Post up pics of your Git-Boxes

raverjames

Beer Advocate
Reaction score

KIM_05_GT

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Any of you guys try a online tuner? Any recomendation? I bought a clip on, but am waiting for it to show up.

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have a Korg tuner, a Boss tuner and a tuner is just about every digital box I connect up to my guitar - seems everyone and their brother tosses in a tuner into their hardware these days. The Korg and Boss, I've had for years and do just fine...

The thing about stringed instruments is that they can be a little touchy when it comes to tuning compared to some.

When you first pluck the string, you actually stretch it out and at it's peak oscillation, it is swinging so far side-to-side that the string actually changes its tension ever so slightly and becomes a little sharp. Then it settles in to a steady note/vibration and will be a little flatter than when you first pluck...

So, given that - you want a tuner that moves slow or at least has a "slow" mode so that the needle isn't swinging back and forth. I presume since this thing you mentioned is designed for strings, it should already...

Next nice thing to have is a tuner that will play/emit the note you select (i.e. play it through a speaker). It's good to get used to tuning by hear to hear the beat frequency between two sources (tuner and your string, or two of your strings) when they are out of tune...

Your ear can do a better job of telling you when you are in tune than a bouncing needle (or digital indicator). Most eventually reach a point where they just need one note to get started from an outside source and then they can tune the rest of the guitar by ear in one of several methods...

Eventually you find out that "perfectly in tune" doesn't exist and you have to tweak it a little after the little box tells you everything is in tune you may have to go back and "fix it" depending on what you are playing...

All of this is a long winded way of saying that provided it at least doesn't lie to you about a given note's frequency, doesn't eat expensive batteries and is easy/intuitive to use - its plenty good enough and don't worry about it...

I tune with whatever gadget is most easily accessible at the time...

Charlie Sheen

Armed and Hammered
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

That'll work :thumb:

...When you first pluck the string and blah-blah-blah...

Why didn't you mention the effects of a properly setup truss rod and/or a floating bridge/remolo. lol

Tuners are pretty in-expensive now, I would guess 99.99% of them serve their purpose. I usually wind up using the ones on the amps or just tune my acoustics by ear. A friend of mine tunes pianos and his ear is so good he doesn't even need a reference point to start tuning a guitar - 100% by ear.

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Why didn't you mention the effects of a properly setup truss rod and/or a floating bridge/remolo. lol
Well, that would have been over the top:idea: :roflmao:

We can talk about saddle position and truss rods later after he's built up some callouses... :thumb:

Which BTW - is the most annoying things about "cheap" guitars...

They often suffer from one or more of the following which makes them frustrating as hell to play:
a. Lack the initial build quality to be tuned correct, not warp, not get string buzz/bind, etc...
b. Lack the hardware to adjust these things
c. Lack stability/strength to stay tuned (flexing)
d. Lack the materials not to start warping and flexing as they age...

Roper said:
Tuners are pretty in-expensive now, I would guess 99.99% of them serve their purpose. I usually wind up using the ones on the amps or just tune my acoustics by ear
What he said - though if you are just starting out - make sure and practice with the reference (the aforementioned 99.99% of tuners)...

Few have the sort of perfect pitch he describes in his friend - it's not usually something you "develop" over time - you get better, but for the most part, you ether have it or you don't...

Charlie Sheen

Armed and Hammered
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
...They often suffer from one or more of the following which makes them frustrating as hell to play:
a. Lack the initial build quality to be tuned correct, not warp, not get string buzz/bind, etc...
b. Lack the hardware to adjust these things
c. Lack stability/strength to stay tuned (flexing)
d. Lack the materials not to start warping and flexing as they age...

Gotta watch it there... I've had more fun tuning/playing my son's $60 acoustic than I've had with a few of my others that cost quite a bit more. Whenever I buy a (new) guitar now, I play the crap out of it before I leave the store. I've left a couple behind...

On another NOTE, here's the sad part of my life. I've been fortunate and collected some really nice guitars/amps and recording equipment. My son wants to play drums. :idea:

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Gotta watch it there... I've had more fun tuning/playing my son's $60 acoustic than I've had with a few of my others...
LOL - I play my daughter's nylon 3/4 all the time - sounds great... Priced about the same...

Plenty of elbow room in the bathroom to top it off!:thumb: Sometimes you just want to noodle out a few notes without all the wires...

I didn't say (or at least did not mean to say) that you cannot find a good cheap guitar - that's what my mexican strat is all about - but it took 10X the shopping to find it than it took to find a good American strat...

Even then, I had to pick the one that required some soldering the day I got it home (I know that in advance, but 5 minutes of solder was worth the tone and action)...

IMHO it takes experience and skill to find a good cheap guitar - almost as much as not paying too much for a good expensive guitar...

Roper said:
Whenever I buy a (new) guitar now, I play the crap out of it before I leave the store. I've left a couple behind...
:thumb: That's why it's hard work - not only do you have to do this, you have to be able to hear them unplugged and then know what amp to plug them into to hear the electronics...

Roper said:
On another NOTE, here's the sad part of my life. I've been fortunate and collected some really nice guitars/amps and recording equipment. My son wants to play drums. :idea:
You had to know that was coming right? I just got the "I want to learn drums" speech as well...

I told her she can learn drums on any given weekend, she needs to learn a musical instrument first... :roflmao:

FalconGTHO

The Reporter
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Most of what we hear is formulaic crap - this is proof IMO, that we don't exist in a system where music lives or dies on its artistic merit.

No doubt about that. My point is simply about the "Clapton worship". Ive encountered it as long as Ive listened to rock. My point is, I cant imagine he recorded anything bereft of his "3 finger style", and to me, if he didnt leave that behind, the stuff I havent heard really cant be any better than the stuff I have. Im just not motivated to find out. He work doesnt "capture" me, move me to do so.

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Try and play it, it's a bitch.
Oh I know, I was just kidding...

BTW - what was your plan for learning rockabilly? Did you have materials you plan to start with or just listen and bang it out the old fashioned way?

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back