Order of power mods for 320 RWHP!!

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
With the mods he listed in the first post adding cams would but him areound 320rwhp.
I'm at 315rwhp with cai/brenspeed tune, bbktb, UDP, kooks longtubes. I've added a coast aluminum driveshaft but havent been to the dyno since. Hopefuly that should put me around 320rwhp.
I have comp stage 2 cams, springs/retainers, and phaser limiters awaiting install hopefully that will get me near 350rwhp.

rojizostang

i love my cams
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
you'll spend just as much doing 320rwhp NA than you would buying FI and getting 450+rwhp

depends on how you do you're shopping for parts, and if you turn your own wrenches. besides, it's only the same price until the first rebuild after kicking out a rod after running one of those "safe" tunes

don't get me wrong...i would love to be fi....but not unles i have a built motor to go with it

pieperz06

i need to get blown
Reaction score
i don't think the ds is going to make any difference on the dyno.

but what does it matter if you feel it dyno numbers mean nothing
just cuz you have 320 hp doesn't mean he will put down any numbers at the track cuz he has no suspension work to be able to launch the car

rojizostang

i love my cams
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
but what does it matter if you feel it dyno numbers mean nothing
just cuz you have 320 hp doesn't mean he will put down any numbers at the track cuz he has no suspension work to be able to launch the car

the only point i was making is that adding a aluminum ds and expecting to see gains on the dyno....that probably won't show up. i'm not denying the improvements of the aluminum ds at the strip.

pieperz06

i need to get blown
Reaction score
the only point i was making is that adding a aluminum ds and expecting to see gains on the dyno....that probably won't show up. i'm not denying the improvements of the aluminum ds at the strip.

ok got'cha lol i personal don't see the point in know how much hp you have i have never had my car dyno'ed and im lovin it

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
you'll spend just as much doing 320rwhp NA than you would buying FI and getting 450+rwhp

Hook me up as to where you can get a blower setup for cheaper than:
$700 for CAI and tune
$56 CMD plugs (steeda, my car is an '09)
$1250 LT headers, catted x-pipe
$225 UD pulleys
=$2231

Even with cams for $750, phaser limiters $200, and $300 for valvesprings, I still won't hit 2/3 of the cost of the blower kits yet.
=$3461

Last edited:

Chris06GT

Dragging LS Ass..
Reaction score
Red made a good point......but I could do it cheaper than that.....

I think $3461 is pushing the cost of some "basic" supercharger kits though.....

RED09GT

S197 Team Member
Reaction score

I was going worst case/premium parts. You could maybe find a tuner kit for close to the $3400 but that would leave you needing a tuner, injectors, fuel system upgrades, a base tune, and dyno time away from 450rwhp.
If you can find a used blower kit, different story as you could probably find a used CAI, tuner, etc... for much cheaper as well.

Steedman07

Classified's Moderator:)
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You can find a full Vortech kit for around $3,100..fuel pump, 39 lb. injectors, s/c, and hand held programmer..

pieperz06

i need to get blown
Reaction score

true but i know at this point for me i have done about as much major power as i can do and still be N/A and it is not enough for me. i had a CAI tune and o/r h on after 1 month of having the car then i did the pulleys and still felt like i need more power so now im getting a DS and working toward getting a KB 2.6L in the next 3 months and then im making my self stop...:thud:but i dont know if i will be able to i think im going to have to build me a track car befor i will be happy.

sorry that was longwinded but basicly figure out if u think it is going to be enough because if you dont think it is you are better off saveing up for the S/c or turbo because u end up selling allot of your boltons

PS i only have put 800 bucks worth of parts in to my car total not including DS

Steedman07

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
true but i know at this point for me i have done about as much major power as i can do and still be N/A and it is not enough for me. i had a CAI tune and o/r h on after 1 month of having the car then i did the pulleys and still felt like i need more power so now im getting a DS and working toward getting a KB 2.6L in the next 3 months and then im making my self stop...:thud:but i dont know if i will be able to i think im going to have to build me a track car befor i will be happy.

sorry that was longwinded but basicly figure out if u think it is going to be enough because if you dont think it is you are better off saveing up for the S/c or turbo because u end up selling allot of your boltons

PS i only have put 800 bucks worth of parts in to my car total not including DS

there is alot more you can do to make power and still be N/A..Use the search function on the forum..

pieperz06

i need to get blown
Reaction score
there is alot more you can do to make power and still be N/A..Use the search function on the forum..

lol i do use the search function im just stating my opinion

but it would be way easier IMO to go for a S/C and have a lot of room to grow in the future because heads and cams are not worth the money for me and it seems like FI is a better price to HP ratio

RED09GT

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You can find a full Vortech kit for around $3,100..fuel pump, 39 lb. injectors, s/c, and hand held programmer..

