Front Suspension Help Needed

Miker

Reaction score
I recently bought a 2005 Roush stage 1 that I am working on. The owner was older and had Alzheimer's disease. All records of the car were lost in a fire. So I have very little history. The car has just under 150K on it. I believe it is original as in the suspension. It drives decent but it does wander and will move around under braking sometimes.
I jacked up the front and when placing my hands at 12 and 6 on the tires I get no movement. At 3 and 9 on the left front I get some back and forth play. None on the right. I need to get under the car with a helper to see where that play is. I understand it could be tie rods or wheel bearing play.
What I have been reading is that the ball joints on these cars wear out fast and with 150K on it it seems it would be completely worn out. So I am wondering if things had already been replaced but it definitely is somewhat squirrely.
I think from what I am reading I will get the GT500 front lower control arms and upper strut mounts. Also the Koni STR.T shocks and struts as it seems they are better than the OEM Ford struts. The cars stance is perfect to me so I am hesitant to get new springs. I almost want to get the stock struts and springs from Rock Auto so I don't have to mess with the springs but I wonder if the Konis will be better.
Any advice as to what to look at under the car or as to my choices of parts? It is not going to any tracks and will only see spirited street use and cruising.
Also the LCAs on it now have heat shields on the rear mounts and my understanding is that they came on stock arms in 2005 but the GT500 replacements will not have the mounts for them. Is that true for the GT500 arms?

GriffX

Reaction score
My Ford Performance do not have the mounts for the heat shields. I wrapped them with self sticking heat shields

Miker

Reaction score
Seems like I read that some of them did. I have a roll of header wrap I was thinking about cutting and fitting over the rear bushing area.

Racer47

Doesn't have much to say
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have and entire stock like new front suspension they is sell for roughly half of rock autos price. I have both front struts with stock springs, stock a arms with ball joints and bushings. Stock front calipers and pads of needed. Strut mounts and probably more.

Racer47

Doesn't have much to say
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Damn phone makes me sound like an idiot... An entire front..... That I would sell...

All of it is off my 06 GT

Miker

Reaction score
I would rather go new as it is the labor to change it that is the hassle. But thank you.

Reaction score
Just saying but I couldn’t fathom myself. Some front end play is required and normal with certain suspensions only within the 1/4” range. You MIGHT be fixing something that needs to be present?

Yes, am speaking about the “factory service manuals” clearly explained but found nowhere’s else. Non-existent today it appears (purposely) and PDF’s won’t cut it. Would question any motives for that especially with a race car directed application, seriously! My Boss in same predicament…

Or just plain wore out from prior habits… my word! https://www.autoserviceprofessional...n-checking-a-variety-of-suspension-components

Last edited:

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
SOunds like the Inner or outer Tie Rod on the movement side is minimally a concern. Like mentioned though, with the age maybe its time to replace all. Withh this you will probably drastically improve the overall feel and handing of the car.

GriffX

Reaction score
from Workshop manual 2013-14, according to this, the 9-3 play is more likely the tie-rod ?

Attachments

• BallJointMustang.pdf
    375.5 KB · Views: 5

Miker

Reaction score
I agree and think it is a tie rod. If it was a loose wheel bearing seems like it would show on the 12 and 6 position too. Would a worn tie rod make the car squirrely on hard braking? Also I am thinking that the front LCAs must have been changed at some point because the car drives too good at 150K from what I am reading. If the ball joints were original seems like they would be falling off at the mileage on the ODO. There is some oil film on the struts but not much and I believe that is normal. The car is not bouncy at all.

Miker

Reaction score
But... I could see worn loose front LCA bushings causing the wandering under hard braking. Is there a way to tell if they are bad besides just looking at them for cracking? There is some but it is minimal.

Reaction score
I just redid the entire suspension on my 06 Roush from all stock to fully adjustable, I can assure you , KONI orange is a great strut for the money, I’m really happy with mine but at the same time it’s designed to go together with lowering springs, also fp front control arms are great as well if yours are tired , I recommend you to go with gt 500 style top mounts from Ford performance for struts, cause yours are for sure worn out at 150k , huge difference as well

JC SSP

Reaction score
Everything mentioned above is sound advice... outer tie rods are simple to replace. Inner tie rods are a little more difficult as a special tool is required (rentable at local auto parts). I recommend they should be done in pairs (left and right). Dont forget to align the vehicle afterwards.

I always replace with quality parts, either Motorcraft, Moog or other reputable manufacture (I like Moog since they come with zerk fittings) and bushings are usually TPR and not rubber. RockAuto is a great source, but NAPA has good stuff too.

If you getting a pull when braking, check pad wear, you might have a sticking brake caliper. Also, check lower ball joints they can make the front end squirrely too.

In reality, any auto garage/shop will do a free suspension check, so you might want to visit your local Goodyear, Firestone, ect. and ask for a free inspection.

GriffX

Reaction score
But... I could see worn loose front LCA bushings causing the wandering under hard braking. Is there a way to tell if they are bad besides just looking at them for cracking? There is some but it is minimal.
If you have a damage bushing or ball joint on one side you will get problems on hard braking. I had a leaking hydro bushing and got a heavy side drag under hard breaking. Because it was not visible form outside I guessed it in the end. BTW the surface cracks in the rubber are more or less normal and no concern.

moooosestang

Reaction score
what heat shields? I have gt500 front lower control arms and don't remember any heat shields. Is that to shield the bushings from the headers? Definitely go with the gt500 over stock because they have the beefier ball joints.

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
what heat shields? I have gt500 front lower control arms and don't remember any heat shields. Is that to shield the bushings from the headers? Definitely go with the gt500 over stock because they have the beefier ball joints.
Thee are shields that protect the rear control arm bushing. It is a hydro bushing

GriffX

Reaction score
I think the heat shields are from 08 model on, between rear bushing and header. Before there are only the latches on the control arm, no shield

DieHarder

Reaction score
Shown with/without heat shield. If you're going to use the heat shields be sure you purchase control arms with the tabs to mount them. Note: lower control arm pictured does not have tabs.

LCA_Heat_Shield.jpg

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back