Give my build list a once over

95ragtop

forum member
Reaction score
I am going to order some parts tonight and would like to know if you guys see if I am missing anything. I have a short block sitting on an engine stand that I would like to build over the winter and swap it next summer. I already have heads with upgraded valve springs. I plan on reusing my stock oil pan and I have an ACT twin disk to engage the tr6060. I am currently running 10 psi with a 3.4" pulley on a Novi 2200 and I have a smaller pulley and 10% overdrive crank pulley to make sure more air gets in.

Goals are around mid 500s on 93 and up to 700 on e85.

I plan on ordering:
stock mls head gasket/bolt kit (I know BruceH was fine with these)
full timing chain kit (is there any concern with the plastic tensioners)
ID1050 injectors (already have gt500 pumps and BAP)
Miscellaneous gaskets for the oil pan, crank pulley bolt

Do I need any sort of degree wheel to time the cams?

07 Boss

Reaction score
I changed mine recently just because I was doing phasers and bot a whole timing kit, but mine looked fine. Some folks have used the 2v tensioners which are metal. You can get billet ones from MMR but they are like a bad word around here.

You shouldn't need a degree wheel unless you are running with the vct locked out. Then you might want to advance the timing a bit.

Couple of after thoughts: An electric water pump will help cool your boosted moter better than the stocker and will also free up some parasitic loss. Also, some pretty fuel rails would be a nice addition, just because.

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
I feel like this has been discussed before. On a Paxton 2200SL in particular. If we're talking 3v, you're going to need a bit more than what you're talking about here to break 700whp on a 281. E85 is good stuff, but not 150whp good. 550whp+ is easily do-able with what's on my screen. After that, it gets a bit more involved. Keep in mind your efficiency range on the 2200, the higher you spin it, like any blower, the less efficiently it delivers air. On E85 you're pretty much covered against the higher boost range and higher IAT's, always a good move. Do the math on peak power rpm and pulley math to find out what rpm you're intending to spin the blower. The self-lubricating blowers have no way to exchange heat from the fluid. At 55,000rpm, fluid becomes hot fast. It won't take a lot of abuse before you find your head unit's bearings shit the bed. You'll need everything the blower can give you to get to 700. Cam selection will make a big difference.

hockeygod

forum member
Reaction score
I feel like this has been discussed before. On a Paxton 2200SL in particular. If we're talking 3v, you're going to need a bit more than what you're talking about here to break 700whp on a 281. E85 is good stuff, but not 150whp good. 550whp+ is easily do-able with what's on my screen. After that, it gets a bit more involved. Keep in mind your efficiency range on the 2200, the higher you spin it, like any blower, the less efficiently it delivers air. On E85 you're pretty much covered against the higher boost range and higher IAT's, always a good move. Do the math on peak power rpm and pulley math to find out what rpm you're intending to spin the blower. The self-lubricating blowers have no way to exchange heat from the fluid. At 55,000rpm, fluid becomes hot fast. It won't take a lot of abuse before you find your head unit's bearings shit the bed. You'll need everything the blower can give you to get to 700. Cam selection will make a big difference.
Some things to keep in mind. You can convert a 2200sl to an oil fed unit and upgrade it's internals if you want to push it further. Fuel system wise you will be fine. I am running a 3v stroked to a 326 with ported and polished heads, beehive valve springs and comp stage 1 blower cams. with a paxton 2200sl using a 3.12 pulley with a 10% od pulley @ 711 rwhp on 93 octane.

This place does supercharger upgrades as well as selling the parts. www.superchargerrebuild.com/vortech/

95ragtop

forum member
Reaction score
Appreciate it guys. The short block is using a stock crank, Boss rods, and wiseco pistons with an 11.0 compression ratio (yay with e85, boo for 93). Heads are FRPP/Livernois stage 3, Comp 127350 cams, and C&L intake manifold. I have every intention of spinning it to 7k.

The novi I have is a oil fed head unit, so I am covered there, and my smaller pulley is a 3.15. At 7k with a 10% crank pulley and 3.15 pulley I'll be at 58,000 rpm. 2,000 under the recommend limit.

hockeygod

forum member
Reaction score
Appreciate it guys. The short block is using a stock crank, Boss rods, and wiseco pistons with an 11.0 compression ratio (yay with e85, boo for 93). Heads are FRPP/Livernois stage 3, Comp 127350 cams, and C&L intake manifold. I have every intention of spinning it to 7k.

The novi I have is a oil fed head unit, so I am covered there, and my smaller pulley is a 3.15. At 7k with a 10% crank pulley and 3.15 pulley I'll be at 58,000 rpm. 2,000 under the recommend limit.
This is kind of important but I forgot to mention I am run methanol injection with my 93 octane.

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
A quality dampener like Innovators West is a must to control harmonics. The OEM plastic chain tensioners are the best ones, the 2v tensioners ratchet lock, this is not a good feature with high RPM and/or a 2 step.

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
Agreed no issues there. I wish e85 was available within a reasonable distance of me.

Feels like they're killing off E85. There's only 1 or 2 stations left in Vegas (that I know of) that carry it. The ones that did, have swapped for 100 octane. Can kiss my ass for $7/gal. I suppose one day we'll catch up with the world on fuel prices, but not today. Been running e30 blend in my Focus ST, adds a nice kick when tuned for it. The station I get E85 from states 53-83% ethanol on the pump. It sucks because the sticker makes me paranoid, yet I DGAF because it really doesn't matter. If it's 53% at worst I'm down to e20 (effectively 93 octane), and the tune isn't that skinny. At best, I'm at e30, which is effectively 95 octane. Anything inbetween is close enough. Makes me wish I hadn't paid for the E30 tune though, since it's likely not going to be carried much longer.

07 Boss

Reaction score
Feels like they're killing off E85. There's only 1 or 2 stations left in Vegas (that I know of) that carry it. The ones that did, have swapped for 100 octane. Can kiss my ass for $7/gal. I suppose one day we'll catch up with the world on fuel prices, but not today. Been running e30 blend in my Focus ST, adds a nice kick when tuned for it. The station I get E85 from states 53-83% ethanol on the pump. It sucks because the sticker makes me paranoid, yet I DGAF because it really doesn't matter. If it's 53% at worst I'm down to e20 (effectively 93 octane), and the tune isn't that skinny. At best, I'm at e30, which is effectively 95 octane. Anything inbetween is close enough. Makes me wish I hadn't paid for the E30 tune though, since it's likely not going to be carried much longer.

$7.99 we paid for 100 octane last week. We got it on the way to the lake but I think it's the same in town. You know of anywhere else besides Rebel that carry it?

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
Can't say, Rebel was all I knew that ever carried it. I think the new VP station may.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Fuel wise, I would do a fused 8awg power wire to replace the 12awg one in the gt500 harness running from the fuse panel to the relay. This will ensure the pumps are flowing properly with the bap.

From there next thing to look at is either a full line and filter uprade from hat to rails, or least a hardline to rail upgrade to get rid of the restrictive stock line rail adaptor.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back