Question on build info on the Ford Racing 46X Modular Stroker SB

Mystickeith50

forum member
Reaction score
Most of them are supercharged cars....mostly pd blowers. Although I think it's a combo of shock on the hit and high horsepower at high rpm. Christ evolution literally had a bucket of them from stock cars that added blowers.

Wild White Pony

forum member
Reaction score
I'm getting 630whp at 18psi 93 pump gas with meth on the 4.6 Aluminator through a 5r55s. Vortech V3 modded to oil fed, F-63 blower cams and lockouts with FRPP intake. Will look forward to seeing your numbers with that 46x as that would be the next replacement when the current engine goes.

Last edited:

jjjferro

forum member
Reaction score
I'm getting 630whp at 18psi 93 pump gas with meth on the 4.6 Aluminator through a 5r55s. Vortech V3 modded to oil fed, F-63 blower cams and lockouts with FRPP intake. Will look forward to seeing your numbers with that 46x as that would be the next replacement when the current engine goes.

Nice numbers. How's the 5r holding up? Did you do anything to it?

Steve@Tasca

Official Vendor
Reaction score
Most of them are supercharged cars....mostly pd blowers. Although I think it's a combo of shock on the hit and high horsepower at high rpm. Christ evolution literally had a bucket of them from stock cars that added blowers.

I know superchargers can be harder on these pumps than turbos due to the extra pressure put on the belt drive. I think it has a lot to do with how hard you push it.

I've had turbo Terminator customers in the 7-8-900 hp range on stock oil pumps in the past but those also ran lower oil pressures than the 3v stuff. Again, not arguing, just discussing and learning. :)

-Steve

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
I know superchargers can be harder on these pumps than turbos due to the extra pressure put on the belt drive. I think it has a lot to do with how hard you push it.

I've had turbo Terminator customers in the 7-8-900 hp range on stock oil pumps in the past but those also ran lower oil pressures than the 3v stuff. Again, not arguing, just discussing and learning. :)

-Steve

I've been told and always believed that too short of a belt can take out an oil pump due to the tensioner running out of travel and slamming into the end stop under load (such as supercharged applications). You can compare it to hitting the end of the crank with a sledge hammer.

Wild White Pony

forum member
Reaction score
Nice numbers. How's the 5r holding up? Did you do anything to it?

After 8 years the stock trans went out last weekend at Byron, it did have a few mods like a hardened input shaft, Circle D converter and a JDM overflow, tweaks in the trans tune code. Called Level Ten on Monday, they should be shipping out a new fully built trans today.

Old trans works fine on the street but skips second and won't shift into 4rd gear during WOT at the track so I ended up bouncing it off the rev limiter through the traps. Went and did 2 data logs and it confirmed it. Still pulled an 11.30 run with 2 gears LOL...

Last edited:

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
I've been told and always believed that too short of a belt can take out an oil pump due to the tensioner running out of travel and slamming into the end stop under load (such as supercharged applications). You can compare it to hitting the end of the crank with a sledge hammer.

The whipple directions have you cut the stop off of the tensioner. I've wondered how much that helps.

I'm one of the people who has always used a stock pump. My current build did use a 13 GT500 pump with a 3v pressure spring so it's basically a 3v pump (even says it on the housing) with a different back plate.

It's one of those things that happens but the exact reason seems to elude us. Some also believe it can have something to do with the tune. Detonation in particular. I think that oil thickness, pressure, and clearances all play a part in it too.

Does anyone know if it happens very often with stock GT500s? Ford did think that the back plate flexing and consequently binding the gears would contribute to failure so they went to a billet back plate on the 13 and 14 GT500.

This is a subject that I try to get as much info as possible on because imo it shouldn't happen, but it does.

rayS197

Reaction score
I have one of the first runs of the A46x 5.0 stroker blocks and so far no issues. For the pump gears I decided to stay with what came with the SB. I went back and forth on the pump gears asked quite a few people before making the decision. The pump that ships with the SB has a stronger backing plate and as Bruce stated its fitted on all 13+ GT500's. I did add an ATI balancer thats about it. Good Luck!!:hi:

jjjferro

forum member
Reaction score
I have one of the first runs of the A46x 5.0 stroker blocks and so far no issues. For the pump gears I decided to stay with what came with the SB. I went back and forth on the pump gears asked quite a few people before making the decision. The pump that ships with the SB has a stronger backing plate and as Bruce stated its fitted on all 13+ GT500's. I did add an ATI balancer thats about it. Good Luck!!:hi:

I'll look into the ATI balancer. Thanks

jjjferro

forum member
Reaction score
I'll look into the ATI balancer. Thanks

ATI doesn't make an 8 rib for the 2005-2010 Mustang GT. They say they have to machine an extra 2 ribs on the one for these cars (pn 918039) for an extra $60. Anyone else experience this?

cm581978

forum member
Reaction score
Slightly off topic, but are you purposely going to blow the motor in two weeks at the rental? :idea::idea::idea::idea:

ATI doesn't make an 8 rib for the 2005-2010 Mustang GT. They say they have to machine an extra 2 ribs on the one for these cars (pn 918039) for an extra $60. Anyone else experience this?

jjjferro

forum member
Reaction score
Slightly off topic, but are you purposely going to blow the motor in two weeks at the rental? :idea::idea::idea::idea:

Nah not pushing the limits on anything. Need to sell as a long block, recoup some of the money from the build lol

jjjferro

forum member
Reaction score
That is that same thing ATI told.me. there is enough material on the balancer to cut more ribs.

OK. Wanted to make sure since it's $60 more. Dam thing already cost $379.......

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Will the procharger pulley fit the ATI balancer? Bruce can answer that question.

They make a combination that works together but I couldn't figure it out by looking at the website. Innovators West makes a Procharger setup. IIRC Billy 05stroker has an IW pulley for sale cheap. You would still need the balancer though.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back