Remote start recommendations

Flapjack

Lunatic engine swapper
Reaction score
What is the easier way to get remote start on a base 2013 GT? I don't want an obnoxious car alarm or anything... just a remote start function for the winter time.

I'm hoping it's possible with a manual, obviously requiring you to leave it in neutral when you park if you want to be able to use the remote start feature.

Thanks in advance.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
Buy a car with a factory remote start on it IMHO. Aftermarket remote start kits and alarms systems come and go with the wind for the most part. Therefore when the time comes that they begin to have failures, the prints, parts, and support on them have vanished. Chances are the place the installed it has vanished as well.

The one thing I look for when I am buying a car used, is the state of the car electrically under the dash (along with the typical things). If its been hacked, or shows signs there were aftermarket alarms and/or remote starts on it you can't pay me enough to take it off your hands.

Second, chances of finding a shop that will install a remote start on a manual shift car may be tough. Many won't take the responsibility that goes with putting one on a manual shift car.

I love gadgets, but remote starts and car alarms is something I have never been a fan of unless it comes factory (not even dealer added).

07 Boss

Reaction score
There is a kit out there for manuals. You have to follow a certain shut down sequence or the remote start will not activate. Seemed like a real PIA to me.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
There is a kit out there for manuals. You have to follow a certain shut down sequence or the remote start will not activate. Seemed like a real PIA to me.

My boss had one of those put on his car and hates it. Says it takes him several times to get the sequence right and that it has become more of a pain than its worth. Plus again you never know when the system will fail and how to get support for it.

Flapjack

Lunatic engine swapper
Reaction score
How bad could the sequence been? I'm pretty OCD, so I follow a sequence any way. It wouldn't be much to follow a new one. It sounds like a reasonable condition to have to meet to keep things safe. I'm very good with electrical stuff, so I would do the work on my own, vs having a shop do it, cutting corners, making shitty wiring connections, and shit. I've learned the hard way on that with stereos in the past. I don't care how difficult the install is... if I can't do it myself, I don't want it.

@07 Boss
If you have a lead on that kit, let me know. I'm googling it right now.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
How bad could the sequence been? I'm pretty OCD, so I follow a sequence any way. It wouldn't be much to follow a new one. It sounds like a reasonable condition to have to meet to keep things safe. I'm very good with electrical stuff, so I would do the work on my own, vs having a shop do it, cutting corners, making shitty wiring connections, and shit. I've learned the hard way on that with stereos in the past. I don't care how difficult the install is... if I can't do it myself, I don't want it.

@07 Boss
If you have a lead on that kit, let me know. I'm googling it right now.

I remember it having something to do with a window cycle, lock cycles, the e-brake and gear shift have to be set and in neutral, and something else I don't remember the whole thing. It was stupid enough I would have said screw it before wasting the money on one. I can ask him on Monday if I think of it. It's on his Miata. He's going through a phase.

Flapjack

Lunatic engine swapper
Reaction score
I remember it having something to do with a window cycle, lock cycles, the e-brake and gear shift have to be set and in neutral, and something else I don't remember the whole thing. It was stupid enough I would have said screw it before wasting the money on one. I can ask him on Monday if I think of it. It's on his Miata. He's going through a phase.
I'm checking out the Viper remote start now:
https://www.viper.com/car/remotestart/product/4806v/viper-led-2-way-remote-start-system

From that article, it does look like a bit of a pita. You have to press a button on the remote, leave the car running in neutral, turn the key off (car set to stay running if button is pressed), set the e-brake, then get out. Once the door opens/closes, the system is set for remote start.

The downside is that if you open the car door again for anything, it resets the system. That doesn't happen for me much, as I'm really the only one who drives the car.

bigmike06GT

forum member
Reaction score

I have a compustar in my Mustang and to set it I have to put the car n neutral, pull the park brake on and turn the key off. When I close the door teh car stops running and is armed. My aunt has a 2013 Miata with a Viper Remote start and hers works exactly the same, no different than the normal procedure of turning off the car. Watch which unit you get as some do have weird procedures and aren't very reliable but the good ones are quick and easy to use.

Flapjack

Lunatic engine swapper
Reaction score
I have a compustar in my Mustang and to set it I have to put the car n neutral, pull the park brake on and turn the key off. When I close the door teh car stops running and is armed. My aunt has a 2013 Miata with a Viper Remote start and hers works exactly the same, no different than the normal procedure of turning off the car. Watch which unit you get as some do have weird procedures and aren't very reliable but the good ones are quick and easy to use.
Yeah... I read that. Seems pretty common for use in cars with manual transmissions. The plus side is that it has a built in turbo timer. Since I plan to eventually put twins on this, that's definitely a nice feature to have.

Flapjack

Lunatic engine swapper
Reaction score
Forgot to ask.... do you need to press a button on the key fob before you do all this? Another kit I looked at did, which I could easily see myself forgetting to do.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back