Paxton/Vortech 3.125" Pulley and Belt

MassMustang

forum member
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a 6-rib belt to be used in a Vortech/Paxton setup if stepping down from a 3.4" pulley (stock size) to a 3.125" pulley? Seems the stock belt is 120" (Vortech part #: 2A046-120 which is Gates part #: k061203).

I should add, I'm planning on using the stock crank pulley/damper for now. Only adding the Novi 2200 and looking to reduce the 3.4" pulley down to 3.125".

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

MassMustang

forum member
Reaction score
I'll throw a little geometry at this. Tell me if this makes sense.

A few facts and assumptions:
The circumference of a circle is calculated using: C=2πR
The Paxton/Vortech pulleys are measured in diameters
The radius is calculated using: R=D/2 or R=C/2π
The 3.48" pulley has a circumference of: 10.93"
The 3.125" pulley has a circumference of: 9.82"
I'll assume the inner end of the belt touches no more than 50% of the pulley.
The circumference differences between the two pulleys is 1.11"
If the belt only touches 50% of the circumference, that should only equal 0.56" in difference (1.11"/2).

So is the 0.56" difference small enough for the tension arm to address up to... say 6500 or 7000 RPMs without slippage?

cyclerick

forum member
Reaction score
I went with the green 6 rib belt from Beefcake for my Paxton 2200sl which I believe is an inch shorter. Everyone on this forum told me I'd be getting too much belt slippage with the 3.15 pulley with the 6 rib. I'm currently at 750rwhp with the TQ booster set at 14 psi and not getting any slippage at all and no belt material build up. Mind you I only rev my coyote to 7,000. I can't recall the exact hole I put the Paxton middle pulley bolt in but can tell you I have to move the idler pulley all the way over to put the belt on.

MassMustang

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info! Terry from Beefcake thinks I might be able to simply move the idler pulley to take up the slack. Worst case, I'll pickup a 119".

I went with the green 6 rib belt from Beefcake for my Paxton 2200sl which I believe is an inch shorter. Everyone on this forum told me I'd be getting too much belt slippage with the 3.15 pulley with the 6 rib. I'm currently at 750rwhp with the TQ booster set at 14 psi and not getting any slippage at all and no belt material build up. Mind you I only rev my coyote to 7,000. I can't recall the exact hole I put the Paxton middle pulley bolt in but can tell you I have to move the idler pulley all the way over to put the belt on.

cyclerick

forum member
Reaction score
Probably will work. If you get any slippage then you can always go with the gates green belt.

Unreal

forum member
Reaction score
Black belts>Green in my experience. Belts are cheap off amazon. Order 2-3 different ones close to the size you need, then return the ones that you don't use. That is the easiest way IMO.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Terry is correct. You can usually move the idler pulleys around to take up the slack.

MassMustang

forum member
Reaction score
Resurrecting an older thread. What's the smallest pulley anyone has used on a 6-rib setup? I'm considering the 2.87" or 2.62" pulley for some extra boost (extra peak power).

That shouldn't exceed the capabilities of my belt or even the clutch, right? it's all boost above 3500 RPMs. As long as I'm not dumping the clutch at 5K+ of course. Right?

MassMustang

forum member
Reaction score
FYI - My current setup is producing about 540rwhp/530rwtq at about 12psi (intercooled and blow-thru). Wondering if I can safely crank the boost to 14/16 psi with a smaller 6-rib pulley. I'm running the Exedy Mach 400 clutch too.

46addict

Reaction score
That clutch is designed for 510 flywheel torque but I'm sure there is some wiggle room there as long as you aren't launching on slicks. I can't comment on the belt slip. I have an 8 rib drive.

What kind of IAT are you seeing now?

MassMustang

forum member
Reaction score
That clutch is designed for 510 flywheel torque but I'm sure there is some wiggle room there as long as you aren't launching on slicks. I can't comment on the belt slip. I have an 8 rib drive.

What kind of IAT are you seeing now?

I haven't measured IATs nor visited the track yet. Just thinking ahead as to how I can push 600+ rwhp. I guess the question will be the max RPMs on the 2200SL with a pulley smaller than 3.125".

NoviBlownGT

Boosted Crew
Reaction score
I ran the 2200SL over max recommended rpms for a while. I spoke with a couple dealers on it and they said its not such a huge deal for short times such as drag strip. But extended time over max rpms will cause an issue.

As far as the belt slip issue. I would recommend upgrading your stock crank pulley to an overdrive unit form Innovators West or ATI. That will give you the bump in boost and not cause belt slip issues. If you continue to want to drop blower pulley sizes youll want to invest in an 8 rib upgrade.

MassMustang

forum member
Reaction score
I ran the 2200SL over max recommended rpms for a while. I spoke with a couple dealers on it and they said its not such a huge deal for short times such as drag strip. But extended time over max rpms will cause an issue.

As far as the belt slip issue. I would recommend upgrading your stock crank pulley to an overdrive unit form Innovators West or ATI. That will give you the bump in boost and not cause belt slip issues. If you continue to want to drop blower pulley sizes youll want to invest in an 8 rib upgrade.

So is that the next step for me, an 8-rib upgrade using an overdrive crank pulley and drop the blower pulley to something smaller?

NoviBlownGT

Boosted Crew
Reaction score
So is that the next step for me, an 8-rib upgrade using an overdrive crank pulley and drop the blower pulley to something smaller?

Yes. If you plan to stay with the blower and keep bumping the power. I made 798rwhp with a 2200.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MassMustang

forum member
Reaction score
Yes. If you plan to stay with the blower and keep bumping the power. I made 798rwhp with a 2200

That's even more than what I'm hoping to do, but yes! I was hoping to pulley down a bit and get 600+rwhp but I was told I was pushing the limits on my 2200SL with the stock crank and 3.125" pulley at 6K rpm shift points.

NoviBlownGT

Boosted Crew
Reaction score
That's even more than what I'm hoping to do, but yes! I was hoping to pulley down a bit and get 600+rwhp but I was told I was pushing the limits on my 2200SL with the stock crank and 3.125" pulley at 6K rpm shift points.

I ran a 10% overdrive and a 3.0 pulley to 7200rpm redline. Shifted at track around 7k

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheKurgan

forum member
Reaction score
Resurrecting an older thread. What's the smallest pulley anyone has used on a 6-rib setup? I'm considering the 2.87" or 2.62" pulley for some extra boost (extra peak power).

That shouldn't exceed the capabilities of my belt or even the clutch, right? it's all boost above 3500 RPMs. As long as I'm not dumping the clutch at 5K+ of course. Right?

I run the smallest pulley a 2.62, and on a 6 rib setup with stock Paxton belt for about 5 years now. No issues.

TheKurgan

forum member
Reaction score
What rpm are you shifting at?

Did you start with a larger pulley? Any before and after results for comparison? I'm interested in knowing what RPM you shift at too.

Limiter is set at 6500. I won't go any higher than that with stock valve train. I started with a 3.125 pulley and was at ~550WHP for about a year or so. Same tuner VMP, same mobile dyno.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back