Oil Level

EBABlacknChrome

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
So after putting my car back together it sat for a year with some electrical things that needed to be finished, coolants filled and oil changed. My question that I really haven't found a satisfying answer in searching the site. Yes I Know (6) is what it says in the owners manual but is this dependent on the filter size? I have owed the car ten years, this is the first time I have personal changed the oil. Its never been stored at home, so when I would take it for a cruise or pull it out for summer I had the oil changed at a local express oil place. They are really good (I know most of there staff and they all get a kick out of seeing the car) however I noticed that the filter they have been using is a small Valvoline that our Napa said was for a 3.7 I believe. The reason I looked into it that much was the Napa gold 4.6 filter seemed to big so I questioned it. I have always provided my own oil to them because I have a prefer brand I use. I have always given them 6 quarts and no one has ever said I was short. So there is the back story, here is the problem I have with it. I put all 6 in and it only showed have way up on the hash marks even after driving/idling in the garage (no leaks anywhere). I put the almost half in and it shows close to full now. didn't want to over fill. I read that the dip sticks are not that accurate but is possible that after sitting for 14 months that things just drained down? Could the oil get stuck somewhere? I figured if it had to most it would be building pressure and I would see bubbles on the dip stick. Dealership did that to the wife's Jeep once and I always check stuff when it comes back from any shop. I have found screw drives and wrench's before!! It didn't sound bad when I started it. It's not smoking. I only added a Saleen blower.

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Paragraph breaks are your friend when you have more than one issue.

Sometimes there are multiple filters that will fit on a single application, I always suggest using the right one specced by the manufacturer just to ensure that there are no leaks but the difference in performance is probably negligible. The difference in capacity between filters is fairly insignificant and is unlikely to cause oil starvation. If you go back there, I would tell them that you would like the correct filter for the application.

Also, you just need it to be in the range of the dipstick, no need to fill it until it is full on the dipstick, unless you like the extra drag and reduced fuel economy of the crank sloshing through the excess oil in the pan. Put the recommended amount in, no more. After adding the correct amount, idle the car for a minute or 2, then pull the dipstick and put a new mark on it as that will be where it is actually at capacity.

travelers

Reaction score
If I remember right the 4.6 also has a windage try so the crank isn't whipping up oil out of the oil pan.

EBABlacknChrome

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Lol thanks for the tip!!! I know I should have was in a hurry. I have the Motorcarft filter now for my next oil change. I will look into scribing it the next time.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
You should figure out how much oil it takes EXACTLY to fill YOUR engine.
I always:

Drain oil, change filter. Replace oil drain and put in 5 qts. (most of my cars will take a little over 5 /12 qts, the 5.0 is close to 8qts)
Start engine, let it idle, check leaks.
Shut off, and let it sit for ~10 minutes. Check level and fill to almost the "Full" mark.
And check oil regularly until you know how much oil an engine burns.

Every engine will use SOME oil. This way I have advanced warning of engine issues if oil consumption rises.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
When I check my oil I always let the car sit overnight and just pull the stick. Pulling, wiping, replacing, pulling - never get a good reading.

Car always used more than a quart between changes, found it all in #8 when I tore the engine down. PCV I guess.

EBABlacknChrome

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You should figure out how much oil it takes EXACTLY to fill YOUR engine.
Well the manual says 6 qts! It's a stock motor other then a blower, exhaust, gears. Shouldn't they all take the same about with a stock filter? The small filter surely can't be that much less. I always fill the oil filter before installing. Not sure what you meant by that?
Pulling, wiping, replacing, pulling - never get a good reading.
This is exactly what I do and have always done for everything I own.

The car only has 31k miles on it and really has never used oil to speak of but I guess if I drove it maybe it would. It had 21k miles on it when I bought it in 07. Two short road trips put 3500 miles on it.

I did just put an oil separator on it when installing the blower. I did see oil in the intake while removing it not a lot but enough.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
The manual may say 6 qts, but I have NEVER seen an engine that took exactly what the manual says. :) It may only be off by a 1/4 qt, but still, its off. Thats why I do it the way I described. (and I don't have a manual for the Coyote to reference! lol)

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Jeez people this isn't rocket surgery. Put in the amount of oil and type of filter specified by the manual. Start the engine, verify pressure, turn it off and let it sit for a couple minutes, then check the level and add if necessary.

