Recommendations for dedicated track wheel and tires?

Vorshlag-Fair

Official Site Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Yeah if you're new...maybe not a slick???

Yes, exactly. I highly discourage folks new to track events from buying R-compound DOT or dedicated racing tires. The higher grip levels of race tires can hide bad driving and encourage bad habits, not to mention the higher speeds they will allow for can get you into situations that your driving skills might not be ready to deal with. Stick with 140-200 treadwear tires, or whatever you can afford in that range or higher.

BFG Rivals
Bridgestone RE11
Hankook RS3
Nitto NT01
Dunlop Direzza Z2

All street tires that can be tracked/autocrossed.
All good choices. Beware that "buying on price" alone doesn't always equate to the best bang per buck. Some tires wear better than others, and of course ultimate performance is rarely found in the lower cost tires.

Right now the best deals on Mustang worthy tire sizes for 18x9.5" to 18x10" wheels include...

Not much else on TireRack in the right sizes (18", proper width, proper diameter) that isn't just junk. The Nitto NT-01 is an R-compound tire (one of what I call the "2nd tier R compounds", well below the grip levels of a Hoosier R6 or BFG R1-S), and has a 100 treadwear rating for a reason. Not for noobs.

Of course those 18x9.5" GT500 repro wheels are boat anchors, but for a beginner you won't probably notice the difference and if/when you get fast enough to where it matters there's always some noob you can sell them to. ;)

Bob

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. Can I do a 295 rival on 18x10 +43 wheel?

Just to calibrate my own noob-ometer... I've done 8 track days in the last year, I solo at ECR and MSR, and am in the intermediate group at Apex and ECR. My best lap is a 1:31.5 at MSR on the 1.7 CCW.

Am I still a full-on noob?

Jucostud

booooost'd
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. Can I do a 295 rival on 18x10 +43 wheel?

Just to calibrate my own noob-ometer... My best lap is a 1:31.5 at MSR on the 1.7 CCW.

Am I still a full-on noob?

Well Terry just ran a 1.17 at the 1.7 msr if that shows you anything lol.

NoTicket

forum member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if Terry was yet running the 345 tires. However csamsh is referencing the setup with 335 in front and 345 in the back.

Tire widths are in millimeters.

(335*2 + 345*2)mm/25.4mm/in = 53.5in of tire.

claudermilk

Reaction score
what does 55" of tire mean? -noob :)
Terry is running HUGE, sticky tires. I think he now has more contact patch than any two of the the rest of us.

This has been a good, educational thread--and timely as I am now starting to seriously look at the same item. I was thinking along the lines of the D-Force wheels Vorshlag sells--less expensive, not the F14 style everyone else uses, and I like the look better--and some Conti scrubs. It now sounds like I should get a set of DOT tires & wear those out first. Probably the Rivals or RE-11s Terry mentioned--and if I understand correctly I would be best to have Tire Rack shave them.

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
I didn't get my Rivals or my RS3's shaved...they seemed to work ok. I don't know if that was correct or not.

modernbeat

Jason McDaniel @ Vorshlag
Official Vendor
Reaction score
...Probably the Rivals or RE-11s Terry mentioned--and if I understand correctly I would be best to have Tire Rack shave them.

I absolutely would NOT shave tires unless it was required to keep them from chunking or you were doing a 100% dedicated autocross build. And the new crop of "street tires" do not need shaving to keep from chunking.

what does 55" of tire mean? -noob :)

It means 55" of tire. That's two 345s in back and two 335s up front.

DSC_1134-M.jpg

claudermilk

Reaction score
I absolutely would NOT shave tires unless it was required to keep them from chunking or you were doing a 100% dedicated autocross build. And the new crop of "street tires" do not need shaving to keep from chunking.

Cool, one less thing to worry about. I did notice my Pole Position S-04s survived my abuse amazingly well--but I wasn't pushing them like most of you guys would. I did grind off about a year's worth of commuting though. :crazy:

jayel579

forum member
Reaction score
The real question is what you get if money is not an option.
icon10.gif

Ha agreed!!

But for the sake of a DE a 275 is all you really need, anything more you are just wasting money. Especially for guys that drive their cars to events. If you are are going to run the larger rubber, then you'd be going that much faster which requires better suspension components along with more aggressive suspension alignments. Otherwise all the money you paid for the extra rubber you are just going to waste them on a street alignment.

Reaction score
You've got 12 track days under your belt, have a humble mindset, and are looking to cut costs.. I'd say give some scrubs a shot. I have picked up 5 continental challenge scrubs for as low as $275 from a local guy. (JBracingtires)

..Proxes RA1 (275/35R18) $272 a tire

If I wasn't up the wazoo in tires, I'd be all over that.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back