Please Help Indentify This Sound

Redline727

"I wanna go fast!"
Reaction score
So this is my first Mustang. I got it on Memorial Day. So far so good I'm pretty happy with my purchase. However there is a weird noise I hear at idle that sounds like a belt chirping. Which I thought that's what it was from over use of engine dressing when they did my clean for delivery so I thought it would where off after some miles or spray a little brake clean on it and it would go away. Except it never did and the more I listened for it the more I realized it wasn't coming from that area. So I figured I'd bring it by the dealership and have them check it out. I'm a service advisor at BMW and I know the longer you wait on something the harder it is to get taken care of or more damage can be caused if something is actually wrong. So the tech said he couldn't find anything wrong with the car and he couldn't identify what was causing the sound or where it was originating from. They also claim they pulled a 2014 GT next to mine and it made the same noise. They told me to finish breaking it in and put 1k miles on it and see what happens, if it doesn't go away go back in. Or if it gets worse before 1k go back in sooner. I only drive 10 miles a day and not every day so 1k seems really far away. My question to everyone is this sound normal and has anyone identified it before and does it go away as the car gets broken in? In the video you kind of have to listen past the engine idling and listen for the noise that kind of sounds like belt noise

http://youtu.be/z6-oLJMo_3w

Last edited by a moderator:

DrTriton

Reaction score
Are you talking about the rotational rubbing sound? Not sure about the source (almost sounds like a dry bearing, but your car is too new).

Go find yourself one of those cheap automotive stethoscopes and place the probe on the various sub-components of the front-end drive (alternator, tensioner, idler, AC compressor, etc.) to see if you can pinpoint the source that way.

Redline727

"I wanna go fast!"
Reaction score
Yeah that's the sound I'm referring to. It just pisses me off that they couldn't find anything wrong. And that they said they pulled up a 2014 next to mine and it made the same sound but no where on the forums has anyone reported something like this. You would think someone somewhere experienced this before and can at least has comfort knowing its common and I'm not causing damage to anything.

Last edited:

Redline727

"I wanna go fast!"
Reaction score
So I pulled the car into the shop at my work and put it on the lift and two master techs and I searched for the cause of the sound with a stethoscope and had no luck. We searched for 45 min. So at least I know the tech wasn't feeding me a line of BS and he didn't wanna take the time to really look. What makes it worse when you get the car into a big shop the sound is harder to pin point. It's a lot louder on the ground in a parking spot next to a car and especially in my garage when the sound just echoes off the walls. But even with the noise louder it's still hard to pin point even with the stethoscope. In thought for sure it would be a tiny leak in the exhaust manifold or cat. But everything looks perfect. We have a couple guesses but even my techs agree with 180 miles on it now on a brand new car the best thing is to drive it and break it in, change the oil and see what happens. One of the techs thinks it may be coming from the area of the oil pump. Which is scary. But everything reads normal for pressure and temp and car runs strong. So we will just have to see. Hopefully it's just one of those sounds they may be normal and will go away after break in and oil change.

Nick@JDM

Official Vendor
Reaction score
A lot of the new 5.0s make that noise including my personal car. I think its normal. Mine did it from the dealership and have had no problems with it. Bumping the idle up a bit seems to make it less noticeable.

Shat9611

Ex-ford tech
Reaction score
Sometimes breaking it in will get rid of noises... My 3.73's whinned a little bit when i forst bought the car bit after the first 3,000 miles the rear is quiet as a mouse with no problems... Good luck to ya let us know if it goes away

225stang

Reaction score
If its the noise that I think you're referring to then mine makes the same noise. Infact, I was considering taking mine to the dealer to get checked but from what I'm seeing it appears to be normal for the 5.0's.

Redline727

"I wanna go fast!"
Reaction score
A lot of the new 5.0s make that noise including my personal car. I think its normal. Mine did it from the dealership and have had no problems with it. Bumping the idle up a bit seems to make it less noticeable.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I feel a little better knowing that I'm not the only one and no one had heard of any issues. Maybe it will go away maybe it won't. I'm hoping when my Roush exhaust gets put on I won't even notice it haha. Ill keep the thread going if it goes away after I put 1000 miles on it and ill do an oil change ill let everyone know.

Other then that noise the car has been great. My last car was a 09 370Z with intakes Uprev tune and Invidia CBE and test pipes. I made 335whp and 265tq and the 5.0 definitely takes the cake in the power comparison stock. My Z did feel a lot more nimble though. But my Z had the sports package with the wide 19" Rays wheels and big brakes. So compared to my stock GT 18's and standard brakes I'm sure that's a big difference right there.

Only other complaint I have is I have a rattle/vibration coming from the rear window area right by the defroster hook up but I'm just gonna leave it alone. I don't even want a dirty tech climbing all over my stone leather back seats taking stuff apart to try and isolate the sound chances are the more stuff the take apart trying to fix this rattle something else will make noise from being taken off and put back on. Plus more may occur after the exhaust goes on anyway and there is more of a rumble back there.

cbrtrx

forum member
Reaction score
I dont hear the belt chirping noise you are describing but I hear a rhythmic knocking or tapping sound that sounds like a rod knock. It seems that noise comes and goes on these cars, usually after you change the oil. I dont think that noise will ever completely go away if that is the same noise you're hearing.

ryan

Boost Fanatic!
Reaction score
I had belt chirping on my 2011 5.0 after 4k miles. Brought it in and the replace the serpentine belt. It went away after that. However, that was fairly easy to pinpoint.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back