Progressive wouldn’t insure me.

07 Boss

Reaction score
Been shopping for insurance. Wanted to up my coverage and add value to my vehicle. I was denied because my suspension has been modified. Is that weird or is that the norm? Just need to know if I have to start lying to these people or if the next company will care when I try and up my comprehensive coverage?

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Is the car a DD? If not look at Haggerty and Grundy

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
I've had Progressive insurance for years (due to price, not their politics). They insured my 2009 Bullitt which I totaled after boosting the power to 643rwhp and then running out of talent. Had over $40K in modifications including swapped T56 trans, forged motor and supercharger pushing 15 lbs of boost. BMR K member and front A arms, full BMR rear suspension, etc. In all the years I've had them, never once has anybody asked me if I had a modified suspension.

Heck, I have air shocks on the back of my 2002 F150. Does that count as modified suspension?

Of course I never tried to add to the insured value. When I totaled my Bullitt they paid me full retail blue book value. Of course I bought it back and parted it out.

07 Boss

Reaction score
I've had Progressive insurance for years (due to price, not their politics). They insured my 2009 Bullitt which I totaled after boosting the power to 643rwhp and then running out of talent. Had over $40K in modifications including swapped T56 trans, forged motor and supercharger pushing 15 lbs of boost. BMR K member and front A arms, full BMR rear suspension, etc. In all the years I've had them, never once has anybody asked me if I had a modified suspension.

Heck, I have air shocks on the back of my 2002 F150. Does that count as modified suspension?

Of course I never tried to add to the insured value. When I totaled my Bullitt they paid me full retail blue book value. Of course I bought it back and parted it out.

Well I had a good online quote but you gotta call in if you want to add insured value. That’s when they asked me a list of questions. I was thinking it might be worth it as I almost had the car totaled but managed to get them to fix it. In Nevada when there is a dispute about the value of the car a third party is called in to evaluate it. It was that third party that advised me I should look into it.

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
Well I had a good online quote but you gotta call in if you want to add insured value. That’s when they asked me a list of questions. I was thinking it might be worth it as I almost had the car totaled but managed to get them to fix it. In Nevada when there is a dispute about the value of the car a third party is called in to evaluate it. It was that third party that advised me I should look into it.

What is odd about this would be why question about insured value then? If they know there is going to be a denial why ask?

JJ427R

Reaction score
I have my insurance thru State Farm and have now for about 30 years, I've priced others but nobody has been able to beat my current rates or policy. I have a 2010 Roush 427r and thru state farm it's just covered as a standard mustang gt, no extra premium for the Roush add on's, and I confirmed with my agent that the additional Roush stuff is covered and it is. He made a copy of my original Roush sticker for his file.

bambam 06

Reaction score
Been shopping for insurance. Wanted to up my coverage and add value to my vehicle. I was denied because my suspension has been modified. Is that weird or is that the norm? Just need to know if I have to start lying to these people or if the next company will care when I try and up my comprehensive coverage?
Never heard of that before, my stang is insured for $50,000 value, all they wanted was lots of pictures inside/outside of vehicle. Never asked about the "mods". Been with them for 10 years.

Iceman62

Bullitt 6005
Reaction score
That's insanity...just call Flo, she'll get it fixed. :D

Macman45

Resident Geriatric
Reaction score
It kinda makes sense, they'll insure it stock and pay out the book value of a stock 3V. If you want increased value you'll need a specialty insurance like Hagerty or Grundy. Grundy insures my GT/CS for $30K stated value and it's $300 a year zero deductible.

AndrewNagle

forum member
Reaction score
It kinda makes sense, they'll insure it stock and pay out the book value of a stock 3V. If you want increased value you'll need a specialty insurance like Hagerty or Grundy. Grundy insures my GT/CS for $30K stated value and it's $300 a year zero deductible.
Your driving record must be better than mine. Grundys passed on me, I have mine through Hagerty $50k stated value for $1,000 a year

Macman45

Resident Geriatric
Reaction score
Your driving record must be better than mine. Grundys passed on me, I have mine through Hagerty $50k stated value for $1,000 a year

Weird! They first complained about the age of my daily (BMW 3 series) but same model year as the mustang, supposed to be "newer."

But I have a handful of tickets including 99MPH on an 80MPH freeway in Texas. That one stung.

07 Boss

Reaction score

I use haggerty for my 2nd gen FireChicken. They wouldn't do my mustang because she's now my daily with too many annual miles and gets parked outside and shit. Wish I would have kept my little turbo vert to daily but the wifey had an issue with me owning too many cars. Does Grundy insure primary use vehicles?

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Grundy and Haggerty typically will not insure daily's

Grundy has some affiliation with Philadelphia Ins Co and I think they will insure DDs through that affiliation

testcase

Reaction score
First off I'd never buy from progressive given the owner is a left wing bastard..
But I'd try Haggerty if it isn't a DD.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back