Product/technique questions

LS1EATINPONY

The Banker
Reaction score
I am getting ready to buy a DA polisher and pads. Im also going to need a backing plate and need to know the recommended size backing plate to get for it. I have read alot on here and have decided to go with the FLEX 3401 DA so ill need to know what to get for that polisher. As far as this is concerned, I am going to buy supplies for it and I got this so far

Lake Country Backing Plate System - allows you to use pads ranging 4' to 6'5"
Lake Country Hybrids 5" - Orange Pad (Cut), White Pad (Polish), Black Pad (Finish - wax/sealants)
CarPro IronX
CarPro Eraser
Nanoskin Clay Pad
Menzerna FG400 (Compound)
Menzerna SF4000 (Polish)

I bought some Chemical guys blacklight last year and never used it. Id like to use it so it doesnt go to waste and need to know when to apply it after I go through this process on my car.

Im also looking to get try some new products. I have been using chemical guys glassworks on my windows. I like it for the most part..... until it gets cold outside and the windows fog over. I see there is still some product left over on the windows that I cant see after ive cleaned the car. I always use two rags to clean with when using it. I use one side of the rag to apply the product and flip it to the dry side to wipe off the leftover. Then I use my second rag as a "buffer" to "polish" it off. I also dilute down the product as instructed so I should be fine there. Anyone have tips or recommendations on a better product for windows?

I have the same issue with tire shine. I normally use meguirs NXT 2.0 or the newer to me product, Meguiars Ultimate Black. I usually spray it on and let it sit for a bit and buff it off with a rag. My problem is that it always goes away within two or three days. What can I do differently or is there a good product that I can use from say autoality or another vendor that works better and lasts longer?

Lastly, I have an issue with my trim. Specifically in the cowl area on my car. It is turning white and hazing over under the windshield wipers. What can I do to prevent it in the future? Also, what can I use that will work good on it and good on my Roush Rear side splitters? Those stupid things fade in about a day after touching them.

Pics for reference.
20150207_145704_zpscinexete.jpg

I appreciate anyones time and input on this. I know its alot to take in at once but I know we have some great guys here and alot of knowledge tied up into this trade.

With all this in mind I am willing to spend about $600 maybe $700 on this initially and add to it as I go.

Last edited:

Bullitt 3309

forum member
Reaction score
For trim and tires, CarPro PERL is very good, dilute 4:1 for trim, 1:1 for tires. The Blacklight is used as a final product, but doesn't have very good durabilty. But that doesn't matter if you use it at least monthly. For my exterior glass i used the CarPro glass polish and polish pads and sealed it with Hydro2. I have heard wonderful things about Carpro Flyby30. I have some to use the next time I do my glass. For the inside glass, I use dedicated glass towels and CG glass cleaner. The towels have a tight weave which seams to get all the product off the glass without streaking. I use these glass towels http://www.microfibertech.com/microfiber-glass-window-towel-300gsm.html .

28ONE

Reaction score
I'd use the following products:

Meg's D120 Glass Cleaner - best non streaking glass cleaner I've used

Meg's D143 Non-Acidic Wheel & Tire Cleaner - great stuff, especially removing old tire dressings

CarPro PERL - interior trim - same dilution as Bullit3309 suggested

CarPro Dlux - I strongly recommended this for exterior trim - most important step is cleaning the trim properly before applying. If you can, I'd remove the cowl and clean with an APC 1:10 - once thoroughly clean, apply Dlux - use cotton make up pads to apply.

Tufshine Tire Coating - 3+ months protection

I've found glass coatings to be tricky. I initially used PBL glass coating, lasted about 3-4 months. I've since applied CarPro FlybyForte - not too impressed with the results but it may have something to do with my application, which I followed exactly as directed.

Before:

After:

Do you have Detailer's Club Membership from Autoality? If not, definitely buy it, you'll save a ton of money - especially if you're getting the Flex and pads. What are you planning to use a clay lube? ONR is cheap and best bang for the buck.

