Revolution Auto's Ported heads results

Konablue10Gt

forum member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

We were curious and excited to see what ported heads would be worth on our 2011 so we sent ours out to have a stage 1 port done and test the results. Our head porter was only give a weekend to work on the heads as we were under the gun to have the car back for a race.

The heads were flowed before and after, but I am going to keep those numbers to myself as I dont want to start a CFM war. I will say that the porting picked up both the intake and exhaust flow over 25 CFM.

We dynoed the car before and after the heads while it was still stock. By stock I mean paper air filter, stock exhaust, stock mufflers, factory 3.73's ect, ect. It did have an SCT 93 oct tune but that was it. No tuning changes were made for the before and after numbers on the inital dyno test.

The first dyno graph is the before and after of the heads with no tuning changes. As you can see the horsepower stayed the same and we actually lost about 6 foot pounds of torque. Simply stated the heads are not a resrtiction with the stock airbox and exhaust in place.

The second graph is a comparison of the heads on the stock setup compared to the following mods; JLT carbon CAI, American racing 1 7/8 headers, off road x pipe, stock over the axle pipes, Flowmaster Axlebacks, Alumnium drive shaft and 4.56's. I wish that we could have tested each part individually but time constraints kept us from doing so.

It picked up 54 rwhp & 30 rwtq with these mods. I know there is more in it as our dyno testing time was very limited, but those are the numbers right now. I know the heads are definitely giving me more power as it is pulling 122 mph in the quarter without being gutted, but I dont have an exact number for the power gains with the heads.

All of the dyno tests were done at operating temp(no 30 min cool downs, ice, ect, ect), in 5th gear, and on the factory 19's. The first two dyno graphs use an SAE correction factor, but the final graph I listed it with STD numbers because I have seen some others using that wanted to give them something to compare to.

I am going to reinstall the 3.73's and dyno it just to see what difference the gear change made to the numbers. I have seen reports of 5-20 rwhp differences from a gear swap so I want to know.

I have plenty of pictures of the heads and the whole installation procedure, just let me know what you guys would like too see.

Thanks

Adam

Revolution Automotive

Attachments

• scan0002.jpg
    scan0002.jpg
    303.9 KB · Views: 118
  • scan0003.jpg
    scan0003.jpg
    349.8 KB · Views: 124
  • scan0004.jpg
    scan0004.jpg
    291.1 KB · Views: 129

JJ@WMS

forum member
Reaction score
Some of your gains could be attributed to your leaner airfuel. Unless you can have before and after dyno results with the same airfuel its really hard to say for sure what made the increase in power. I'm sure the heads are helping but to what extent needs to be seen. I look forward to your future results.

Did you see that Cecil S197 shootout is a no go? Some of us are showing up anyway to run brackets, you still coming?

JJ

Konablue10Gt

forum member
Reaction score
JJ, yea the air fuel is def lean after all of the mods, we are trying to get back on the dyno on Friday to dial it in which would give a better comparison. The air fuel on the stock vs stock with heads is just about dead on though above 4000 rpm.

No, I didnt hear about the Cecil event being cancelled. That stinks!

John, I agree some more torque would have been nice too!

Derek, Definitely! Ill be there running along with some customer cars too.

DOHC_GTS

AKA RACER_X
Reaction score
Nice thread Hi-jack.

Back to the original topic.

As stated the heads alone are not the weak link. Think basic air pump. At 6500 rpm a 5.0 is only going to move X amount of air. The factory head cam intake & exhaust package is working in harmony at that level. How do you think they got this amount of HP from the little motor. To increas (X) and RWHP you need more than just ported heads. You will need headers and a CAI. To see all the potential of ported heads is going to take cams and an intake manifold, headers and more RPM.

Last edited:

kmracer

forum member
Reaction score
why wouldnt you do bolt ons THEN do the heads? which is the order most people do it in?

Germeezy3

forum member
Reaction score
And the 5.0 heads already flow better than some of the noted good flowing heads, they kill the 5.4 4V head flow and LS3 as well. I would think that the porting would have picked up some flow in the mid lift flow zone with the porting but it does not appear that they did. Also 122 mph has been seen on cars with similar mods and no heads.

I am curious as to what the upper limits of the 5.0's internals are as far as piston speed and valvetrain wise to be able to spin the 7500 rpm plus neccesary to use the additional air flow. With the amazing flow of the stock heads or even ported Stage 1 heads, I would imagine with an intake that does not flow stall and VVT cams with enough lift the engine could easily make power over 8,000 rpm.

I am clapping my hands together because for years I have wished there was a way to make big N/A power similar to what the LSx is capable of without costing three times as much as going FI. Sure the LSx still has an edge as far as N/A gains per dollar but damn this 5.0 is making crazy power and its just at the beginning of this engines life.

I wonder when someone is going to have the DI bosses drilled and run something crazy like 14:1 compression with a hybrid DI/ Port injection system.

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
And the 5.0 heads already flow better than some of the noted good flowing heads, they kill the 5.4 4V head flow and LS3 as well. I would think that the porting would have picked up some flow in the mid lift flow zone with the porting but it does not appear that they did. Also 122 mph has been seen on cars with similar mods and no heads.

I am curious as to what the upper limits of the 5.0's internals are as far as piston speed and valvetrain wise to be able to spin the 7500 rpm plus neccesary to use the additional air flow. With the amazing flow of the stock heads or even ported Stage 1 heads, I would imagine with an intake that does not flow stall and VVT cams with enough lift the engine could easily make power over 8,000 rpm.

