Rearview mirror rattle?

007GTCS

forum member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever had their rear view mirror mount rattle?
At first I thought it was my Automater gauge pod. But it turns out, every time my cams hit on cold start. Or about 1000 rpms. The metal on glass mount rattles. I can stop it by pressing down with my thumb. Anyone ever seen/heard of this before?

rcharles

forum member
Reaction score
Mine rattles between the 2 halves of the actual mirror while I'm driving. I grabbed the mount and it still rattled, just touch the mirror and it stops.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Unfortunately it's inside the mirror mount, not something that can be easily tightened.

On my Bullitt I bought an auto darkening mirror from another person. When trying to remove my stock mirror (which rattled) I ended up breaking the windshield after fighting it for an hour. Thankfully in Florida windshield replacement coverage is mandatory and included on every auto policy with 0 deductible. I went over to Safelite and they replaced my windshield and even let me plug in the new mirror before installing the new glass.

Be aware the tab to release the mirror is almost impossible to trip. The easiest solution is a hammer, unfortunately.

Wicked GT

OCD with ADD...
Reaction score
Mine used to rattle on my '12... removed the mirror from the mount, put a small felt pad on the inside of the mirror and no more rattle.

pics06gtstang

forum member
Reaction score
Thankfully in Florida windshield replacement coverage is mandatory and included on every auto policy with 0 deductible. I went over to Safelite and they replaced my windshield and even let me plug in the new mirror before installing the new glass.

ya gotta love these sunshine laws .
i had two safelite in 2015 and @ no charge and a nationwide
coverage plan included , LOL .
i love FLA .

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
get a thin (like 1/8" diameter) but large, maybe 1" to 1-1/2" diameter o-ring.
Cut it in half
stretch it out so it becomes thinner
place between mount and windshield
trim as needed

did this to mine like 2 years ago and no more rattles. Super cheap

007GTCS

forum member
Reaction score
Awesome, thanks for the info everyone! I have windshield insurance as well. But yeah just curious if anyone had dealt with it before. Love this site for that reason!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back