Roll Bar for 2008 Mustang Convertible

Ret

forum member
Reaction score
I've been considering having a roll bar installed. The price for the bar itself just shy of $400.00. Supposedly easy to install but likely would have local shop install. Is the bar a good protective devise or just something for show. I don't do any wild driving but doesn't mean someone wouldn't hit us.

Has anyone had any experience with this accessory, install or accidents?

2008 Mustang GT-CS.jpg

AHaze

Reaction score
IMO real 6 point roll bar should only be used in conjunction with a race harness and a helmet. At public road speeds, without those other safety items, a roll bar is likely to do more damage to the occupants than it prevents.

JimC

Reaction score
I had a custom roll bar made for my 2006 - convertibles quicker than 13.49 have to have a roll bar. The total cost, fabricated and installed was around $1,000 for mine. You lose use of the back seat but it is pretty tight for passengers anyway.

Ret

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. The bar I had looked at was from American Muscle. In my mind was questioning its strength and the strength at the connection point.

The pictures you guys have posted obviously much stronger and safe for the occupants of the car.

roll bar.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

JimC

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. The bar I had looked at was from American Mussel. In my mind was questioning its strength and the strength at the connection point.

The pictures you guys have posted obviously much stronger and safe for the occupants of the car.

View attachment 82132
That is not a roll bar, it is a styling bar. It doesn't offer any roll over protection and the instructions advise you of that.

It does look good though. I had one in my 2013 but we were trying to figure out how to do the custom roll bar to fit with it as well. Sold the car though after blowing it up 3 times trying to tune the turbo.

Ret

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks Jim that's what I'm looking for. The picture I posted was just to show what it looked like., I did find one that looks like that and was described as a roll bar.

None the less your comments reenforce what I was thinking. I can't see it doing much for you in a collision, where you roll over.

jmustang

Reaction score
Take a look at the maximum motorsports roll bar. Pretty straight forward install and the backseat is actually useable if you don’t opt for the cross brace. Good look getting the interior plastics to fit again after though.

Be careful with cheap roll bars and their mounting points. I’ve seen pictures where they punch right through the floor in a rollover. MM rollbar has the best mounting points IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ret

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks Jim and jmustang. So far, you two are saving me about $500.00 but I haven't gone to Motorsports yet.

Jim, for some reason each picture you gave me gives an error message when you try to open them. Along with the error message it says I don't have authority to open this album.

Midlife Crises

Reaction score
The Maximum Motorsports role bar is a nice unit. It can be purchased in a few different configurations. Here is the 6 point with welded in crossbar and door bars removed.

EE3D6A0A-A196-44FE-B1CD-7549CEA07987.jpeg

JimC

Reaction score
Thanks Jim and jmustang. So far, you two are saving me about $500.00 but I haven't gone to Motorsports yet.

Jim, for some reason each picture you gave me gives an error message when you try to open them. Along with the error message it says I don't have authority to open this album.
I'm not sure what is causing that. I had to set up an album to post the pictures and it's the first time I tried one.

Curtis B

Reaction score
I went with an AutoPower 4 point roll bar that included a harness bar and slant down tube. When i was looking the MM rollbar for convertibles doesn't offer the harness bar. They do for the coupe but not the convertible. Once installed the backseats are not usable for passengers, either in the amount of space left or more importantly, the risk of smacking your head in a sudden stop. The car becomes a two seater only.

20210515_184631.jpg

20210526_144812.jpg

Ret

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks Curtis. They're pretty much a two-seater anyway. I've only been able to put two small kids in the back and another time one small, framed lady fit. The back seats aren't much use. They do hold packs of paper towels and other groceries that are heavy enough to not blow out of the car.

Good thing we love these cars. Makes it easier to overlook the bad!

Zavid

Reaction score
That is not a roll bar, it is a styling bar. It doesn't offer any roll over protection and the instructions advise you of that.

It does look good though. I had one in my 2013 but we were trying to figure out how to do the custom roll bar to fit with it as well. Sold the car though after blowing it up 3 times trying to tune the turbo.

Still have the old cage?!

JC SSP

Reaction score
I have to ask... Are you going for the look or the safety & structural improvements?

I considered a real welded in roll bar on my 06' GT covert, but after looking at all the options decided to keep the back seats and use the $1K in other mods.

Please remember if you get into an accident where you roll the car or tussle about in a spin-out... without being properly strapped in or wearing a helmet, your head is very soft compared to the roll bar tubing and not having the appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE) can do more damage than not having the roll bar at all.

I still think they look great and provide a certain level of protection, but you do have to consider other factors. Such is life...

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back