I am clapping my hands together because for years I have wished there was a way to make big N/A power similar to what the LSx is capable of without costing three times as much as going FI. Sure the LSx still has an edge as far as N/A gains per dollar but damn this 5.0 is making crazy power and its just at the beginning of this engines life.

I wonder when someone is going to have the DI bosses drilled and run something crazy like 14:1 compression with a hybrid DI/ Port injection system.

Exciting times indeed. Stock valve springs are pretty limited. Anything past 6800 is pushing them. A few items on the horizon that will allow the motor to push further:

1. Cams
2. Intake
3. Stronger valve springs
4. 8K rev limiter

That with ported heads should start pushing around 500WHP N/A.

Germeezy3

forum member
Reaction score
Exciting times indeed. Stock valve springs are pretty limited. Anything past 6800 is pushing them. A few items on the horizon that will allow the motor to push further:

1. Cams
2. Intake
3. Stronger valve springs
4. 8K rev limiter

That with ported heads should start pushing around 500WHP N/A.

Part of me wonders what the intake flow stalls at I wonder if they are doing the old GM trick of an intake that flows stall at a certain point before the factory redline. I have heard stories of tuned cars running 7500 or 7600 rpm is the valvetrain on borrowed time at those elevated rpms?

I would imagine there is a reason they chose a completely different intake for the Boss and Laguna Seca cars to gain only 28 hp at the peak with less torque. I would love to see a max effort 5.0 build with very high lift VVT cams, more compression, and DI.

Konablue10Gt

forum member
Reaction score
Yes, I have seen two other cars run 122 mph. However they had engine work or extensive weight savings.

Livernois has a 12:1 short block with cnc'd heads, FRPP intake, Cobra Jet t/b and mass air. JPC's car is removed of anything that doesnt help it go faster. It has lightweight race brakes front and rear, rear seat delete, Kirkley driver side seat, ect ect. I would bet that their car weighs a good 350 lbs less then mine.

Just stating facts here, Im not calling anybody out. Both Livernois and JPC build quality cars that always run great numbers. You cant deny HP to weight. In any car MPH is a direct reflection of HP to weight.

Its just three different approaches to accomplish the same goal. I am not trying to start a pissing war between myself and other shops. I am shareing this info for the good of the customers. If you want a drag only car then go that route. If you want a nice street car that can get it done in the 1/4, then go another.

Germeezy3

forum member
Reaction score
Yes, I have seen two other cars run 122 mph. However they had engine work or extensive weight savings.

Livernois has a 12:1 short block with cnc'd heads, FRPP intake, Cobra Jet t/b and mass air. JPC's car is removed of anything that doesnt help it go faster. It has lightweight race brakes front and rear, rear seat delete, Kirkley driver side seat, ect ect. I would bet that their car weighs a good 350 lbs less then mine.

Just stating facts here, Im not calling anybody out. Both Livernois and JPC build quality cars that always run great numbers. You cant deny HP to weight. In any car MPH is a direct reflection of HP to weight.

Its just three different approaches to accomplish the same goal. I am not trying to start a pissing war between myself and other shops. I am shareing this info for the good of the customers. If you want a drag only car then go that route. If you want a nice street car that can get it done in the 1/4, then go another.

You are very right, I went back and looked at info on that car...the JPC car has 4.88 gears and is a light weight car...and the Livernois car does have Stage 1 heads and a CR bump. I applaud you guys for being at the forefront of this engines development, and I am sure by the time we are looking at Stage 3 heads from you with VVT cams and a higher redline to take advantage of airflow improvements we are going to be looking at 500 rwhp or more!

Is your car stock weight other than the suspension changes?

Konablue10Gt

forum member
Reaction score
No. I also have a UPR rad support, lightweight battery, and an alumnium driveshaft in it. Most of the weight savings were offset by the rollbar though. I weighed it last night on the factory 19's and a 1/4 tank of fuel and it came in at 3480 without me in it. So on the slicks and skinnies on it should be around 3380-3400. I weigh 165 so that puts my race weight at around 3550 +/- depending on how much gas is in it.

Last edited:

damnlucky11

Reaction score
not too bad in my opinion

I agree with the statement concluding that the heads are not the biggest restriction in the system to free up rwhp. If the biggest restriction is left in the system but the setup around the restriction improves, the effeciency of the improvements are never justified. The supporting modification with head ported did pretty good compared to what everyone else is getting. I dyno'd mine last week in 95 degree weather at sealevel it ran 411.15 rwhp at 6800 rpm with 401 rwtq with leathal's off road x pipe, with there tune and steeda intake also roush racing cat back. The a/f were ok not perfect but pretty good for a mail order tune. ill post the graph later on.

SRTthis

Reaction score
No. I also have a UPR rad support, lightweight battery, and an alumnium driveshaft in it. Most of the weight savings were offset by the rollbar though. I weighed it last night on the factory 19's and a 1/4 tank of fuel and it came in at 3480 without me in it. So on the slicks and skinnies on it should be around 3380-3400. I weigh 165 so that puts my race weight at around 3550 +/- depending on how much gas is in it.

im calling bull shit on that one! you cant be more then a buck fitty

you should be in the 10's next weekend man! go get it done man!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back