P0420 Reoccurring, Super Annoying

Jersey07GT

Reaction score
Hey guys, my name is Christopher I have followed the forums for a quite a while but haven't posted much, I hate to post only when I have a problem haha. Well after a recent oil change (maybe overfilled or wrong filter IDK??!) I got a CEL, I hooked up my OBD II scanner I received a code P0420 Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1) I don't want to be redundant but I love my care and maintain it meticulous. I am trying to figure out how to go about this... Should I change the O2 sensor, use the spark anti-fouler method I have read about on various forums? Maybe seaform in the gas take will do the trick? I would love to able to fix this problem without buying a replacement catalytic converter. I really can't afford to replace the cats could this be due to the O2 sensor failing or another reason ? The car is basically stock besides the Flowmaster Axleback Outlaw mufflers, I am not sure if the cat is stock, but I have never received this code before in the 6000 miles I owned the car any help would be appreciated!

Last edited:

Marble

forum member
Reaction score
In my experience...When a problem occurs after I've worked on my car it's because I've screwed something up during the repair or maintenance.

I would back track your oil change and make sure you inadvertently didn't screw something up.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
clear the code. IF it clears,see if it comes back asap....or a week later..or maybe never.

make sure ur REAR O2 sensor cable is plugged in on that side. Bank 1 should be pass side sensor. U may have bumped something while doing the oil change.

Back