it to warm up some. It has never done what a lot of 11's and a lot of 12's have with the other issues you may be thinking. Either way I agree with Marcspaz with addressing it if you are having that much trouble. GL and keep us posted man. I would love to have the swap no matter if it was perfect. Just a better tranny but a lot of money too. One day I will swap it out when I have no car payments...lol

black2008gt

GT500 NOOB
Reaction score
I went to ford three times with mt82 problems and they wiped their hands of it. Its a crap shoot to get the dealer to fix it. I would try every dealer to get it fixed and if that does not work the gt500s are a lot of fun.

superslow86

forum member
Reaction score
Mine does the same thing yours does when its cold, only its 1-2 and 2-3 all below 3k rpms. I am in CA so cold here is like 30ish degrees, im sure its colder in NC. It is just notchy as hell and seems syncro related to me so I plan on going back to the dealer soon. Ill let you know if they find a fix but I am just hoping they throw a new one in it and it yields better results.

FIVE-OH

forum member
Reaction score
My problem is that everyone knows 2011-12 mt82 are complete crap but 2013 had some revisions. Apparently no tsb exist for the 2013 mt82. Things that worked for 2011-12 do not work for 13. So that leaves me at what now situation.
FYI, the '13-'14 "revisions" didn't do crap, I know three people with issues with those...

randeez stable

forum member
Reaction score
OP When I had the MT 82 in my 2011 GT ( now a Tremec T56)I did the Barton shifter and bracket change, as well as the higher volume clutch line, and switch to Redline MTL fluid. But I still had occasional gear lockout.
I think the problem lies with the fact the shifter is mounted remotely and under engine torque the linkage twists and can thus cause a lockout problem.
I think if your problem continues you might be wise to consider a pair of stiffer than stock urethane motor mounts. These would not allow the engine/ transmission to twist as much thus decreasing the chance of lockout due to shifter linkage binding/ malfunction.
But again this when you are under a high load condition. If your problems happen at any load level and only when cold or are getting worse. I suspect a transmission problem, period.

Last edited:

nasty281

MODIFIED STANG
Reaction score
OP When I had the MT 82 in my 2011 GT ( now a Tremec T56)I did the Barton shifter and bracket change, as well as the higher volume clutch line, and switch to Redline MTL fluid. But I still had occasional gear lockout.
I think the problem lies with the fact the shifter is mounted remotely and under engine torque the linkage twists and can thus cause a lockout problem.
I think if your problem continues you might be wise to consider a pair of stiffer than stock urethane motor mounts. These would not allow the engine/ transmission to twist as much thus decreasing the chance of lockout due to shifter linkage binding/ malfunction.
But again this when you are under a high load condition. If your problems happen at any load level and only when cold or are getting worse. I suspect a transmission problem, period.

Im not experiencing lockout under a high load actually its worse when shift low like 2000-2500 so synchros are my only guess

nasty281

MODIFIED STANG
Reaction score
Im pretty pissed so just got a call from the dealership and they say theyve driven other mustangs on the lot and its a normal characteristic of it. I call bs though the tech originally told me it didnt seem normal. So they say they have a car I can compare it to. Im gonna pick it out though. They are just so bullshitting its ridiculous.....I guess they dont realize when do this shit theyre burning their bridges. Wont get my repeat business ever

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
Dude... I am very sorry ans sympathetic, but in post 22 I told you that was what the dealer was gonna say. Not sure what you expected.

That's their get out of jail free card when shit is fucked up and they can't or don't want to fix it. Dealers have been playing that game as long as I been alive... likely much longer.

Last edited:

nasty281

MODIFIED STANG
Reaction score
I never bought a car brand new before but I guess I had some sense of false hope is all

Xorak

forum member
Reaction score
Im pretty pissed so just got a call from the dealership and they say theyve driven other mustangs on the lot and its a normal characteristic of it. I call bs though the tech originally told me it didnt seem normal. So they say they have a car I can compare it to. Im gonna pick it out though. They are just so bullshitting its ridiculous.....I guess they dont realize when do this shit theyre burning their bridges. Wont get my repeat business ever

which dealership?

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
Truth is its a crap shoot, yet the odds statistically tilt in favor of the buyer that you will get a good product and the manufacturer honoring warranties when there is a blatant problem.

The flip-side is, sometimes they make bad choices and an entire product line gets fucked up. In those cases, unless it's a safety issue and the government forces them to fix it, they say the issue we see as a flaw is actually as designed and they are all the same.

Every automotive manufacturer I am aware of has been guilty of this. It's just the nature of the game.

Xorak

forum member
Reaction score
Autonation ford lincoln wolfchase in Bartlett tn. Formerly dobbs ford wolfchase

my luck with them was hit or miss until i started dealing exclusively with their service manager, Ken Watson. my 2012 was a manual (no issues)... i'm happy to offer my 2nd opinion comparison services if you want them. it's the least i can do for damn near the twin of my 14 lol.

nasty281

MODIFIED STANG
Reaction score
my luck with them was hit or miss until i started dealing exclusively with their service manager, Ken Watson. my 2012 was a manual (no issues)... i'm happy to offer my 2nd opinion comparison services if you want them. it's the least i can do for damn near the twin of my 14 lol.

Who would you talk too?

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
Agreed. It sounds like an internal problem and possible the syncros. Good luck with it.

Most important and overlooked issue internally with a transmssion. Once you get lockout or you dead head a gear by missing a gear, you mushroom the tips of the gears or sliders. Does not take much for this to happen. Once it starts, it will not fix itself.

phorty

forum member
Reaction score
Is it the mild clunk I hear in the video when you shift from 1st to 2nd that has you worried?

My 06 has been doing that since I bought the thing brand new! Seems normal to me.

Back