Residents of Harris County, TX with blowers:

MrClean

Marc; but I go by MrClean
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Do y'all have issues passing emissions test in Harris County? I'm thinking of getting the KB SC installed by Strictly Performance, but my car's a DD, so this is a major concern, because it has to be street legal.

Thanks.

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
Our cars do not get "sniffed". Plug in the scanner to the OBD port and if you have no codes popping up then you pass. Strictly has a good history of their cars passing inspection here in the Houston area. My twin turbo passed easily.

C-Liz-Go

Resident Realtor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Never an issue here, in Texas or MO for that matter.

MikeVistaBlue06

Inventor: Asshole Points
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Well I live in the DFW emission counties (Collin) and I have no trouble passing inspections either with my Saleen SC.

Be sure your tuner leaves the back two oxygen sensors on in the tune and you will be fine as long as there are no codes in your system or the CEL is on when you take it in.

Also, you need to be sure the car has been driven for a couple of weeks or 200 miles after a PCM reset (pulling battery cable will do that), to ensure everything shows "ready."

Hope this helps.

PS: Don't ya just love those $40 yearly inspections!?

Mike

terry5357

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Well I live in the DFW emission counties (Collin) and I have no trouble passing inspections either with my Saleen SC.

Be sure your tuner leaves the back two oxygen sensors on in the tune and you will be fine as long as there are no codes in your system or the CEL is on when you take it in.

Also, you need to be sure the car has been driven for a couple of weeks or 200 miles after a PCM reset (pulling battery cable will do that), to ensure everything shows "ready."

Hope this helps.

Mike

What I love is the $60 a year for registration, in La. it was $50 for 4 years

TexasKyle

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

Mike

Did you know that a portion of that $40 goes to pay for ppl that arent swift enough to save $35 bucks a yr for their inspection? (used to be cheaper to get an inspection, the most recent increase was for this purpose) "poor" folks need inspections too...course, how hard is it to come up with $35 over the course of a year? /end rant

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
Mine are turned off in the tune and it passed with no problems.

What I love is the $60 a year for registration, in La. it was $50 for 4 years
Yeah...but our roads are better for that extra money. Plus, we have considerably more roads.

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
As long as 2 or fewer monitored systems are 'Not Ready' or all are 'Ready', and you have no codes nor pending codes, the OBDII tests will pass.

I ran into a problem with my first custom tune that turned off the rear O2 sensors, and as a result, 3 of the montored systems came up as Not Ready during inspection. Since I just had CAI and exhaust at the time, I reset the tune to stock and drove it a few days, then it passed just fine.

If you aren't sure if your rear cats are enabled, and if you can run your stock tune for about a week, reset your tune to stock, run the car about a week (as a daily driver, within 1/4-3/4 tank of gas), and then get it inspected, and you should be fine (unless with a stock tune and headers you tend to throw codes).

yeah, emissions testing crap in Texas is a pain, but there are ways to pass inspection :) 'legally' ;) ...similar situation here in the Austin area, btw.

MrClean

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Maybe when I get the SC and a dyno-tune, I'll ask Strictly to make a "regular tune", a "low-octane" tune, and an "emissions" tune....

matt texass

Reaction score
In Galveston and Harris counties if the OBII machine cannot read your OBII port ( if your OBDII port is broken or you pull the fuse) it will kick directly to the dyno sniffer. If you have cats this should not be a problem.

MrClean

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Hmmmm... SC and low octane. Not normally a good mix IMO.
For emergency purposes...like in the aftermath of Ike....no premium gas...
In Galveston and Harris counties if the OBII machine cannot read your OBII port ( if your OBDII port is broken or you pull the fuse) it will kick directly to the dyno sniffer. If you have cats this should not be a problem.
Good info, thanks Matt.

TexasKyle

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

Weird. When I had the RX-8 in for it's last inspection, they couldnt get their machine to read off the OBDII, so they wouldn't even do anything else. No sticker, no charge. Told me to come back when it was fixed.

MikeVistaBlue06

Inventor: Asshole Points
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Maybe when I get the SC and a dyno-tune, I'll ask Strictly to make a "regular tune", a "low-octane" tune, and an "emissions" tune....

+1 on what Don said. It would have to be a mortified emergency for me to put 87 into mine now! If 93 wasn't available, I'd be lookin' for the closest thing to that 91..89..etc.

If you let someone like HPP install/tune your car, you won't have to worry about passing emissions!:clap:

Hope this helps.

Mike

terry5357

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If you let someone like HPP install/tune your car, you won't have to worry about passing emissions!:clap:

Hope this helps.

Mike

why is that Mike, do they do inspections or have a place they send you too

Back