P2197

Nicole smrekar

Reaction score
i got this code 1 day after bringing the car back from exhaust work and a new clutch at brenspeed. However I suspect the tune as the car has no driver side 02 sensor upstream.

Any ideas?

MasterofDisaster

Reaction score
I had the code for the upstream driver side sensor and a check engine light after installing headers on my 08 GT. Simply pushing the connector together fixed the problem. That connector is accessible under the hood back by the firewall.
Once I verified the connection was made, I unplugged the battery, pumped the brakes a couple times, turned on the headlights, and waited for an hour. When I reconnected the battery, the check engine light was off, and the car ran fine.

07 Boss

Reaction score
I had the code for the upstream driver side sensor and a check engine light after installing headers on my 08 GT. Simply pushing the connector together fixed the problem. That connector is accessible under the hood back by the firewall.
Once I verified the connection was made, I unplugged the battery, pumped the brakes a couple times, turned on the headlights, and waited for an hour. When I reconnected the battery, the check engine light was off, and the car ran fine.

Why? Whats with the brakes and headlights? You know your headlights don't work if the battery is "unplugged."

01yellerCobra

forum member
Reaction score
Why? Whats with the brakes and headlights? You know your headlights don't work if the battery is "unplugged."
Its supposed to make sure everything is discharged and totally clear the memory. I've heard a capacitor or two can keep things alive.

07 Boss

Reaction score
Its supposed to make sure everything is discharged and totally clear the memory. I've heard a capacitor or two can keep things alive.

Interesting. Never have done it that way but I haven't had any issues clearing the memory just by unhooking the battery.

GlassTop09

Reaction score
FYI...…………...

According to the Ford Workshop Manual the alternative method to reset the KAM outside of using a scan tool (like the Ford IDS & VCM which is the preferred Ford approved method) that can do this is to disconnect the negative batt cable only & leave it disconnected for a minimum of 5 mins to sufficiently drain the PCM capacitors that maintain power to the KAM EPROM memory.

I've found that using a jumper wire attached from the disconnected, isolated negative batt cable to the still attached positive batt cable (got this method from watching FordTechMakaloco videos) really speeds the alternative process up. I tested this method on my car & found that by using the jumper wire the PCM KAM capacitors will fully drain within as little as 30 secs as opposed to the 5 min minimum time given in the FWM.

The idea is to give the trapped negative neutrons within the PCM KAM capacitors a more direct path back to the positive side of the batt w\o going thru the batt grid & having to find an alternative path thru the entire electrical system back to the batt positive side......which is what MasterofDisaster is doing by using parts of the electrical system that can create a physical contact between the positive & negative side (a physical switch, like the brake light switch & headlight switch) while the negative cable is disconnected from the battery to ensure that the capacitors are fully drained. This is why the min wait time given in the FWM is 5 mins for this process to occur w\o doing anything to help the PCM capacitors fully drain the KAM so the stored learned data is fully erased.

A simple jumper wire connected across the batt cables while the negative cable is disconnected from the batt serves the same purpose but is a much shorter & more direct path from the PCM so takes far less time to achieve the same result since the PCM is always mounted on the same side that the battery is & has direct access to positive & negative circuitry to the batt cables.

Thought I'd post this here for informational purposes.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back