Purchased an Aluminator (NA) motor. Questions regarding sounds and codes being thrown

SapperDaddy21B

Reaction score
Original Thread Location (Click Me)

Long Story Warning:

I bought my 2011 Mustang GT back in 2011. A few months after I started modding it, putting on a Boss 302 intake manifold, JLT Cold Air Intake, BBK Shorty Headers, and a BBK X Pipe as well.

I was using a BAMA 93 performance tune from American muscle and I threw a code for a cylinder 8 misfire. I took the car to ford, they voided my warranty and they re-installed cylinder 8, and told me the car was rebuilt according to "Ford specifications".

Two months later, I spun a bearing immediately after an oil change, the engine seized and I realized that I needed to rebuild it, because Ford refused to touch the car even though they did do work prior to the seizing of the car.

I finally got the car rebuilt (a year after the fact), and bought a Ford Racing N/A Aluminator Crate Engine. It's day 5 of having the car, and I've already got some major issues that I'm concerned about.

1) P0300, P0302, P0308 codes. I called Ford Racing and they told me that if I simply re-learn the Crank Positioning Sensor, everything will be resolved. I've an appointment on Monday with Scarsdale Ford to fix this issue and we'll see how that works out. I'm really hoping, but given my history with Ford, their delaerships and their worksmanship, I highly doubt that will solve anything. But I am certainly hoping! *crosses fingers*

2) A knocking / rattling / ticking sound in the engine. The motor is sounding very strange. A few friends of mine are saying: "Oh, don't worry about that, it's normal, forged internals are gonna rattle and make noise, that's what they do", etc. But this just doesn't sound normal to me and I'm worried dearly. Attached to this post is footage of the car today 10/4/2013, and what the rattle / knock / ticking sound sounds like.

Please, help if you can.

Information about the car:

Total Miles On Car 39007 Miles.
Miles on engine: 450-ish miles on it.

Videos:

Video 1: Aluminator Start - Idle Engine Sounds
Video 2:
Aluminator Start - Engine Sounds After Warmup and Subsequent Revs

Thanks!
-Lenworth

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Who did the motor swap? Do you know if they primed the motor prior to initial start up?

Are you doing something unusual like running 20w-50 oil? It sounds like the timing is off to me. FRPP is probably right about the crank relearn procedure.

Good luck with it.

stang910

forum member
Reaction score
Majority of it sounds like extremely bad exhaust leaks. Did you put the gaskets back on between the headers and h pipe?

tagle281

forum member
Reaction score
It sounds and acts like something timing or ignition related. It shouldn't "stumble" like that when you rev it up. It's hard to say cuz I hear a lil tapping noise like PTV contact.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back