Oil return question for turbo install.

Reaction score
I'm about to install an On3 turbo system in my 06 GT. I have a question regarding the oil return line. I'm curious as to why no one plumbs the drain line from the turbo back into the return line from the remote oil filter instead of punching a hole in the oil pan. I was thinking that the return line, besides being super easy to plumb, would also create a vacuum effect to help the turbo charger oil drain better. Has anyone done this or is there a reason I shouldn't do this? I'm more than fine with going the hole in the pan route but had this idea rolling around in my head for the last few days.

strangebhavior

forum member
Reaction score
Because return will have pressure. Oil pan has least pressure if gravity drained. Unless have oil scavenger pump to remove oil

s8v4o

forum member
Reaction score
Also the fact that the oil is whipped like cream is another reason to drain the pan. I wouldn't want the oil pump trying to run oil that's the consistency of foam through it. That's the reason oil return lines are supposed to be so large, it's because of the consistency of the oil.

Reaction score
Thank you for the replies guys. I'll punch the pan and go that route. I never thought about the oil becoming 'foamy'. When in doubt, ask. :)

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
well the pump pulls oil directly from the pan, then pumps it through the filter/cooler and then the motor. so the aeroated oil isnt through the pump, but it would effect how the rest of the motor is oiled

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
A turbo oil return line is just gravity fed, no pressure. You need the largest, straightest line with an constant drop to the oil pan. You also don't want any more sharp turns then absolutely necessary, for best results.

Back