Question on Ghost cam or real cam 08 Bullitt

Justinbullitt

Reaction score
Hello I have recently ourpurcha a 2008 Mustang bullitt with 95,000 miles on her. The dealership I bought it from said it had a small cam but didn't know what was in it. I have took off the valve cover to replace Vvt soleniod and looked at the cam while I was there I couldn't see any markings that I could read to see if it is cammed. One thing that makes me thing it has a ghost cam tune. The car smells like rotten eggs bad at idle only. I also noticed that when I turn the AC on at idle the cam sound almost goes all the way away until I turn the AC back off then it starts to sound cammed again. Any help would be appreciated. I don't have any kind of tuner hooked up to it but I don't know if the old owner might if had it tuned.

01yellerCobra

forum member
Reaction score
Usually the rotten egg smell is a sign of cats going out. Or they're already bad. And if they're clogged they'll cause issues with how the engine runs.

Justinbullitt

Reaction score
no such thing as a ghost cam tune in the 3V
I just keep getting mixed reviews I have read online some say you can and some you can't. I'm just trying to figure out what's done to my car.

Usually the rotten egg smell is a sign of cats going out. Or they're already bad. And if they're clogged they'll cause issues with how the engine runs.
Ok cool deal thanks for the info. It smells bad especially at idle. Slmeone online said if you run a ghost tune with cats it will smell like rotten eggs.

possible exhaust leak around the header/h area.
Well I checked for exhaust leaks and couldn't find any. It just smells coming out the pipe. What I'm trying to figure out is if I have a cam and I was reading up that aftermarket cams can cusec the cats to go bad also. Is that true?

Last edited by a moderator:

01yellerCobra

forum member
Reaction score
As stkjock said, there's no such thing as a ghost cam tune for the 3V. I don't know where you're seeing mixed reviews. The ghost cam only works on the coyote engines because the overlap can be adjusted by adjusting the intake and exhaust cams separately. The 3V only has one cam per head. No way to adjust the overlap.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
you can't.... I've owned and been involved in the S197s for 12 years... take my word... no such thing

cams/tunes that make the car run rich can cause the cats to go bad early

Cam markings would be on the very end of the stick.

Justinbullitt

Reaction score
As stkjock said, there's no such thing as a ghost cam tune for the 3V. I don't know where you're seeing mixed reviews. The ghost cam only works on the coyote engines because the overlap can be adjusted by adjusting the intake and exhaust cams separately. The 3V only has one cam per head. No way to adjust the overlap.
Sorry I have just found a couple videos of the 3v with ppl saying they have a ghost cam tune. Then I got my buddy saying 4 of his friends have ghost came tunes in a 3v. Well this clears that up looks like I do have cams. Now to figure out which cams I have. The only thing that made me wonder also. Is when I turn my A/C on my car doesn't sound cammed just a little bit. Then when I turn the AC off the car starts lopping again.

Justinbullitt

Reaction score
you can't.... I've owned and been involved in the S197s for 12 years... take my word... no such thing

cams/tunes that make the car run rich can cause the cats to go bad early

Cam markings would be on the very end of the stick.
Alright cool thank you. I would trust your opinion over random video and post I have seen that I was not sure of. Now to find out what cams I have. Do I have to remove the cam phaser to see the marks? The one thing about my car is with the AC on it dosnt have the chop. Then I turn the AC off and it starts chopping again is that normal with a cam?

07 Boss

Reaction score
Sorry I have just found a couple videos of the 3v with ppl saying they have a ghost cam tune. Then I got my buddy saying 4 of his friends have ghost came tunes in a 3v. Well this clears that up looks like I do have cams. Now to figure out which cams I have. The only thing that made me wonder also. Is when I turn my A/C on my car doesn't sound cammed just a little bit. Then when I turn the AC off the car starts lopping again.

Post one of those videos, I wanna see what these idiots are claiming. And your friend is probably one of those guys that thinks he knows everything but don't know squat, huh? With the 4.6 l 3v the only way to get a ghost tune or lope without an actual cam with overlap is to unplug a couple of spark plugs.

Justinbullitt

Reaction score
Post one of those videos, I wanna see what these idiots are claiming. And your friend is probably one of those guys that thinks he knows everything but don't know squat, huh? With the 4.6 l 3v the only way to get a ghost tune or lope without an actual cam with overlap is to unplug a couple of spark plugs.
For sure no problem. Yes that's what I was thinking. When I first got it he told me it was a ghost cam tune which I had never ever heard of for 3v. Here is one video I was looking at

Forty61

forum member
Reaction score
For sure no problem. Yes that's what I was thinking. When I first got it he told me it was a ghost cam tune which I had never ever heard of for 3v. Here is one video I was looking at

I’m no expert like most people on here but his ‘stock tune’ still sounds more lopey than factory and his idle RPM after he changes the tune looks to be slightly higher which would eliminate some of the lope you get.. probably made the video just to try and get views.

Justinbullitt

Reaction score
I’m no expert like most people on here but his ‘stock tune’ still sounds more lopey than factory and his idle RPM after he changes the tune looks to be slightly higher which would eliminate some of the lope you get.. probably made the video just to try and get views.
That's kinda what I was thinking it still sounded different then stock after he said he put it back to stock. I know someone about me posted the idle mihhy go a little higher that's why my car doesn't sound cammed at idle with ac. I just check with ac on or off I still idle a little until 1k. I just want it to chop with ac on or off if I really have cams.

Forty61

forum member
Reaction score
That's kinda what I was thinking it still sounded different then stock after he said he put it back to stock. I know someone about me posted the idle mihhy go a little higher that's why my car doesn't sound cammed at idle with ac. I just check with ac on or off I still idle a little until 1k. I just want it to chop with ac on or off if I really have cams.

Maybe post a video of your car so we can see/hear what it’s doing.. my ‘08 has Hot Rod cams in it and they lope pretty hard when warmed up without the A/C but, like yours, if it idles up for the A/C or a cold start or if the battery has been off it then it has a little lope but far less noticeable.

Justinbullitt

Reaction score
Maybe post a video of your car so we can see/hear what it’s doing.. my ‘08 has Hot Rod cams in it and they lope pretty hard when warmed up without the A/C but, like yours, if it idles up for the A/C or a cold start or if the battery has been off it then it has a little lope but far less noticeable.
Ok I will get a video of it today so I can let y'all here how it sounds. Thank you for the info.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
Only ghost camming you can do is pull an injector plug while the car is idling lol
It's physically impossible as we have only one cam per head. You may have hot rod cams, they are a small cam.

Justinbullitt

Reaction score
Here is an idle without actually on.

Here is a video with the A/C turned on

Last edited by a moderator:

rocky61201

forum member
Reaction score
Serious question. Dafuq is a ghost cam tune? Is that how you tune a Coyote or similar 4 valve motor with variable cam timing by changing the time independently on the stock intake and exhaust cams so that it has a lopey idle but also makes it run like crap thru the rest of the rpm range?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back