Question about crank position for Cam install

Deathstang II

Reaction score
Got some Hot Rod cams i'm installing tomorrow morning, first time diving into a cam install, but I'm fully aware what to do for the most part. Thought I'd do a little bit of prep for tomorrow and according to the Ford PDF the crank should be positioned in the 12 O clock position and the notch in the 1 O clock position.

But from the images of my pulley it doesn't quite look the same and the notch is located in the 11/10 O clock position rather. Am I just retarded and unable to visually find my positioning from the visual diagram? Or is it because I haven't spun the crank about 5 rotations. Thanks!

Screenshot 2022-04-16 193043.png

IMG_0558.JPG

IEKY3632.JPG

Last edited:

mustanger

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
It looks like your notch is in the right place to me. You need to rotate the crank some more. In the picture it looks like you have the spoke closest to the notch at about the 9/10 o'clock position. Once your rotate it so that spoke is at the 12'oclock position, the notch will then be at the 1 o'clock position.

DieHarder

Reaction score
This (above). Don't pay attention to the holes on the dampener. Rather, note the spoke/notch reference

Deathstang II

Reaction score
Appreciated! I'll go by the notch then, I also have the cam phasers to line me up as well. Ill let yall know how the install goes.

Forty61

forum member
Reaction score
Only complaint I have is it doesnt buck around as much as I'd of liked (understand that it isn't too aggressive, but expected a little more).

You mean the shake at idle where the car rocks side to side? Mine has that a little bit with the Hot Rods..

Deathstang II

Reaction score
You mean the shake at idle where the car rocks side to side? Mine has that a little bit with the Hot Rods..

Yeah the idle buck, It does a little but its not as much as I'd of thought lol. And seems to only do it in a particular spot within the revolutions.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back