Removing dried wax on textured plastic

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
In the process of cleaning every inch of my 09 and that includes dismantling pretty much everything. I completely forgot that the Bullitt grille has some pretty terrible dried wax in it and I'm at a loss at trying to remove it.

What can I use to get this crap off?

Thanks!

Here are pictures for reference

equhu3en.jpg

penusysy.jpg

cbass

m̶o̶u̶t̶h̶s̶e̶x̶
Reaction score
I used a MrClean Magic Eraser on my dad's mini when he waxed it and it looked like he swapped the applicator for a potato.

ebrow21

forum member
Reaction score
Duragloss wax eraser worked ok for me.

Even though its not its intended purpose, I've found Menzerna Top Inspection works rather well at removing dried wax. Most people use it as a pre-cleaner when polishing a car to remove any fillers/oils and truly view paint.

In using it for that, I found it works great to wax off trim as well.

superslow86

forum member
Reaction score
IPA alcohol with distilled water, 50/50. I would even try warm water if it has been on there for a while, might help break it loose if its been on there for a while. IPA wont dry out the plastic like some other things will and is paint safe also. I use the 50/50 mix to strip the wax off my paint and remove any excess polish after using a buffer.

Or maybe a bug/tar remover just make sure you test it on the back or somewhere you wont be able to see it.

Last edited:

00blkvert

forum member
Reaction score
I usually use All purpose cleaner. I use megs apc either 10:1 and if it doesn't work I go with 4:1 with a small brush or tooth brush.

Fuerte

forum member
Reaction score
I used a rubber eraser before on my plastic trim.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk 2

superslow86

forum member
Reaction score
Dawn will dry out the plastic and draw out moisture from it which could lead to cracks and discoloration in the future. One time might not hurt but regular use will. But to each their own, just trying to help.

IPA (rubbing alcohol) and water mixed 50/50 will do the same as dawn (strip off wax and polish/compound residue) but will not dry out plastic trim.

Last edited:

NaS197

forum member
Reaction score
Add fresh was on top & wipe off

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back