Removing stripes??

beerformeplz

forum member
Reaction score
I plan on removing the stipe on my hood and leaving it plain white. Is this eaisly done without ruining the paint?

car4-1.jpg

Dex

I'm Dexolishous
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Heat gun. Just hot enough to peel off. You dont want to let the heat gun just sit on one area for a period of time. I started peeling it slow and kept the heat gun on it

beerformeplz

forum member
Reaction score
Heat gun. Just hot enough to peel off. You dont want to let the heat gun just sit on one area for a period of time. I started peeling it slow and kept the heat gun on it

How do I get rid of the residue it leaves behind?

Dex

I'm Dexolishous
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
3M adhesive remover I think. 3M worked really well, Goof Off worked but you had to scrub a bit. Go to Home Depot or Lowes and Im sure you can find something

beerformeplz

forum member
Reaction score
OMG....What a pita!!!!! Finally got the majority of it off whatever glue they used was the worse to get off. I had to buff most of it off. Only thing left is the hood scoop, and I think it looks ok with the orange on it.

Crappy cell phone pic

stripe.jpg

Croft

It's GOOOOOOO Time
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I like it with the stripe, BUT it looks even better with only the hood scoop stripe!! Keep it that way!!

Chronos

forum member
Reaction score
I like it too :beerdrink:

Btw good job, im looking to take mine off also in the next couple months.
Before you tackle it, allow it to sit in the sun for a while. I find that the sun will give you a more complete and even heat as opposed to a heat gun (and you wont burn your fingers).

beerformeplz

forum member
Reaction score
Before you tackle it, allow it to sit in the sun for a while. I find that the sun will give you a more complete and even heat as opposed to a heat gun (and you wont burn your fingers).

The sun didnt help at all. I had to spray adhesive remover as I slowly pulled on the stripe.

Chronos

forum member
Reaction score
The sun didnt help at all. I had to spray adhesive remover as I slowly pulled on the stripe.
Ouch! That must be some serious adhesive. I removed some manufacturer decals from a truck that I have and they came off real easy with just a little heat. Didn't really have that much residue left either.

Back