Removal/Install convertible trim

bcb06gt

Reaction score
I had my top replaced with a cloth top and the car looks great, except for the nasty rubber molding piece at the rear base of the convertible top. I want to replace this piece and was curious if someone has already replaced theirs and can give some tips. Also, the two side pieces need to be removed first. Are these held on with those great spring clips?

Pics are from the old top, not the new one.

Thanks.

Attachments

• rear trim.jpg
    rear trim.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 36
  • right rear trim.jpg
    right rear trim.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 32

delz05

forum member
Reaction score
I replaced mine a few years ago... the side mouldings do have those PITA clips... but the rear moulding is a press/push fit with a bit of adhesive. I painted mine to match the paint scheme...

bcb06gt

Reaction score
Does it come with the adhesive in the ford package? The ford parts website I saw should what looked like a gasket that wrapped around under those pieces.

Did you replace just the rear piece? Re-used the side pieces?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ZGrand

forum member
Reaction score
I just had my top replaced too, and my back trim piece looked bad as well (though a little better than yours). I went over the trim piece with steel wool and followed up with Back to Black. Definitely looks better - when the weather warms up a bit I might try sanding it lightly with some 400 grit sandpaper, followed by 1000 grit. Beats hassling with replacing it if it works. I figure if it doesn't work, I can always replace it anyway.

I don't have a "before" picture, but here is how it looked after the steel wool and Back to Black. (I went over it with a little tire dressing as well.)

Attachments

• CIMG2037.JPG
    CIMG2037.JPG
    152.1 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:

bcb06gt

Reaction score
I think I paid $1150 for the Cloth top installed. Robbins top with the extra sound insulation.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back