Question about 2006 4.0L

GuitarHero79

Reaction score
So.... I just picked up an 06 V6 4.0 w/ pony package - with 80k miles - for 5k. Needs a few rear suspension components and front brakes... so, 300 extra bucks. Few dings and dents. 5k for what you described with that many miles? Run, don't walk away.

DBcooper

Reaction score
I gave 6400 for my good condition 05 GT with 130k on the clock about 8 months ago. No way I'd give anywhere near 5 grand for a v6 with that many miles on it

Dimontague

Reaction score
Had my thermo blow completely off on the highway. Ford did update according to my mechanic.

James Morse

Reaction score
Now checking out an '09, VIN I wrote down doesn't have enough digits according to Carfax so need to go look at that again (it's close). Guy (used dealer) is doing some fixes on it - tie rod ends, some bushings, some lights, he said. 140k miles. Maroon-ish color. Says "45" under pony logo on front fender. Not GT, just base v6 I think. Radio upgraded, has custom exhaust and wheels, so, not totally stock. He said he probably was asking 4500 once it is inspectable. I gave him my number and said call me, I'd have to drive it. Automatic trans. Nothing really special about it except that it's 1/2 mile away so at least I can know more than I can from something far away. Will get correct VIN and see history if I can. Price probably is about right, I mean, compared to the unbelievably high prices I am seeing on Mustangs. If car is basically solid it could be a good transplant candidate maybe. Let me know what you think based on this sketchy description. I'll try to get the right VIN, that may tell me more.

James Morse

Reaction score
OK, not sure if I can get free Carfax, but I have the VIN. Exhaust was modified (guy told me this), I see it exits the system just inside the passenger rear wheel, seems kind of weird. Not stock wheels - TSW brand I believe, 10-spoke alloys, black. They are running 275/35ZR18 rear and 225/45 ZR18 front, some tread left but not new by any means (the tires). I don't know enough about this to know if these mods are upgrades or just hacked around on it or what. And of course I haven't heard it run or drove it so it's all just looking right now.

James Morse

Reaction score
Yeah, looking at other posts it sounds like I am not finding good deals.
Saw one 07 v6 with 160k miles for $4k, that's at least getting somewhat reasonable. Had manual trans, so that might be a plus. Probably have to pass on a bunch before the right one comes up.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
As I said before, I looked at many, in 2012. Most sellers were out of their mind with the asking price back then. And now we have prices on all kinds of stuff skyrocketing.
Lumber is insane. New cars are insane, there is not enough new cars being produced due to computer chip shortage. All stemming from the Covid shit, when the lockdown started and production shut down on shit. Now, with all the work from home folks buying computers, created the chip shortage.
I paid 12k for my v6 stick w/52000 miles. From a Ford dealer, so I know I got raped.

Tman

forum member
Reaction score
OK, not sure if I can get free Carfax, but I have the VIN. Exhaust was modified (guy told me this), I see it exits the system just inside the passenger rear wheel, seems kind of weird. Not stock wheels - TSW brand I believe, 10-spoke alloys, black. They are running 275/35ZR18 rear and 225/45 ZR18 front, some tread left but not new by any means (the tires). I don't know enough about this to know if these mods are upgrades or just hacked around on it or what. And of course I haven't heard it run or drove it so it's all just looking right now.

Check to make sure that it still has the catalytic converter‘s on it. That could be an issue depending on where you live. As long as they’re there you have a lot of options for a bolt on after market exhaust kit. Some really nice ones out there that add a bit of performance as well as sound upgrades. Generally speaking there around 600 bucks for a decent kit from what I’ve seen. There’s also some economy options that utilize GT takeoffs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grabber_Mike

Reaction score
Going to state the obvious, low miles and service records are the key to a good car. If you have a little money and can turn a wrench, you can make a diamond out of a lump of coal when it comes to Mustangs.

The way I approached my Mustang hunt was by looking at what I had to work with. Paint that could be restored, seats that were in good shape as an example. Tires, wheels and other improvements can be made over time and makes the journey fun and exciting.

Hope you find that find.

DieHarder

Reaction score
It should go without saying be on the lookout for rust. Check rear quarters, underneath front to back and driver/passenger floorboards if you can. A good start would be the condition of the brakes/rotors. If they have thick rust look closer everywhere. You can fix a lot on these cars relatively inexpensively but if rust has taken hold better to walk away and look at others.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back