PC7424XP and pad questions

Bill220

forum member
Reaction score
I recently purchased a PC7424XP, a variety of 5.5” LC pads and the proper backing plate for the pads, plus a bunch of other stuff, which I won't bore you with.

Can I use the 5.5” pads on areas like the bumpers, the areas around the quarter glass, rocker panels, etc. or do I have to purchase a smaller backing plate and pads for those areas? Or can I do those areas by hand (I do not want to do this)?

Also, how long do these pads last before they need to be replaced? And how do you know when it's time to toss them?

superslow86

forum member
Reaction score
You can use any size you want, just tape off any areas that you dont want polished (trim, glass, lights, whatever else). I use 5.5 pads all the time with no issues. Smaller pads might be more helpful for tighter spots but not a necessity, IMO.
I try to do one panel per pad (do the hood, then switch the pad. o the fender, the switch, etc) I also throw my used pads in a bucket with pad cleaner so i can re-use them if needed (just dry them before using) I have had pads last for a while and some last only a few uses, really depends on technique. For me, the faster i spin the pad the less life it will have. They get hot and start to ware but sometimes thats unavoidable when doing a correction.

From another member on technique (Seer):
Work in 2'x2' areas, going horizontally first, back and forth (kind've like an S pattern), then vertically, about 3 passes each way. Moving about 1" per second, until you are on your final 2-3 passes, then you can kick the speed up a little bit (your movement) to about 2-3" per second, while still maintaining enough pressure on the machine to right when you hear the motor bog ever so slightly (about 10lbs)

Watch this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Et6Egpw-f-s&feature=player_embedded

Other threads you should read:
http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93936

Last edited:

Bill220

forum member
Reaction score
Thank you sir!

I did read that thread and have watched a lot Mike's videos as well as reading up on detailing forums but I didn't find anything on pad life or what to do in those tight areas.

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
Thank you sir!

I did read that thread and have watched a lot Mike's videos as well as reading up on detailing forums but I didn't find anything on pad life or what to do in those tight areas.

Smaller pads are optimal, but tape and patience help in those tighter areas.

I do use a 3" pad and a special DA polisher designed for that small pad size though.

Your best bet as far as pads go is to join detailers club and either buy from the site or since you're in Pittsburgh Bill, visit autoality on babcock blvd. Pads with detailers club membership are ~$15 for 3.

Bill220

forum member
Reaction score
Smaller pads are optimal, but tape and patience help in those tighter areas.

I do use a 3" pad and a special DA polisher designed for that small pad size though.

Your best bet as far as pads go is to join detailers club and either buy from the site or since you're in Pittsburgh Bill, visit autoality on babcock blvd. Pads with detailers club membership are ~$15 for 3.

Thanks Jay, I hoped you would chime in. I'll give the tape method a try.

I joined on black friday! And the guy that owns the company (Eric?) is super nice to deal with.

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks Jay, I hoped you would chime in. I'll give the tape method a try.

I joined on black friday! And the guy that owns the company (Eric?) is super nice to deal with.

that he is, stand up guy!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back