The biggest challenge is deciding on which product to try. If I can share any piece of advice, find out what you like best and stick with it. Just because it cost more doesn't always mean it's better. Trust me, I'm so guilty of this myself. What's even harder is the want to try out new products as they're released. If you haven't done so, may I suggest joining Autogeek Forum - tons of information!

I've been using a lot of Meguiar's Professional Detailer Products lately, and imho awesome stuff at a bargain price...

LS1EATINPONY

The Banker
Reaction score
Lastly, I have an issue with my trim. Specifically in the cowl area on my car. It is turning white and hazing over under the windshield wipers. What can I do to prevent it in the future? Also, what can I use that will work good on it and good on my Roush Rear side splitters? Those stupid things fade in about a day after touching them.

Pics for reference.
20150207_145704_zpscinexete.jpg

I asked about this back in Feb. I bought CQ perl and it works great. However, im still having this issue with my cowl area with it turning white. The car is a year old. Hardly old enough for trim to be doing this. it currently has a coat of CQ Perl on it but Im curious as to what I can use to strip it off and clean the plastic piece really well and recoat? Im sick of this white look on it. Drives me nuts

28ONE

Reaction score
My suggestion would be clean with APC to remove all the crud, clean with Eraser then apply CarPro Dlux and be done with it...

28ONE

Reaction score
One more thing, I also suggest using those round cotton makeup pads instead of the suedes provided in the Dlux kit - in addition apply Dlux in one pass - you'll see what I mean once you do it - any questions don't hesitate to ask

LS1EATINPONY

The Banker
Reaction score
O while im thinking about it. First off what do you mean by one pass? As in dont overlap and apply multiple coats?
Second- what is the dilution amount for CQ pro?

28ONE

Reaction score
Yes, just one pass - you can apply multiple coats later- just make sure its dry to the touch. Otherswise it's sticky and you'll have a mess on your hands - ask me how i know haha

CQ pro?

The product I'm talking about is CarPro Dlux Plastic and Wheel Coating - there is no dilution of this product...

LS1EATINPONY

The Banker
Reaction score
Gotcha. Yea I was talking about dlux. I thought there was a dilution for some reason. I'll run down some eraser hopefully and try it out. Autoality has been a big fail for me. Anything I want is never in stock.

28ONE

Reaction score
yeah CarPro products at Auto usually go pretty dam quick...

You can always make your own version of Eraser: Meguiars D114 Iso and distilled water:

Get a gallon of distilled water, pour out a little. Then pour in 8ounces of D114. This will give you 1 gallon of panel wipe.
Then take your empty 32oz bottle and first pour in 10ounces of 91 IPA.
Lastly grab the gallon of your panel wipe and fill up your bottle.

LS1EATINPONY

The Banker
Reaction score
yeah CarPro products at Auto usually go pretty dam quick...

You can always make your own version of Eraser: Meguiars D114 Iso and distilled water:

Get a gallon of distilled water, pour out a little. Then pour in 8ounces of D114. This will give you 1 gallon of panel wipe.
Then take your empty 32oz bottle and first pour in 10ounces of 91 IPA.
Lastly grab the gallon of your panel wipe and fill up your bottle.

Can I use ONR instead of D114? Its both rinsless washes so I would logically think yes.

28ONE

Reaction score
Nope - even tho they're rinse less products I'm sure they contain different chemical makeup. d114 doesn't leave anything behind

Last edited:

gtman

forum member
Reaction score
I'd use the following products:

Meg's D120 Glass Cleaner - best non streaking glass cleaner I've used

Meg's D143 Non-Acidic Wheel & Tire Cleaner - great stuff, especially removing old tire dressings

CarPro PERL - interior trim - same dilution as Bullit3309 suggested

CarPro Dlux - I strongly recommended this for exterior trim - most important step is cleaning the trim properly before applying. If you can, I'd remove the cowl and clean with an APC 1:10 - once thoroughly clean, apply Dlux - use cotton make up pads to apply.