Hook me up, cheapest I've found is $3068 for a tuner kit and just over $4000 for a complete kit with no charge cooling.
I imagine that you would need more upgrades to reach the 450rwhp mark with any of the base kits as well...

I would not feel secure about driving a 450rwhp stock-shortblock car and no intercooler on a hot summer day.

Steedman07

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Hook me up, cheapest I've found is $3068 for a tuner kit and just over $4000 for a complete kit with no charge cooling.
I imagine that you would need more upgrades to reach the 450rwhp mark with any of the base kits as well...

I would not feel secure about driving a 450rwhp stock-shortblock car and no intercooler on a hot summer day.

Check first with the vendors on this forum..Then check Sutton HP..Thats where I bought mine..$3300 shipped 1 1/2 years ago..And You will have nothing to worry about driving a non-cooled car at 450 whp on a stock block/internals on a hot day..Get yourself a meth kit and a tuner who knows what he is doing...I drive my car everyday without a hint of a problem, for 2 years now with no charge cooler..

jroc07gt

its orange not yellow!!
Reaction score
I haven't even installed udp or driveshaft and I already feel like the car is fast enough for me. Installing f/i just opens up a whole new level of problems, problems that cost money and downtime. I'm sure lots of people never had any problems with their setup, but it's not for me.

Chris06GT

Dragging LS Ass..
Reaction score
pieperz, I get what you are saying.....

I have (had) $1000 worth of parts on my car.....like I stated before....it made 317rwhp/340rwtq......That is on a dynojet with a standard correction factor....It all boils down to what the seat of the pants dyno tells you, and the track times.....

For the O.P.:

Do some reading on the forum about parts and bolt-on's on n/a cars....there are lots of threads that I believe can help you out to reach your goal....you CAN make 320rwhp n/a VERY EASILY!!!

But, you can also take a guy making 300rwhp who can drive, and he will outrun a guy with 330rwhp who can't drive.....

470 GT/CS

forum member
Reaction score
Hook me up as to where you can get a blower setup for cheaper than:
$700 for CAI and tune
$56 CMD plugs (steeda, my car is an '09)
$1250 LT headers, catted x-pipe
$225 UD pulleys
=$2231

Even with cams for $750, phaser limiters $200, and $300 for valvesprings, I still won't hit 2/3 of the cost of the blower kits yet.
=$3461

You can get some of that stuff for considerably cheaper btw.

You can get Steeda UDP's for $210, CAI/Tune for $600, and cams for $650, so that's $215 saved. You also can get valve springs for $290 and phaser limiters for $130 if you buy Livernois ones, so that's another $80 saved, totaling up at $295 bucks.

Idk if you can get LT headers with a catted midpipe for $1250, you used to be able to get Kooks with a catted H for $1,222 shipped but they guy stopped doing his 6% discount, but you can get them for $1300 from marylandspeed.com.

So you can save 245 bucks, so the total is now $3216. :D

Steedman07

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You can get some of that stuff for considerably cheaper btw.

You can get Steeda UDP's for $210, CAI/Tune for $600, and cams for $650, so that's $215 saved. You also can get valve springs for $290 and phaser limiters for $130 if you buy Livernois ones, so that's another $80 saved, totaling up at $295 bucks.

Idk if you can get LT headers with a catted midpipe for $1250, you used to be able to get Kooks with a catted H for $1,222 shipped but they guy stopped doing his 6% discount, but you can get them for $1300 from marylandspeed.com.

So you can save 245 bucks, so the total is now $3216. :D

Still more $$ and less power than a Vortech kit..

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back