If you can't figure out your damn oil level you shouldn't be wrenching on cars.

EBABlacknChrome

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Ok to make this clear for next moron wanting to over think it, read all the pages. The dip stick has a variable range! As long as the oil level is between the hash marks it's acceptable. I was so irritated and determined to prove a point that I stopped at home to look at the dip stick and manual only to notice a small detail. The dip stick doesn't say FULL at the top of the hash marks! The book also says to add enough oil to reach the min on the dip stick and never exceed the max mark.

In all the threads I have read about oil and amounts not one person mentioned this. They all had input about on how much you should put in or go ahead an put 6-1/2 in. look it up, there is more than one hard headed fucker like me!
Thank you all for helping me removing my head from my ASS. :asshat:

EBABlacknChrome

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
It's not just about the oil level, its knowing the exact amount of oil! I don't like variables. Let me rephrase that I HATE variables. I should have been an engineer but would have needed meds with a padded room by now LOL. I tell my guys all the time DETAILS, DETAILS it's the only way I can stay sane in the construction would. There is a rhyme and reason for everything!

46addict

Reaction score
The dip stick doesn't say FULL at the top of the hash marks! The book also says to add enough oil to reach the min on the dip stick and never exceed the max mark.

In all the threads I have read about oil and amounts not one person mentioned this. They all had input about on how much you should put in or go ahead an put 6-1/2 in. look it up, there is more than one hard headed fucker like me!
Thank you all for helping me removing my head from my ASS. :asshat:

Also, you just need it to be in the range of the dipstick, no need to fill it until it is full on the dipstick, unless you like the extra drag and reduced fuel economy of the crank sloshing through the excess oil in the pan. Put the recommended amount in, no more. After adding the correct amount, idle the car for a minute or 2, then pull the dipstick and put a new mark on it as that will be where it is actually at capacity.

That was covered in the first response.

EBABlacknChrome

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
me too except it doesn't work on this car so I just pull the stick, check the level, and save my used underwear for cleaning windows
Fuck I can't believe I let that slip over my head. [emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
The dipstick sucks on the 3v's, not sure how it is on the Coyotes but as you pull it smears on the tube and can never get an accurate reading.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
The dipstick sucks on the 3v's, not sure how it is on the Coyotes but as you pull it smears on the tube and can never get an accurate reading.

That is from oil that got slung up into the dipstick tube. Need to wait a little after engine shutoff. ;)

travelers

Reaction score
Jeez people this isn't rocket surgery. Put in the amount of oil and type of filter specified by the manual. Start the engine, verify pressure, turn it off and let it sit for a couple minutes, then check the level and add if necessary.

My thought exactly. In the old day it was always X+Filter =What it takes.

Iceman62

Bullitt 6005
Reaction score
I like unicorns & kittens, but I never let them change my oil...;) :D

OP; Good on you for posting the questions and it's definitely a "personal" vendetta IRT oil type/level/preferences. I've changed everything from combines, 18-wheelers and minibikes...they're all different and take time/experience to get things dialed-in. Good luck and enjoy wrench'n!

EBABlacknChrome

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I like unicorns & kittens, but I never let them change my oil...;) :D

OP; Good on you for posting the questions and it's definitely a "personal" vendetta IRT oil type/level/preferences. I've changed everything from combines, 18-wheelers and minibikes...they're all different and take time/experience to get things dialed-in. Good luck and enjoy wrench'n!
Lol. They are all different. Two commercial vans, my truck, Jeep, the mustang not mention all the small engine stuff around here. Just had some curiosity that needed itching. I'm a big boy with broad shoulders and I like sarcasm! [emoji16]

Plus after reading the oil pump problems, timing mess I was a bit nervous. I thought my motor was storing oil some where and starving something else. It Was just a thought as to why I am having low idle "turbulence" that you feel in the gas pedal. Lol. You can't leave me in the garage to long before the wheels start turning in hyperdrive.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Back