Pics of my rubbing driveshaft....Is this bad?? :)

TheBOSS

I ride the short bus!
Reaction score
I took it off Saturday and went back with my stock shaft for now. I'm getting ready to call the company and see what they'll do about this....

shaft3.jpg

shaft2.jpg

shaft1.jpg

1Fast05Turbo

Flying Low
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
From the pics can't tell how deep the groves are but I would think those groves will compromise the driveshaft strenght and maybe the balance.

TheBOSS

I ride the short bus!
Reaction score
What was it rubbing against? Just curious if what it was rubbing against needs to be replaced, also.

Just the top of the driveshaft tunnel.....a seam where the floor and the tunnel are spot welded. This is the area they told me needed "Massaged" for it to clear........:naughty:.......I beat on it with a sledge a little but it didn't budge. I'm not sure what is up but I'm thinking my car is just too low for a 1 piece? With stereo equipment I would say its 2.5" - 2 3/4" in the rear....

ulev1st

Mustang Addict!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Mine is doing the same thing. It didn't do it until I put my lowering springs on! The design of that little hump where it hits is so that even smacking it with a 6 # sledge hammer barely dings it..the thing is STRONG!

TheBOSS

I ride the short bus!
Reaction score
Mine is doing the same thing. It didn't do it until I put my lowering springs on! The design of that little hump where it hits is so that even smacking it with a 6 # sledge hammer barely dings it..the thing is STRONG!

Amen brotha!! I hit it pretty hard and it won't budge. I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one with this problem(not really but..), I was starting to think I was crazy...

TheBOSS

I ride the short bus!
Reaction score
Which DS is that?

Coast driveline shaft from Stangsuspension dot com....

I called them earlier and they said "No problem" send it back! I have to pay shipping but thats better than eating $600!!

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You've got a pretty good drop on your car. Thinking any 4" DS is going to cause the same problems. Maybe you can go with a 3.5".

TheBOSS

I ride the short bus!
Reaction score
You've got a pretty good drop on your car. Thinking any 4" DS is going to cause the same problems. Maybe you can go with a 3.5".

Honestly I don't think any of them will work without some modifications to the tunnel....Not with a hammer.... :)

TheBOSS

I ride the short bus!
Reaction score
My car has BMR lowering springs, 2" in rear, and I have maybe 100lbs. of stereo/wood in the trunk so its a little lower. I also cut an inch off my bump stop to get a little better ride so that could be the reason I'm having more problems then some of you all?!? (a little more travel)
All I know is that once you have it and you go back to the stock shaft, it kinda suxs!

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
who makes a 3" DS im scared of the same thing happening to me

Denny's is the only one I know of...but let's not even go there.:naughty:

Spyder - 4" GT Aluminum - 16.5 lbs
Coast - 4" GT Aluminum - 17 lbS
Power House Automotive - GT 4" Aluminum - PHA-DS05 - 19 Lbs
BMR Fabrication - GT 3.7 Carbon fiber - DS005 - 20.7 Lbs
Denny's Drive Shaft - GT 3" Steel - FM200567NR - 23Lbs
Lethal Performance - GT 3.5" Aluminum - DSS-FDSH4 -
?

Honestly I don't think any of them will work without some modifications to the tunnel....Not with a hammer.... :)

My daddy always used to say that if it didn't work the first time...get a bigger hammer.:clap:

KIMMER

Admin
Reaction score
Spyder is 4" to 3" tapered shaft. Get ahold of ron, but pretty sure it would clear.

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
It's 3" in the front right under the shifter. I don't think it will help in the middle of the tunnel. I think a bigger hammer is in order. :rock:

MrClean

Marc; but I go by MrClean
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I also cut an inch off my bump stop to get a little better ride so that could be the reason I'm having more problems then some of you all?!? (a little more travel)
Before you go beating the living crap out of the underside of your ride, I think this is the key to the problem...you have more travel because of the shortened stops...you could get some new ones, and try that, or you could get some springs with a higher spring rate... just my :2cents:

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Before you go beating the living crap out of the underside of your ride, I think this is the key to the problem...you have more travel because of the shortened stops...you could get some new ones, and try that, or you could get some springs with a higher spring rate... just my :2cents:

That's too easy...I like the idea of a bigger hammer better. :samuri:

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Meee Too!!!:kinky:

I would hate to replace the stops, buy Another driveshaft and still have the problem. ..... ...
You could get a smaller diameter (3.5") chromoly driveshaft... Would be a little heavier, but still quite a bit ligher than stock with the all the other benifits of a 1pc - I have adjustable springs on my car so it has been up and down according to various tire diameters and I don't see how I would not get rub with such a large drop...

I got a rubber skidmark on my DS when dropped about 1-3/4. During burnouts it would hit a glob of "undercoat" that accumulated at the rear of the tunnel.

Bingo

Because street car
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Is this a unique problem? There has to be more people running 1-piece driveshafts along with lowering springs.

How did you figure it was rubbing? Was it making noise?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back