PD supercharger on higher mileage 5.0

Christenn23

Reaction score
I have 2011 5.0 with 70,000 miles that I'm going to be putting an Edelbrock PD supercharger on. Any experiences with higher mileage Coyotes getting boost, things to lookout for? Pros/cons, if any.

MrAwesome987

forum member
Reaction score
I don't have a coyote, but I put a blower on my 4.6 with 140k miles on it. Made exactly what it should have on a dynojet and has ran great for the past 11k miles. So if the car has been taken care of for the past 70k miles, I wouldn't expect any problems. Also wouldn't call 70k "high mileage".

Mustang Mark

forum member
Reaction score
70k isn’t high mileage. I put a vortech on my 3V at 132k now at 137k I’ll be putting on a Department of Boost pd supercharger kit on. That being said, I would highly recommend looking into one of their kits rather than the Edelbrock.

Laga

Reaction score
70K is nothing unless it was beat like hell the whole time. Edelbrock kits are easy to install and perform well, but they run hot. After 2 summers I had to replace heat exchanger with larger VMP unit and more powerful intercooler water pump.

Christenn23

Reaction score
70k isn’t high mileage. I put a vortech on my 3V at 132k now at 137k I’ll be putting on a Department of Boost pd supercharger kit on. That being said, I would highly recommend looking into one of their kits rather than the Edelbrock.
I was actually leaning towards a DoB kit, but removing and replacing the front engine cover turned me away. So I just went with the Edelbrock, with the intent of just upgrading the heat exchanger.

70K is nothing unless it was beat like hell the whole time. Edelbrock kits are easy to install and perform well, but they run hot. After 2 summers I had to replace heat exchanger with larger VMP unit and more powerful intercooler water pump.
Interesting, thanks for the info. When you say "run hot" do you mean under wide open throttle or just cruising in general? I've never had a boosted car so I'm going in completely blind.

Last edited by a moderator:

Laga

Reaction score
Both actually. A PD unit is a big piece of metal sitting on top of the motor. Once everything heats up, it holds that heat. Just driving around in 90 degree heat, I would see intake air temps in the 130`s-140`s before boost. Edelbrock`s heat exchanger is too small. I only replaced the HE a couple of months ago, so I don't have hard numbers on how it will work in the heat. But in 60 degree temps driving on the highway, the IAT`s were 68-71. I have 2 Glowshift water temp sensors, One before and after intercooler. They only read temps over 68 degrees and I have yet to see them read anything above that yet.

DieHarder

Reaction score
By replacing the front engine cover are you talking about the bumper? Both kits (Edelbrock/DOB) require about the same modifications to the car though the Edelbrock appears easier. I too looked at the Edelbrock and agree it looks slick and they talk a good game. However, the advantages of the DOB setup become apparent in both price, longevity (uses GT500 OEM parts mostly) and cooler running if you choose a couple of options. Besides, I like using the GT500 setup. I ended up putting one on my 2006 GT with a 140,000 and have enjoyed it ever since. Additionally, get it tuned by Lito and you'll love the performance.

The latest version of the DOB is an excellent setup. If you're mechanically inclined it's both fun and somewhat challenging to install but looking back I enjoyed every minute of it. It runs perfect and I have the satisfaction of knowing I installed every bit of it by myself and know it inside and out. Now that I've done one I can also give you tips and you'll find plenty of pictures on the DOB site. Overall, I probably spent about $2,000 less compared to the Edelbrock's retail price but used about $1,000 of that to make other upgrades (AFR/Boost gauges, adjustable urethane motor mounts, etc) so if price isn't a decider really up to you which way you go. I can tell you I don't regret my decision at all and really enjoy the new power. And, from the outside you can't really tell she's supercharged...;D IMG-0341(1).jpg IMG-0347(1).jpg IMG-0330.jpg Here's a couple of pics.

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
I only replaced the HE a couple of months ago, so I don't have hard numbers on how it will work in the heat. But in 60 degree temps driving on the highway, the IAT`s were 68-71. I have 2 Glowshift water temp sensors, One before and after intercooler. They only read temps over 68 degrees and I have yet to see them read anything above that yet.
I pulled the bosch pump out of my system and replaced it with a GT500 pump. I also removed the fans, which should hurt at idle and help while the car is moving. The change was negligible, about 2-3 degree improvement at cruise speeds with worse idle temps. I expected the latter. Maybe my expectations are out of line with reality. This is a VMP kit car with their heat exchanger which I think is a re-branded AFCO triple pass.

At cruise after the car is fully warmed up and heat soaked, it's 45-50 over ambient in warm weather. About 115-120 in 70 degree weather. Only thing I have not done yet is replace the IAT sensor and try to pull vacuum out of the system with a machine. The fluid circulates fine, it's not air locked.

Christenn23

Reaction score
When you say "run hot" do you mean
By replacing the front engine cover are you talking about the bumper? Both kits (Edelbrock/DOB) require about the same modifications to the car though the Edelbrock appears easier. I too looked at the Edelbrock and agree it looks slick and they talk a good game. However, the advantages of the DOB setup become apparent in both price, longevity (uses GT500 OEM parts mostly) and cooler running if you choose a couple of options. Besides, I like using the GT500 setup. I ended up putting one on my 2006 GT with a 140,000 and have enjoyed it ever since. Additionally, get it tuned by Lito and you'll love the performance.

The latest version of the DOB is an excellent setup. If you're mechanically inclined it's both fun and somewhat challenging to install but looking back I enjoyed every minute of it. It runs perfect and I have the satisfaction of knowing I installed every bit of it by myself and know it inside and out. Now that I've done one I can also give you tips and you'll find plenty of pictures on the DOB site. Overall, I probably spent about $2,000 less compared to the Edelbrock's retail price but used about $1,000 of that to make other upgrades (AFR/Boost gauges, adjustable urethane motor mounts, etc) so if price isn't a decider really up to you which way you go. I can tell you I don't regret my decision at all and really enjoy the new power. And, from the outside you can't really tell she's supercharged...;D View attachment 72370 View attachment 72371 View attachment 72372 Here's a couple of pics.
I was talking about the actual front cover of the engine block. I have the gen1 cover which has to be taken off and replaced with a gen2 cover. That would've required removing the heads and crank pulley, just didn't want to tackle it because I have zero experience with engine tear downs.i went with the Edelbrock because all it requires is threading 3 existing holes on the front cover. Your car looks great by the way.

DieHarder

Reaction score
Roger that. That is a Lot of Work...

Thanks for the complement. It's a lot of fun now.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
No, he is not taking about the bumper. The engine cover on the Coyote is the cover over the timing chains and cam gears.

Laga

Reaction score
Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back