Please put my mind at ease!

06Torch

forum member
Reaction score
I have a Shaker hood. After 6 years of ownership it was looking pretty weathered. So, I disassembed it and painted the shaker flat black.

I reinstalled it and turned the car on. The idle dipped a little then stabalized. I watched it a few minutes then moved the car. Again the idle dipped. I stopped the car and the "check engine" light came on. There was a strong smell of fuel coming from the exhaust. Then the little "wrench" light came on. I shit myself!

I turned off the car and noticed the connector going to the MAF senor was disconnected. I forgot to slide the little red tab in after pushing it back on. I disconnected the battery thinking it would clear the "check engine" light but it didn't. The "wrench" light did go away and the car runs fine.

So, is my car ok and how do I clear the "check engine" light now?
Thanks all,

Gerardo

Kenaizer

forum member
Reaction score
I have a Shaker hood. After 6 years of ownership it was looking pretty weathered. So, I disassembed it and painted the shaker flat black.

I reinstalled it and turned the car on. The idle dipped a little then stabalized. I watched it a few minutes then moved the car. Again the idle dipped. I stopped the car and the "check engine" light came on. There was a strong smell of fuel coming from the exhaust. Then the little "wrench" light came on. I shit myself!

I turned off the car and noticed the connector going to the MAF senor was disconnected. I forgot to slide the little red tab in after pushing it back on. I disconnected the battery thinking it would clear the "check engine" light but it didn't. The "wrench" light did go away and the car runs fine.

So, is my car ok and how do I clear the "check engine" light now?
Thanks all,

Gerardo

Should be fine. You might need to clear the code. Someone with a SCT will be able to or Autozone can.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
clear it with your SCT handheld

you should be fine

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
Make sure your TB bolts are tight as well, but I've accidentally forgotten to plug my MAF back in. I've also run the car without the intake connected period. You'll be OK

06Torch

forum member
Reaction score

Left home this morning with my SCT tuner in hand. Moved the car into the warehouse to "work" in the shade and the "check engine" light went off on its own.

How nice was that? lol! :naughty1:
Thanks again everyone,

Gerardo

ZPounds09GT

forum member
Reaction score
It probably just needed to run a little bit to verify the code should be cleared, just like it takes a couple miles for the OBDIIs to get a reading.

TGR96

el blanco nino
Reaction score
OP, if it makes you feel better, I have done the same thing before. Worked on the car, then forgot to plug in the MAF sensor. Car started but ran like crap and check engine light came on, just as you descibed. Didn't hurt the car at all, but it certainly scared the living bejeebus out of me! So I feel your pain!

Back