Pics of my rubbing driveshaft....Is this bad?? :)

travelers

Reaction score
I took it off Saturday and went back with my stock shaft for now. I'm getting ready to call the company and see what they'll do about this....

shaft3.jpg

shaft2.jpg

shaft1.jpg
Yep thats a bad one. Maybe you should change to a 1.5 inch dorp springs. It will help with the weight you have in the back.

donnyonee

forum member
Reaction score
ive got the eibach pro springs and the LMP DS, never a hint of rubbing.

spyder7724

Reaction score
The shortened bump stops is the key to the problem here...along with being probably >2" lowered. I did this also when i was playing with my spring adjusters/coilovers raising and lowering the car. As long as the bump stops are the stock length is usually won't rub but at a certain point you are just riding on the bumps and it's kind of rough.
It's just another one of those deals where this particular mod effects the next one and so on. I do know that cutting down the bump stops in the rear is not a very good thing with the one piece shafts. I think mine was actually rougher riding with the stops cut down.
I've messed with my suspension so much I honestly think I've tried just about every combination of travel/pinion angle/ride height shock-strut setting there is.
all in the name of speed.

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The shortened bump stops is the key to the problem here...along with being probably >2" lowered. I did this also when i was playing with my spring adjusters/coilovers raising and lowering the car. As long as the bump stops are the stock length is usually won't rub but at a certain point you are just riding on the bumps and it's kind of rough.
I assumed that went without saying - lowered that far, he is either riding on them or has cut them already?

Can't say I have detailed measurements on hand, but I recall when I dropped it by 1-3/4 - I looked at the bump stops and thought - "hmm, that's not going to work"... Took it for a drive and after decompressing my vertebra, I pulled out the hack-saw...

Short version - I don't think you can lower by 2+" and NOT cut them or you'd be riding on them most of the time or when you hit the slightest of bumps...

TheBOSS

I ride the short bus!
Reaction score
Is this a unique problem? There has to be more people running 1-piece driveshafts along with lowering springs.

How did you figure it was rubbing? Was it making noise?

Yeah, you can hear it grinding on the underside of the car AND when I tried a hard launch from a dead stop, it howled like crazy....like a hollow tube ringing noise(wasn't good!)
There are a lot of cars that are lowered And running the one piece shaft but I think mine is just a little too low. I'm more into the "show" side of this thing right now so I might have to stick with the stocker for now....Maybe later on I can raise it back up and do the one piece.

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
you got an adjsutable UCA? that can help you. that little area you need to massage? i ripped mine off on a launch at the trackwhen the shaft hit it, its completely gone now haha. made a HUGE noise i thought i blew the rear end out

KILLER06GT

forum member
Reaction score
My driveshaft looks just like yours boss. I have the car sitting so that it wont rub, but once i get my front tires im going to drop the back more for that slammed look. Im worried that when i get my car back im going to have that rubbing issue again. I think ill just have a custom 3.0 made by the driveshaft shop.

BTW with my driveshaft all cut up like yours its had some 1.6 60's and tons of highspeed runs with no issues

Last edited:

spyder7724

Reaction score
any of you guys with the rubbing problems have upgraded rear suspension parts? I've got mine lowered almost 2" in the rear now and it doesn't rub.

06GT_Vert

Still Stock
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
any of you guys with the rubbing problems have upgraded rear suspension parts? I've got mine lowered almost 2" in the rear now and it doesn't rub.

Spyder,

The link in your sig. - No workie.... Should be aerocatch.net

Last edited:

firestang70

SW Ohio Ninja
Reaction score
My car is lowered 1.5" and running the spydershaft and have the same rubbing. On hard launches or hitting big dips at speed on the highway. Haven't been able to "coax" the metal to move away from the DS.

TheBOSS

I ride the short bus!
Reaction score
My stock one is back on right now and I had a big cruise this weekend and having a stock driveshaft didn't seem to slow me down...... I raced a 98 GT with a Procharger and a big list of internals, he was running (so he said) 18lbs. of boost.
From a 35mph start on the highway, I pulled a on him with every shift so that made my day!

spyder7724

Reaction score
My car is lowered 1.5" and running the spydershaft and have the same rubbing. On hard launches or hitting big dips at speed on the highway. Haven't been able to "coax" the metal to move away from the DS.
an adjustable UCA and resetting the pinion angle to correct the geometry will cure that problem completely.

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Too bad those parts aren't free! LOL I have one lined up, just no funds for it yet.

Might want to consider putting the stock DS or rear springs back on until you can adjust your pinion...That or drive like granny. Hate to see you ruin the DS.

Roush007

forum member
Reaction score
My car is lowered with Eibach Sportlines. I have 2 kids, 1 7yrs old and 1 11 yrs old that ride in the back and I haven't had any problems.
173802.jpg

KILLER06GT

forum member
Reaction score

Ive got adj uca and lca, I also have coil overs in the rear and the car is dropped more than 2 inches. IF i had to geuss its atleast 2.6-2.70 right now.

spyder7724

Reaction score
Ive got adj uca and lca, I also have coil overs in the rear and the car is dropped more than 2 inches. IF i had to geuss its atleast 2.6-2.70 right now.
wow! you are slammed. ever consider using air ride stuff that way when you want to go low you can just push a button and have that look but you would be able to cruise or race at a more normal ride height to avoid any problems.
also remeber that decreasing the diameter by 1/2" only gains an additional 1/4" of clearance in the top of tunnel. It sounds like you may need more than that at your planned ride height.
I'm thinking either you will have to go back to the stock shaft or install a pencil sized driveshaft to ensure clearance.
The air ride stuff isn't cheap but then good stuff usually isn't and if you really want to go almost 3" down it's the safest practical way of doing it without having to change and modify a ton of other stuff. you could set it up to be say 2" lowered while driving around town or racing then when cruising slam it to the weeds. I installed them on my buddy's GM pickup and man was it nice. before the truck rode like crap cause of the short springs and no travel. afterwards we could adjust while driving to get the best ride knowing that when he pulled into a parking lot he could flip a switch and scrap the exhaust off if he wanted.

KILLER06GT

forum member
Reaction score
Haha yea, my dads even buddies with the owner of airride technologies. He has a white 05 thats slammed and it had a part in that forza show. At barrett jackson last year i got friendly with their pr person and she told me shed get me a deal on airride for my car. Its still a little too much and by a little i mean i could have an shortblock installed and tuned.

The driveshaft is scuffed up like bosses, but I raised the car to the point where it wont hit and i raise it even more when i go to the track. Also I cant go down to 3 inch because thats only good until about 75 mph.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back