Power steering pump fitting = Wrong angle??

Flapjack

Lunatic engine swapper
Reaction score
This gawddamn, cocksucking, piece of motherfucking shit power steering pump. There's nothing I hate on this car more than it. I swear it seems like I replace it more often than I fill the damn car's gas tank.

The last time I replaced it, it never stopped leaking. It wasn't until I took it off (because it was groaning and making all sorts of racket) that I realized why. The suction side fitting was off angle on the last one. It moved, so I rotated it to meet the supply line from the reservoir. I realize now that it wasn't supposed to move. The fitting was pressed in.

It also l looked different than usual. It was a block-looking fitting, where they've usually been the thin elbow that I have now. When I got the replacement, I thought "Oh, they must've given me the wrong one last time".

So today, I decide to reinstall the new one. I've been putting it off, since it's been such a snowy mess here, plus it's such a PITA. I get it in place and realize, the stupid fucking elbow is in the same place.

Realizing a lot of stuff in my car has been fabbed at somepoint (it was originally a V6), I want to make sure I'm not losing my mind here. So I took a picture. Should the elbow really be at this angle?? I'm pretty sure the GT/4.6L has the power steering pump in the upper position, but on my 5.4L, it was too close to the frame rails, so I relocated it down to the lower position (I had to get a F250 front cover to have the mounting bosses for it).

So I'm wondering what should I do? Should I try to rotate the stupid thing again? ...or should I take it back and order a different pump?

Just to be clear...

- The car was originally a 2005 V6
- The PS reservoir is the same on the GT and V6 (I believe)
- The engine is 5.4L 3v
- The front cover is from an F250 (so I could mount the power steering pump low)
- Only the last two PS pumps have had the fittings at this angle (IIRC)

(click for large)

Flapjack

Lunatic engine swapper
Reaction score
Last edited:

Flapjack

Lunatic engine swapper
Reaction score
I picked up an F250 pump for $40 today. It was actually in stock. Got there, and the fitting looked correct, so I took it home.

I'll probably install it tomorrow.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
That line has a small nylon o ring on it. If you rotated the line then it could be damaged. If you have to replace the o ring a good thing to know is that it is hard to get on the line. When you get it you will think it is the wrong size, but it will go on with some effort.

Flapjack

Lunatic engine swapper
Reaction score
That line has a small nylon o ring on it. If you rotated the line then it could be damaged. If you have to replace the o ring a good thing to know is that it is hard to get on the line. When you get it you will think it is the wrong size, but it will go on with some effort.
I always replace the nylon o-ring whenever I remove/install that line. The pumps come with one, but I have also spares in a bag.

Like I said, I really, really hate these fucking steering pumps. If it wasn't for wanting my wife to still be able to drive the car, I'd probably go to a manual steering rack.

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
well now with the f250 p/s, it may drive like a truck! :)beer:)

That's an interesting idea, and it'll be interesting to see how it works out.
I've fought some leaks from those lines too at various times.

Flapjack

Lunatic engine swapper
Reaction score

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back