Rear differential clunk question

tw557

Reaction score
I'm chasing a rear end clunk in my 05 Gt rear-end. I have the cover off and see a bit of play between my ring housing and the inner gears thru the clutch pack and spider gears. Plus it doesn't take much to turn one wheel with car in park and other wheel wedged. Is my clutch pack bad? I have a short video showing the inside slop also just can't post it here.

Doug Huggard

Reaction score
When does the clunk happen? Going from drive to reverse? Under light load with light throttle application from coasting?

tw557

Reaction score
I get a slight clunk from forward reverse and letting on and off throttle. I get a solid clunk when taking a slow 90 turn or into a parking lot when it down shifts into second. I have a 7 sec video just can't post it. I have cover off and pretty much spider backlash. The ring gear can go about 1/4 or more before axels turn.

bl817

Reaction score
upper diff. bushing probably shot. upper control arm bushings as well.

07 Boss

Reaction score
Could be the two piece driveshaft. Always had a little clunking until I went with an aluminum 1-piece.

tw557

Reaction score
I just got everything back together. The upper bushings look pretty good and no movement with pry bar. The drive shaft moving freely in and out but I can't feel any rotational slop at all at the slip joint. It just seems the noise I hear is the 3/8 rotation the pinion flange has with all the slop in the spider gears. I just wish I could have found a clutch pack kit in stock ANYWHERE to help. Should It be easy to have the clutch pack tabs rotate back and forth in the differential housing pockets as I turn the pinion by hand.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back