Offset grinding a crank. Questions for gearheads.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
I'm wondering what does it cost to offset grind a crank? Specifically taking a stock 4.6 crank and offset grinding the rod pins to sbc size of 2.000". Since they start at 2.087" we should be able to get at least a 3.717" stroke but maybe more. I'm having a hard time picturing the base circle in my head and how it would shift with the offset grind.

The whole reason I'm asking this is because some people just have to have a stroker and prices for stroker cranks have gone through the roof. The only exception to that is the Eagle crank for Honda journals that goes for $300 or so. The only problem with it is that you need modular 5.850" rods for Honda journals and as far as I know Eagle is the only place to get those. For some reason they charge about $650 for a set so it puts the inexpensive Eagle cast steel stroker crank out of the picture imo.

Just wondering.

travelers

Reaction score
We do something like that on our race car but it's ordered with that journal and rod ends. And yes it is expensive.

There is a few crank repair grinders out in CA that can probable do what you want but that would be come custom work and have to call to find out pricing.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
Scat was the only 3.75 stroke forged crank I could find that was avalible with out paying $1800.00 or so. Cost about $800.

Don't have any experience with offset grinding though.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
We do something like that on our race car but it's ordered with that journal and rod ends. And yes it is expensive.

There is a few crank repair grinders out in CA that can probable do what you want but that would be come custom work and have to call to find out pricing.

This isn't really for me. I'm just having thoughts and "thinking out loud". If my math was correct then a 3.717" stroke would work with 5.850" rods and stock compression height pistons.

I suppose a better question would be "who makes Honda journal 5.850" modular rods"? Time to start another thread, lol.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back