anyone running Oliver stroker rods ?

sportinawoody

!@#$%^&*(
Reaction score
started some of the blue printing mic'ing the crank while waiting on my block to get finished with the machining,,, found that my rod journals on my eagle 3.75 crank are 1.889 which is normal sizing but my Oliver 5.850 rods advertise for a 2.000" journal. I don't have the rods with me, my machinist does so my question is, so what stroker crank uses a 2" rod journal or did I miss something ?

Last edited:

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
started some of the blue printing mic'ing the crank while waiting on my block to get finished with the machining,,, found that my rod journals on my eagle 3.75 crank are 1.889 which is normal sizing but my Oliver 5.850 rods advertise for a 2.000" journal. I don't have the rods with me, my machinist does so my question is, so what stroker crank uses a 2" rod journal or did I miss something ?

Every other stroker crank uses a 2" small block chevy size. Eagle is the only one that uses a Honda journal of 1.889".

You could try a small block chevy bearing for a Honda journal. I don't know how well it will work considering the extra .1" of material in the bearing but if it works on sbc strokers I don't see why it wouldn't work in this case.

Fuel and I were having a discussion over the exact same thing just a few days ago.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
I forgot to add that 4.6 strokers use small block chevy bearings. That's what's in my motor. They are the early model sbc size. Look up sbc bearings with a Honda journal and make sure they are for the early sbc.

If that won't work then you need to start looking for a different set of rods or a Kellogg stroker crank.

toorbeenee

turbine lunatic
Reaction score
I forgot to add that 4.6 strokers use small block chevy bearings. That's what's in my motor. They are the early model sbc size. Look up sbc bearings with a Honda journal and make sure they are for the early sbc.

If that won't work then you need to start looking for a different set of rods or a Kellogg stroker crank.

+1 there

i used clevite part no CB745HN they are sbc from the 60s

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
Every other stroker crank uses a 2" small block chevy size. Eagle is the only one that uses a Honda journal of 1.889".

You could try a small block chevy bearing for a Honda journal. I don't know how well it will work considering the extra .1" of material in the bearing but if it works on sbc strokers I don't see why it wouldn't work in this case.

Fuel and I were having a discussion over the exact same thing just a few days ago.

Are these what you are talking about?
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cpi-1b1663hc-std/overview/

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score

sportinawoody

!@#$%^&*(
Reaction score
those look great as long as the bearing fits a 2.125 rod bore. cant find that spec anywhere. i will talk to my machinist as he's very versed in sbc stuff as well as mod ford blocks. he just hasnt done this combo before. thanks for the help guys.

sportinawoody

!@#$%^&*(
Reaction score
well i checked, there is no manufactured 1.889" rod bearing with an outside diameter of 2.125" so i guess the brand new eagle crank i shit my money on is going in the classifieds when i can get home and snap a picture. Anyone need a brand new eagle 3.75 crank ? Looks like i need a kellogg or lunati now.

fordracer666

forum member
Reaction score
well i checked, there is no manufactured 1.889" rod bearing with an outside diameter of 2.125" so i guess the brand new eagle crank i shit my money on is going in the classifieds when i can get home and snap a picture. Anyone need a brand new eagle 3.75 crank ? Looks like i need a kellogg or lunati now.

Have you contacted eagle to see what they suggest . I'm sure there are bearings
Available they designed that setup.

Livernois Motorsports

Livernois Motorsports
Official Vendor
Reaction score
The Eagle parts are meant to run together. Their crank and rod. The Kellog stuff is going up up and up $ wise. So the Eagle is being looked at as an alternative. We offer the Eagle in our street series assembly's.(650flywheelHP) The Oliver parts are great/premium products.

crownaviation

http://www.tudyno.com/
Reaction score
My machine shop is now closed for the weekend so thought I would throw this out there as well..

I am currently running a stock stroke Kellogg crank but need a set of Oliver 4340 I beams for the new build.. Am I going to run into the same issue? Those rods are not cheap lol..

Running Manleys right now but they won't hold the shit I am about to throw at them so looking at rods (again).

I almost ordered the rods tonight and glad I ran across this first.

http://www.modmaxracing.com/Oliver_Billet_4_6_Rods_p/olif5933mdul8.htm

Last edited:

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
My machine shop is now closed for the weekend so thought I would throw this out there as well..

I am currently running a stock stroke Kellogg crank but need a set of Oliver 4340 I beams for the new build.. Am I going to run into the same issue? Those rods are not cheap lol..

Running Manleys right now but they won't hold the shit I am about to throw at them so looking at rods (again).

I almost ordered the rods tonight and glad I ran across this first.

http://www.modmaxracing.com/Oliver_Billet_4_6_Rods_p/olif5933mdul8.htm

This issue is only with strokers afaik. Stock stroke should be fine.

Back