QA1 Mustang Single Adjustable Rear Shocks w/ Koni Yellow Fronts

2013DIBGT

I Hate Wheelhop
Reaction score
Hello,

I read somewhere that Koni Yellow Rear shocks on are national backorder until Aug-Oct timeframe. I'm hoping this is a rumor but in case it isn't I was wondering if the QA1 adjustable rear shocks would work in combination with the Koni Yellow fronts?

Understandably this would not be my first choice to mix and match components like this but is there any reason to believe such a setup wouldn't or can't work on a 2013 Brembo package GT? I would fully intend to sell of the QA1 rears as soon as Koni replenishes their supply of yellow rears.

Is there anyone running such a setup or have any info on using this combination?

Thanks

2013DIBGT

I Hate Wheelhop
Reaction score
So based on all the replies I'll assume mixing these two dampers is a bad idea best reserved for fools and impatient owners who can't stand the thought of waiting till OCT for more Yellow's to come back in stock.

This is a real :nk: Koni, I gotta tell ya!

sheizasosay

Alive
Reaction score
Nobody uses qa1's on handling setups that I've seen.

I will say this (without first-hand experience with QA1's):

The intent of a qa1's are for drag racing.

Drag racers use softer springs than road race cars.

Drag racing lasts only a few seconds.

Given those facts and QA1's are geared for drag, I would think that the QA1's wouldn't be concerned with the heat generated by left, right,left, right.... So, in speculation, they might fade much quicker than a koni and lose damping ability(not good).

Considering they are adjustable you should be able to properly dampen stock rate springs no problem. Higher rate springs might be a problem.

ALL of that could be totally wrong. It's just what I would be "concerned" with or curious about.

I personally would wait or go with a different damper (yellows are awesome though). Or you could get those above concerns addressed. You might could get an answer from Sam Strano about those dampers and you might find some interesting info.

Let us know what you find out.

NotaHybrid

I'm slow
Reaction score
Why not tokico d-specs? I've heard good things about them also. They would be my other option after yellows.

Sent from my helicopter

Brezick

Yinzer
Reaction score
FWIW I have QA1 on front and rear. Love them for the 1/4 mile, but would not want to test them in a circle track.

Sam Strano

forum member
Reaction score
The Koni rears are on backorder from Koni NA right now. I managed to scare up 4 rears (that's only 2 car sets). D-specs frankly aren't as good between the more poor warranty support and the double acting single adjustment. I sell them, I've used them, I've won a National Championship on them too, but if you can do Koni Sports I would and with the sale the price difference isn't even there anyway (that's coming to an end too quickly).

As for QA1's. Don't do it. In fact you'd be better off if you are trying to get something better on the car, to slap some less costly STR.T's on the rear if you just can't wait, at least they have valving that matches a Sport front near full soft.

QA1's aren't even gas-charged, they are prone to fade. But the bigger issue is the adjustment isn't really what you want. Doesn't work on the piston, so it's not as velocity sensitive as you'd like. In short, while you can "make them stiffer and softer", that's all the time, what you want is more rebound control, but not crazy amounts of it at all piston speeds. You get it your valving changes across the board piston speed wise.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back