Tufshine Tire Coating - 3+ months protection

I've found glass coatings to be tricky. I initially used PBL glass coating, lasted about 3-4 months. I've since applied CarPro FlybyForte - not too impressed with the results but it may have something to do with my application, which I followed exactly as directed.

Before:

After:

Do you have Detailer's Club Membership from Autoality? If not, definitely buy it, you'll save a ton of money - especially if you're getting the Flex and pads. What are you planning to use a clay lube? ONR is cheap and best bang for the buck.

The biggest challenge is deciding on which product to try. If I can share any piece of advice, find out what you like best and stick with it. Just because it cost more doesn't always mean it's better. Trust me, I'm so guilty of this myself. What's even harder is the want to try out new products as they're released. If you haven't done so, may I suggest joining Autogeek Forum - tons of information!

I've been using a lot of Meguiar's Professional Detailer Products lately, and imho awesome stuff at a bargain price...

Op, good luck with the detail. In my limited experience, it seems like my blacklight was similar to a glaze and I was happy with the shine. My paint seems to be less reflective when i added my lava wax after the blacklight.

You have any promo/discount codes to share like seer used to? Im impressed with your product selection.
Im currently in the market for some polish and a nanoskin/clay like rag if someone has a good experience with one.

00blkvert

forum member
Reaction score
Op, good luck with the detail. In my limited experience, it seems like my blacklight was similar to a glaze and I was happy with the shine. My paint seems to be less reflective when i added my lava wax after the blacklight.

You have any promo/discount codes to share like seer used to? Im impressed with your product selection.
Im currently in the market for some polish and a nanoskin/clay like rag if someone has a good experience with one.

Blacklight is essentially a glaze. It fills in the small swirls and will make them not as noticeable. I am not sure why Lava made your car have less of a shine but I think Chemical Guys best waxes are Petes 53 and 50/50 out side of that Zymol and Auto Finesse have very nice waxes.

Autogeek usually pushes out a lot of emails with deals. If check out detailersdomain.com I can get you a 10% off code they also do a lot of specials. They usually carry some nicer end products then some companies. Autoality is awesome. Wait till Christmas time he will do a discount on his membership to like 25 a year and the discounts are better then most sales anywhere else.

I like menzerna, Sonax, and 3D HD polishes and most nanoskin are pretty much the same. Amazon usually has a bunch on there cheap.

XxBoostinxX

forum member
Reaction score

Blacklight is a glaze and is just gonna fill. The results will be temporary.

I have used the nanokin sponges and mitt. I like the mitt more because I can knock out two jobs at once. Stay away from the aggressive grade nanoskin. It will mar your paint. Get the fine grade.

I love Menzerna polishes and highly recommend them. They work great on all paint systems. I use FG400, SIP1500, PF2500, and FF4500 pretty regularly. I also recommend the new two Sonax polishes 4/6 and Cutmax. Both work great with zero dust and a good working time.

Call Autopia Car Care and ask for Ray Vega - 877.855.3125 - Tell him XxBoostinxX sent you. He will match any discount you receive anywhere else. Usually there is a 15% discount going on most of the time. If you sign up for the rewards I also get a $5 credit: http://myaccount.autopia-carcare.com/mod_referralRewards/welcome.php?referralCode=RXWYQF

On your cowl, a lot of guys have been using a number of different things. Solution finish is a newer product that is getting great results. I used 22ple on my exterior trim and had good results also.

BigSexySP

Reaction score
Blacklight is basically a glaze. I'm partial to a lot of Chemical Guys products but frequently use 3M, Meguiars and Wizards as I get a good deal on that stuff through work.

I really like the Premium gold towels that CG offers for doing final work. You can find 12 packs of them on Amazon for a good price and Prime shipping if you're a prime member.

Have you tried Wizard Black Renew? It's quick and easy with great results for the effort put in, IMO. Would work good for the situation on your cowling.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back