Race Belt Mounting

jayel579

forum member
Reaction score
I am in the process of fitting my car with a set of fixed back seats. For now I am installing a harness bar for the belts until next season when I back-half a cage in the car. My question lies for the track guys mainly but how do you do about mounting the sub and lap belts? Did you drill the eye-bolts into the trans tunnel for the lap belts and the floor panels for the sub-belts? I know everything has to be at the proper angles, Schroth does a very nice job of diagramming that. I just wanted to see how everyone else mounted there's in. The interior isn't completely stripped out of the car and I do not think I ever will so I want to try to keep this as nice and neat as possible. I have seen some other items I can add use to avoid drilling holes (like here and here) but I wanted to see what other guys have done.

Goal for the car is just a solid DE car, nothing fancy or crazy but still safe.

NDSP

forum member
Reaction score
I'm assuming you are talking about drilling holes for lap belts because you want to keep the stock seat belt for use on the street? I've always removed the stock seat belt and used the factory locations for the lap belt, used a bar with tabs that attaches to the seat mounting bolts for the sub belt and the of course the roll bar cross bar for the shoulder belts.

jayel579

forum member
Reaction score
Ya know, I didn't even think about using the OEM holes for the lap belts. I am thinking that I will be taking the factory belts out, car isn't going to be on the street much anymore. Truck and trailer are on the horizon this off-season to transport the car to events.

Osiris

forum member
Reaction score
I had a buddy weld it across the rails of the seat mount. I didn't mount it to the front two seat mount spots.

claudermilk

Reaction score
That is what I used as a model to build my own. I had the steel and a welder. It was cheap and easy to create.

I probably ought to go that route myself. Know where to get the steel, and have access to a welder and a little skill. Probably the same for the lap belt mounts, too.

jayel579

forum member
Reaction score
I will be doing my install of everything next weekend, I will take a few pics while I am at it.

AutoXRacer

forum member
Reaction score
Resurrecting this thread.

Regarding the 5th harness point bar mount, does this setup work with stock type seats?
Is a 5-point harness compatible with stock seats?

Seems like in the stock seat, the crotch area is so far back that the 5th attachment point seems not ideal.

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score

Regarding the 5th harness point bar mount, does this setup work with stock type seats?

Seems like in the stock seat, the crotch area is so far back that the 5th attachment point seems not ideal.

Check with your harness mfgr, but I think you've got to have an anti-sub strap hole in the seat. If you didn't, and just ran the strap over the front of a stock seat, the harness wouldn't even be contacting you.

jayel579

forum member
Reaction score

No, 5 point harnesses are not compatible with stock seats. The anti-submarine belt goes between your legs and through the seat then mounted to the floor.

AutoXRacer

forum member
Reaction score
I just spoke with Cool Tech and the way they setup 5 point harness is that the lap belts and anti-sub belt are both attached at the same point (low on the floor behind the seat). Then you lay the anti-sub belt on the seat making a V and you sit on it, then clip in the anti-sub. So basically you are wearing straps around your inner thighs.

Wonder how this works/feels.

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
I just spoke with Cool Tech and the way they setup 5 point harness is that the lap belts and anti-sub belt are both attached at the same point (low on the floor behind the seat). Then you lay the anti-sub belt on the seat making a V and you sit on it, then clip in the anti-sub. So basically you are wearing straps around your inner thighs.

Wonder how this works/feels.

works great, feels better with a 6-pt harness than a 5...but maybe not at the exact same "depth" if you know what I mean

Last edited:

AutoXRacer

forum member
Reaction score
So in your opinion, is a 5 or 6 point all that necessary for the local HPDE goer?

I don't race competitively, I just enjoy tracking my car, honing in my driving skills while squeezing out the best times I can, and just having a plain old good time.

Whats your opinion if one were to go with a simple 4 point?
I'm looking for something better than my CG Lock.

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
So in your opinion, is a 5 or 6 point all that necessary for the local HPDE goer?

I don't race competitively, I just enjoy tracking my car, honing in my driving skills while squeezing out the best times I can, and just having a plain old good time.

Whats your opinion if one were to go with a simple 4 point?
I'm looking for something better than my CG Lock.

A harness will make track driving a lot more fun, less fatiguing, easier, and you will get faster.

I don't know if HPDE orgs. have similar rules...but here's a bulletin from one of the ones here in Texas-

https://www.thedriversedge.net/seatbelt.htm

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back